Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Post Lift?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone here put their Model S up on a Home version 4 post lift( 7-8000lb versions)? Most of these lifts are in the 73-75" wide ramp to ramp, and a Model S is 77.5" rim to rim.
Any particular brand(s) that have been tried/purchased?
Looking at maybe getting one, but want to be sure it'll work with a Model S.
TIA
Kaveman

I'd suggest you look into the kind of lifts that has the moveable arms instead of drive on ramps. You can do more work on a vehicle if its supported by the frame instead of the tires.

I dont have a car lift at home but as far as a brand recommendation i have a K&L motorcycle lift (one of the good pneumatic ones) and its pretty awesome and works flawlessly for aver 10 years now. They also make car lift so perhaps check them out.

I don't have a 4 post lift but I use the QuickJack BL-7000EXT and its just wide enough to barely reach the jack points on the car. Usually QuickJacks are used along the length of the vehicle, but the MS has the points very very far apart, so instead you need to position the jacks along the width of the vehicle. If you are fine with making minor adjustment to placement of the jacks I'd recommend the QuickJack also since they can be picked up and stored away they take up less space when not in use. Also one thing to note is if you have a rear motor car the QuickJacks wont work since there is more weight in the rear than the front so they jacks raise at different rates.

This is what I might get in the event that I need to do serious work on my S.

It seems like it would work. I was looking into the easiest way to remove the HV battery in case of a battery failure. I think I can lift the car, then put it on extra tall jackstands, then reposition the arms to support the battery, then I can unbolt it and lower it down.

Thanks for the suggestions. There is an issue or two with a 2 post setup. 1st: the concrete you bolt it to has to have 8" thickness( I believe). most residential garages may be 6". 2nd: If you plan to store a vehicle, not sure I want the suspension to just "hang".
As for Quick Jacks: I'm tired of laying on the garage floor to do repairs... I've got some "safe jack" Stands. I must be getting old! LOL!
I'm looking at this one: Parking Lifts 408P -
Just a bit narrow between ramps, but won't be storing the Model S on it.
Keep em' coming..
Tx
Kaveman

It all depends on what you plan to use the lift for. For storing a car I would get the four post lift. For actually working on the car I'd get a four finger lift. I've owned and used both types. The finger lifts are really good for working on tires, brakes, suspension. Both types are good for engine, transmission and rear end work. The four post lifts can have an removable aluminum floor that you can use to shield the lower car from oil leaks. Also check the height dimension of the car
on the lift and garage door clearance.
I'd avoid Bendpak brand as they have very poor service.

Anyone park their car under the lift? I have a 4 post lift from "The Lift Store". I know the MS is about 78 inches wide and the space between my post are about 88 inches. 5 inches per side just seems scarry.
Second. I have 2 scissors jacks on my lift so I can get a wheels in the air at once. A bit concerned about the weight. Anyone try this?

I've got a couple APlusLift HW-8SXLT which are 75" wide and most my cars tires hang over an inch or so on each side....but no issues.

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    592.9 KB · Views: 269
A friend of mine with a Plaid S parks his car under his 4 post lift. I am not sure who makes it though. Just watch your head getting out! Before he took delivery he had me test my car under it and I bonked my head getting out of the car.

A friend of mine with a Plaid S parks his car under his 4 post lift. I am not sure who makes it though. Just watch your head getting out! Before he took delivery he had me test my car under it and I bonked my head getting out of the car.
lucky I'm short. Right now we park our Miata under the lift. we got rid of the Slingshot a few years back. Miata a much better toy. I have 12 fit ceilings in the garage and the lotus is only about 42" high. I have about 5'10'' under the lift and I'm 5'9'' on low gravity days. Was more concerned about the width.