Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 week MIT course "Deep Learning for Self-Driving Cars" open to all starts Jan 7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lex Fridman - 4 week MIT course Deep Learning for Self-Driving Cars
Starts Monday Jan 7, M-F, 3-4:30p, MIT Green Building, Room 54-100
MIT Deep Learning
Open to all!

If you're an MIT student, register for 6.S094, 6.S091, and 6.S093 at the following link: MIT WebSIS: For Students. If you're not an MIT student, you're welcome to attend, it's open to all. Videos will be posted online shortly after. It will not be live streamed.

Note from Michael: This is a regular MIT course that Lex has graciously made "open to all". Please be respectful of the classroom environment. I plan to attend most of the lectures. I highly recommend the first two (Jan 8 & 9), his overview of the autonomous vehicle (AV) space is astoundingly comprehensive (I was blown away last year). Speakers will include AV and Deep Learning experts from NVIDIA, GM, WAYMO, AUDI, LYFT and many more. Lets meet on the left (facing the chalk board) after class to debrief, look for the tall skinny guy with the ball cap.

Here is a link to the location including parking, MIT Directions to Room 54-100.

Wish I could attend this. I'm an auto-pilot Luddite and would probably fail. Don't get me wrong, I want auto-pilot to work, but I'll only use it when they take my license away! I feel the transition will be rocky, and refuse to use it past the trial period since there are so many phantom issues.

I want auto-pilot to work, but I'll only use it when they take my license away!
Well...bear in mind "when they take your license away" you won't be allowed in the driver seat of an automobile. But, yeah, I'll credit you with a tongue-in-cheek comment there. Frankly EAP works remarkably well. There are a couple of edge cases where it needs more work. Once you identify or borrow on others identifying them, TACC is wonderful, Lane Keep is largely wonderful, and Nav on Autopilot is largely wonderful. That said, if you don't do interstates then NoA is of little use. I had dynamic cruise control on my 2012 and used it virtually 100% of the time. As I recall, Toyota wanted $10,000 for that and heated front seats. Frankly it's a steal at $5k. But God made chocolate because not everybody loves vanilla. I think the issue comes down to, do people want to purchase something at a discount while beta to get the free upgrade to GA or pay more and wait for GA (general availability).

I found it slowing down from 75 to the low 60's for no particular reason (bend in road, truck in lane to right; color on pavement changes, slows down same amount; etc). This is unsafe to me, you can't be in the left lane on a virtually open road and slow down like that, not a one time thing, very reproducible. I'd rather not beta test this feature, I enjoy driving too much.

I found it slowing down from 75 to the low 60's for no particular reason (bend in road, truck in lane to right; color on pavement changes, slows down same amount; etc). This is unsafe to me, you can't be in the left lane on a virtually open road and slow down like that, not a one time thing, very reproducible. I'd rather not beta test this feature, I enjoy driving too much.
I'll assume you mean nav on autopilot here. I had a 128 mile drive from delivery point in NY to home in CT. After calibration was complete I pulled into a breakdown lane, parked and resumed to activate EAP. The very first thing I noticed with NoA was the tendency to go into the far left lane for no apparent reason. At that point when it was asking for confirmation, I, dutifully, gave it. I came to the conclusion that if I couldn't concur with the decision I wouldn't concur via stalk and the car wouldn't change lanes. Every now and again it will slow down for some non-obvious reason but it does speed back up. Now, on that subject be careful. As of the current release EAP does not read speed limit signs. It takes speed limit from how the road is geocoded by that state's Dept of Highways (presumably). When the car seems to slow for no reason, check the speed limit icon to see if it reflects the non-obvious reason for slowing. When you find these discrepancies note them and call your Dept of Highways to report the discrepancies. Hopefully, in Q1 they will release the version that decodes speed limits, yields, exit speeds stop signs, red lights etc. THIS alone will cure many of the perceived flaws in lane keep and NoA. I believe in 2018.48 they fixed the move to left lane issue and, I believe after passing slower traffic it will go back to the original lane of travel. I believe I've witnessed that but I need to see it again and be conscious of how it recovers to say it's 100% fixed.