Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 kids: Minivan -> X...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ammulder

3,X,FSD Beta
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2019
Philly area
So it's like this. We got a Model 3 to replace my old sedan. The "family car" is an Odyssey minivan.

It's taken less than a week for my wife and I to repeatedly say to each other, "if only the Tesla could fit six..."

Our main concern is that we take 1-2 road trips a year to spend 1-2 weeks with grandparents. No worries on range (if you think we stop less often than once every 2 hours with 4 kids, I'd like some of what you're smoking!). The real concern is cargo.

With seats in use (either 6/7 for the 7-seater or all for the 6-seater), how much can you really fit? We normally take a bunch of carry-on size suitcases, a ton of random crap, and a hitch-mounted bicycle rack. We can surely cut down on the random crap, if that's the only way this is going to work. But can we fit 4-6 carry-on suitcases behind the 3rd row? Does the bike rack work OK?

This isn't a near-term thing on account of we just bought the model 3 and the minivan isn't worth that much as a trade. But I'm wondering whether it's even realistic at all. Even with all seats up the Odyssey has a LOT of room for cargo.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
We have a similar dilemma. Our 2015 Odyssey Elite is an awesome machine. With 7 passengers, the cargo capacity is still awesome. The Model X cannot do this. We want one so badly but thinking it can replace your van with your cargo and people capacity needs is a mistake. I still want one. We are a family of 5 so we can get by with the 7 seater but it's still no replacement for the Odyssey.

• Informative
Reactions: RedMS
Same situation. Got model 3. Now want an X. But our Toyota Sienna stores so much stuff. We are looking at the six seater since leg room will be much improved. But it’s hard to let go of that minivan storage.

I would think up to 6 carryons behind 3rd row is not happening. But it does have a tow package so you could consider a small box trailer.

Disclosure: We have an S, X, and 3, and a Honda Odyssey. We kept the Odyssey cause it was paid off and a few times a year we do need to haul 8 passengers or transport large cargo.

Model X is no Odyssey. With Odyssey you can fit 8 passengers and still have room for a half dozen large suitcases. Model X can fit 6 or 7 passengers and maybe 3-4 small suitcases in the trunk and frunk. Maybe another 1 or 2 small suitcases inside the cabin with the 6-seat version. With that said, there are things you can do to make family road trips work. Instead of suitcases, use duffel bags. Instead of full sized strollers, use nano strollers. Use a cargo carrier on the tow hitch for additional luggage if needed.

Would suggest you see an X in person. It’s a great SUV and does have a lot of room, but Odyssey is still the king. I’ll give Tesla a kidney if they ever make a Model V with 8 seats (including removable 2nd row seats) and as much storage as the Odyssey.

A few more points:

Despite loving the utility and amount of storage space, I hate actually driving the Odyssey. Every time we do have to use it, I get back pain, arm pain, leg pain, and headaches (mostly due to lack of autopilot). It’s slow to accelerate and hard to brake. The Odyssey’s navigation and media system is horrendous. And it’s $80+ to fill up.

I would think up to 6 carryons behind 3rd row is not happening. But it does have a tow package so you could consider a small box trailer.

My concern with the trailer is that we'd need to do a lot of charging on the trips (still more when towing), and I get the feeling that many/most Superchargers aren't configured for a trailer. If it's going to go that far, maybe it would be better to just rent a vehicle for the road trips? Sad, but...

I'd way rather bend over backward to use every available bit of cargo space (including aisle space in 6-seater, though each kid will need somewhere to stuff a backpack too), and mail some stuff separately if we had to. For some reason I wasn't considering the frunk -- is it substantially bigger than the on one the 3?

We would definitely miss the ability to carry 8 (friends or grandparents), and the cavernous storage... but only maybe 4 or 5 days a year outside of the trips. I think it would be overwhelmed by the joy of driving a Tesla the rest of the year. Is it too selfish to say that everyone else in the world seems to have a large SUV or minivan, so THEY can be the ones to "carry the whole team?"

It's only the road trips where we HAVE to move 6 people plus lots of cargo (plus 4 bicycles).

A few more points:

Despite loving the utility and amount of storage space, I hate actually driving the Odyssey. Every time we do have to use it, I get back pain, arm pain, leg pain, and headaches (mostly due to lack of autopilot). It’s slow to accelerate and hard to brake. The Odyssey’s navigation and media system is horrendous. And it’s $80+ to fill up.

Oh, yeah, it's a PIG to drive, and the infotainment is abysmal. No question. That's why it only took a few days of driving the Model 3 before we're having this conversation! :)

Our sienna is valued at 18k for trade in so I would love to keep it for the larger utility tasks but I’d love to put that $$ towards trade in. With tax savings that’s a value of 19k towards model X. Good point with supercharging while towing. I guess you could just detach and leave on side of charging area?

We used to have a Pacifica hybrid, now have a 6 seat MX. MX’s cargo space is no where close to the minivan. 3rd row is so cramped. And MX’s hatchback design means you can’t fit lots of luggage neither.

If you need a family hauler minivan is the way to go.

Same situation. Got model 3. Now want an X. But our Toyota Sienna stores so much stuff. We are looking at the six seater since leg room will be much improved. But it’s hard to let go of that minivan storage.

I think this right here shows how minivan owners like me that fall madly in love (lust?) with Model X can resort to impractical solutions to justify the Tesla. This would be fine for occasional use but not practical at all. That's not criticism to yerEVan.....I understand the affliction!

I think this right here shows how minivan owners like me that fall madly in love (lust?) with Model X can resort to impractical solutions to justify the Tesla. This would be fine for occasional use but not practical at all. That's not criticism to yerEVan.....I understand the affliction!
It’s definitely blind love. But I don’t see an EV option, to replace the MV, anytime soon and our car loses value each day, and if you want to try to remove petrol vehicles from your life, you need to be creative and flexible. But you may have some regret if you do swap.

It’s definitely blind love. But I don’t see an EV option, to replace the MV, anytime soon and our car loses value each day, and if you want to try to remove petrol vehicles from your life, you need to be creative and flexible. But you may have some regret if you do swap.

Pretty sure I’ll have have more regret if I don’t! :)

We used to have a Pacifica hybrid, now have a 6 seat MX. MX’s cargo space is no where close to the minivan. 3rd row is so cramped. And MX’s hatchback design means you can’t fit lots of luggage neither.

Two of the kids are still small, so we have time yet where a cramped row is OK.

If you need a family hauler minivan is the way to go.

Yeah, I can’t argue. It’s just that for so much of the year, we really don’t. Day to day we’re fine with six seats and minimal cargo. I’m just trying to wrap my mind around how the few exceptions could work.

Yeah, I can’t argue. It’s just that for so much of the year, we really don’t. Day to day we’re fine with six seats and minimal cargo. I’m just trying to wrap my mind around how the few exceptions could work.

Renting a mini van when you need it would be a viable option. Weekly rates are very inexpensive. It’s something I’m considering if we can find an affordable X.

Reactions: cantbechanged

I live near the Devon SC and they allow you to take a test drive vehicle home over night. If you get it Saturday then you can keep it until Monday. I was going to do it, but then they announced the Model X/S refresh in late April so told them I’ll do the overnight test drive when they get the refreshed test vehicles. So that’s a good way to run the Model X through the gamut. Before buying.

• Love
Reactions: ammulder

Best EV option we found was the Pacifica Hybrid. 33 miles in a single charge. Unfortunately it is a Chrysler. It was great until it stopped working all of a sudden.

Why not get the X for everyday driving the kids around and then rent an Odyssey or a mini-van for a week or two when you need the space?

Or be like us. As the kids got older (>5-6) we quit driving 8 hours to the grandparents and started flying. :) With cheap airlines like SouthWest the price is not much more than the gas to drive a 15MPG SUV/Van that far.