Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 vs 8 camera, rear-view and blind spot detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With today's announced updates, tesla.com/autopilot refers to a total of 8 cameras.

The Model S ordering page makes it clear that "Enhanced Autopilot" comes with 4 cameras. "Full Self-Driving Capability" unlocks the other 4.

What's not mentioned is which 4 are in Enhanced Autopilot. I'm assuming that these 4 are the 3 front facing, and the rear-view which is now used for Enhanced Autopilot.

I'm curious how (if at all) this improves blindspot detection. It seems like a combination of rear-view and improved ultrasonics could make a real difference here.

What's confusing to me is that this is described (on the order page) as helping to "see fast-approaching vehicles in adjacent lanes". For this to be optimal, you'd presumably want the "Rearward-Looking Side Cameras" that cover a larger arc and distance.

Anyone heard anything definitive from Tesla on this?

Makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Why change the number of cameras that are enabled when all the cameras are going to be there anyways.

Right now the side-spot monitoring is greatly hindered by the ultrasonics. Even if they had more that are better it won't fix the problem. The only way to fix the problem fully is to have camera's, but I don't see how they would have any for the sides with a 4 camera setup.

One possible 'out' Tesla have here is they describe "Side Collision Warning" as a "Standard Safety Feature". It doesn't make sense to have a worse performing safety feature just because "Full Self-Driving" isn't purchased. So, maybe they'd actually enable those cameras for that purpose only.

I guess when cars are shipping it'll be easy to verify by covering those side facing cameras and assessing the difference.

It'll be interesting to see how these 'double range' ultrasonics work when coupled with rear facing cameras (either single or the set of 3). Others like Mercedes have fantastic blind spot monitoring with radar.

So in other words, the cheapest one can get any form of what used to be called Autopilot is now $5000 whereas it was $2500 when i got my car. Wow. Stiff increase even though the features are better.
And the further upgrade to full autonomy is "only" $3000 more. Seems to me that next increment would be worth more than the lower level functionality -- So I'd have expected the prices to be more like $3000 for the basic package and $5000 for the fully autonomous.
I hope there is a less expensive version available for Model 3....even if it has to have fewer capabilities.

What's not mentioned is which 4 are in Enhanced Autopilot. I'm assuming that these 4 are the 3 front facing, and the rear-view which is now used for Enhanced Autopilot.

I assume the four cameras are the main Front camera, the two side rear facing cameras, and then either the rear camera or one of the additional front cameras. The additional four cameras provide a little more coverage and redundancy so that even if one camera gets too dirty to be usable the car can still continue. (But maybe with limited functionality depending on which camera goes out.)

I assume the four cameras are the main Front camera, the two side rear facing cameras, and then either the rear camera or one of the additional front cameras. The additional four cameras provide a little more coverage and redundancy so that even if one camera gets too dirty to be usable the car can still continue. (But maybe with limited functionality depending on which camera goes out.)

That seems like a very good assumption. Especially since the Design studio under Enhanced Autopilot says:

Qoute
... and to see fast-approaching vehicles in adjacent lanes.
End-Qoute

That will require the two side rear facing cameras.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I wouldn't concentrate too much on which features use which sensors, unless you're doing so out of technical curiosity. Imho, the better way to look at it is that it costs $5k for one set of features (A), and $3k for an additional set (B), and you must buy A to buy B.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman and Bilen
I wouldn't concentrate too much on which features use which sensors, unless you're doing so out of technical curiosity. Imho, the better way to look at it is that it costs $5k for one set of features (A), and $3k for an additional set (B), and you must buy A to buy B.

Both technical curiosity and whether to cancel a built-but-not-yet-delivered car and reorder, in large part to get better blind spot detection.

tbh I'm assuming that's just marketing spin designed to drive upsell of the full autonomy option.

No reason to believe they will actually choose not to use the data from the 4 side cameras in order to give the best implementation of autopilot features like blind spot detect - that would just be making their developers' jobs unncessarily harder.

Every car that supports enhanced AP is going to have 8 cameras, so why not use the 8 feeds if it makes the implementation easier?

Yeah, and imagine the headlines. "Tesla AP crashed into $OBSTACLE after failing to recognize lane markings because cameras 2, 3, 6 and 7 are disabled by software". I don't think they really ignore those 4 camera inputs. It makes no sense. They should (and I hope they do) simply disable the self-driving features when not on a freeway, which appears to match the described difference in functionality. Oh, and add some nags to keep hands on wheel.

What about the going from one camera to four? There is no option for one camera which suggests, to me anyways that it's included?

One camera is needed for the AP safety features that have been in every Tesla for two years now - automatic emergency braking, forward collision warning, etc. I'm site those things will continue to be standard (once the firmware update to enable them goes out, anyway.)

I don't see any reason to believe you'll get what until recently were called Autopilot Convenience Features running on that one camera, though.