Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 months with my P100D and my biggest gripe...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anzir

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2012
Central Florida
...is the turning radius. I've owned and driven many cars before this and my X is far worse than all of them when it comes to maneuverability. Trying to make a U-turn on a 4-lane divided road with a thin median requires a 3-point turn. My last vehicle was a Yukon XL and it turned better. Is this just how it is?

Maybe just a wild guess but on the Yukon it was not available with anywhere near the power the X is, and what power it does have is less.likely to be heavily applied.

This would lead to the X front drivetrain to have to be developed to be pretty significantly more robust which may have caused them to limit CV joint operation angles, not allowing so much turning angle front tires.

My P85 is RWD, never looked at the front drive setup on an S or X so this is just a WAG from a mechanically inclined person.

I think it may be better than you think, if done a certain way. The steering will not allow sharp turns at speed, since the power would tend to make that unsafe. Try stopping, turning the wheel all the way, then go. I know, you can't always do that, but try it.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
I think it may be better than you think, if done a certain way. The steering will not allow sharp turns at speed, since the power would tend to make that unsafe. Try stopping, turning the wheel all the way, then go. I know, you can't always do that, but try it.

I don’t have an X but interested in getting one. I wonder if it’s part of “traction control”. Is an S as limited?

Trying to make a U-turn on a divided road requires that. It doesn't help. Hopefully the next generation X is better.

...is the turning radius. I've owned and driven many cars before this and my X is far worse than all of them when it comes to maneuverability. Trying to make a U-turn on a 4-lane divided road with a thin median requires a 3-point turn. My last vehicle was a Yukon XL and it turned better. Is this just how it is?

I just did a u-turn on a divided highway that was 2-lanes. I am running 20" wheels with car in low.

X is a large car, with large wide tires and AWD. That usually results in a larger turning radius.

Agree that a shorter turning radius would be better.

I just googled some specs and GM shows the Yukon XL as having a turning Radius of 43' and the Model x only 38.8' curb to curb. Model X was shorter. Maybe an X with the 22' wheels turns a little wider.

Interesting that the standard Yukon had a shorter turning radius than the XL. Maybe due to different tires.

Last edited:

You Sir, have never driven an older Volvo huh? They enjoyed using horizontally mounted inline 5 engines. The result? A smallish 2007 Volvo S60R (wheelbase: 106.9", track: 61.3") has a turning circle of 42.7ft o_O.

Other 3 Row "SUV" comparisons.
Acura MDX: 38.7'
Mazda CX9: 38.8'
Volvo XC90: 39.7'
Mercedes GL: 40.7'
Audi Q7: 40.7'
Lincoln Navigator: 40.82'
BMW X5: 41.4'

Compared to our X (wheelbase: 116.7", track 65.4") has a turning circle of 38.8ft We have a pretty tight circle already for the car class.

You Sir, have never driven an older Volvo huh? They enjoyed using horizontally mounted inline 5 engines. The result? A smallish 2007 Volvo S60R (wheelbase: 106.9", track: 61.3") has a turning circle of 42.7ft o_O.

Other 3 Row "SUV" comparisons.
Acura MDX: 38.7'
Mazda CX9: 38.8'
Volvo XC90: 39.7'
Mercedes GL: 40.7'
Audi Q7: 40.7'
Lincoln Navigator: 40.82'
BMW X5: 41.4'

Compared to our X (wheelbase: 116.7", track 65.4") has a turning circle of 38.8ft We have a pretty tight circle already for the car class.

I was hoping you were going to drop the 240 in here as the older Volvo! I still have 2 ;) Love my 240's!

Turning circle is pretty big for sure, but it's a large car and as demonstrated above it is in line with its direct competition. It would benefit from 4 wheel steering, but the last car I had with that feature (Honda Prelude) felt weird and unintuitive when manoeuvring!

I've been paying attention to turning in my X and I don't have a problem. I'm pretty sure it is better than any of the trucks I've had other than my Toyota "pickup". So old it had no other designation. Truck without a name. What I don't like is the limited view. I'm used to being able to turn my head to see anything. The Tesla is not terrible, but I'm never confident without some serious craning of my neck. I think it's the shape of the windows tapering off in the back.