Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 wheel alignment - non SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's simply not true, there are 2 steering position sensors that feed into the autopilot, if these are out (because of say alignment) then autopilot will think it's turning to go straight ahead. It's marginal in most cases but to suggest there's none is poor advice.

And while the settings have been available, not every hunter machine is connected to the internet to get updates that regularly, your average tyre monkey isn't an IT support guy..
Oh come on. An alignment centre so bad at it's job that it can't set the steering straight shouldn't be in business in the first place.
In any case, there are many reports of Teslas being delivered with the alignment out and/or steering wheel not straight from the factory.
Autopilot uses more than just 2 steering postion sensors to know where the car is going.

What are you suggesting? Only get an alignment done at a SC?

As for updating the Hunter, that needs to be done if one is to offer good service to the customer. It's called attention to detail and that's why I don't let 'tyre monkeys' do alignments on my cars.

Oh come on. An alignment centre so bad at it's job that it can't set the steering straight shouldn't be in business in the first place.
In any case, there are many reports of Teslas being delivered with the alignment out and/or steering wheel not straight from the factory.
Autopilot uses more than just 2 steering postion sensors to know where the car is going.

What are you suggesting? Only get an alignment done at a SC?

As for updating the Hunter, that needs to be done if one is to offer good service to the customer. It's called attention to detail and that's why I don't let 'tyre monkeys' do alignments on my cars.
I said it played a part, anyone that says it doesn't is wrong. I also said in most cases its marginal. You've gone from saying it has no affect at all to saying there are more than 2 position sensors and IF the alignment was done by a competent person then all is well and good. Seems to me what you really meant to say is "if it's done correctly then the alignment won't upset the driver assist, and can only help" and we'd agree on that.

I said it played a part, anyone that says it doesn't is wrong. I also said in most cases its marginal. You've gone from saying it has no affect at all to saying there are more than 2 position sensors and IF the alignment was done by a competent person then all is well and good. Seems to me what you really meant to say is "if it's done correctly then the alignment won't upset the driver assist, and can only help" and we'd agree on that.
Show me one case where it's been proven that a Tesla crashed or swerved off the road because Autopilot was confused due to poor suspension alignment.

Well, I took my car to one of the kwik fits that said they wouldn't do it because of the sensor calibration issue. I took it there as it was local, and I asked them if they would at least be willing to check my tracking, rather than correct it. I am Almost certain I've knocked it right out of kilter after hitting a massive pothole. He actually obliged and took me over to the pc to check the database. Unfortunately theirs was only good for tesla 2017 to 19! Claimed his software was up to date!

Really shouldn't be this difficult!

Well, I took my car to one of the kwik fits that said they wouldn't do it because of the sensor calibration issue. I took it there as it was local, and I asked them if they would at least be willing to check my tracking, rather than correct it. I am Almost certain I've knocked it right out of kilter after hitting a massive pothole. He actually obliged and took me over to the pc to check the database. Unfortunately theirs was only good for tesla 2017 to 19! Claimed his software was up to date!

Really shouldn't be this difficult!
FeckTwit are absolutely useless. Don’t go there. Simple. Twice on occasion they have screwed me around with the MX…

SC just quoted £250 for a 4 wheel alignment! That seems excessive.... Did anyone have any success else where in/around Edinburgh? Rob at RD motorsport can do it, but its all manual and I was thinking of taking it to someone with a hunter machine.

SC just quoted £250 for a 4 wheel alignment! That seems excessive.... Did anyone have any success else where in/around Edinburgh? Rob at RD motorsport can do it, but its all manual and I was thinking of taking it to someone with a hunter machine.
I had a previous M3 done on a Hunter system local to me and it was out and they made the necessary adjustments. They provide you with 2 print out's. One before, which will show how much it is out, and then one after adjustment. Should I need to have any wheel alignment done in the future, I will be going to a centre that uses the Hunter system. From memory it was £100 + VAT, well worth it when you take into consideration the cost of rubber!

Reactions: Nick77 and Avendit
surely camera calibration can't assume everything is perfectly lined up and there will be tolerances. Thats why it needs miles to calibrate - it'll be reading the road and lines but also checking the internal car data and matching the two up. So if you recalibrate the cameras after an an alignment it should adapt to whatever tiny steering adjustment may have been made?

• Helpful
Reactions: amerimark
Ridiculous ... but then I seem to remember the BMW main dealer was not far off that price nearly 20 years ago ... on an almost new Mini!