TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

4 month storage question

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by mdlambert, May 7, 2015.

1. mdlambert

mdlambert Member

I am about to leave my winter home for about 4 months. I'm not sure what I should do about charging my P85D. Leave it plugged in at a percentage charge? Don't leave it plugged in? Change a setting ?

Please advise

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

If leaving it plugged in is an option, then by all means leave it plugged in and set the charge level to the lowest (50%) setting. A shame to leave it...why not take it home with you...or drive it home?

3. Kalud

Kalud Member

4. mdlambert

mdlambert Member

Thanks for the notes

5. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

#5 Cottonwood, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    I would leave it plugged in with the charge threshold set at 50% as others have said.

In addition, make sure that you can access the car from a phone app, Visible Tesla, etc to verify that charging is still happening. With the App and notifications on, you will see that the Vampire is being fed every few days which is a good reassurance that all is well. If for some reason the charging stops, then the Vampire will drain the battery. If you can leave a key and access with someone there, they can restart charging (unplug and replug is usually all that is needed) or take other measures to get charging started again.

To minimize the Vampire drain, in Settings, under "Display", turn "energy savings" on, and uncheck "always connected."

6. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Very helpful thread. I just picked up my S last week and was not sure about what would happen if I have the car for a couple of days where I can not charge. If I'm understanding the above correctly it is ok to stay unplugged for even several days provided the battery has lots of charge to start. Y'all please correct me on my understanding if Ive got that wrong.

7. efusco

Sure, a few days, even a week or so is OK. In a pinch you could likely go several weeks if the car is set up properly to minimize vampire drain. But, ideally, you want to plug in daily.

8. rickgt

rickgt Enthusiast owner/member

be careful about the always connected part... If you do that, it will be hard to check on the car from the app

9. efusco

Not true, you can still wake it up via the app.

10. jmhays

jmhays New Member

Not to worry, just leave me the keys and I will GLADLY charge it for you every single night. I will also drive it during the day just to make sure the charging station works as expected. I won't even charge you for the service :)

11. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Member

I'll second the offer and keep it between 40-60% SOC for the best battery life.:cool:[video]https://youtu.be/ugGyoGtPMbA[/video]

12. Park2670

Park2670 Member

I have an unused 14-50 in my garage if you want to keep your car there charged. Ill make sure it stays clean and pretty. I am just on the other side of the mountain.