Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Wire needed for 240V home Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla recommends 4 wire 240V installation for home chargers. Two hot, one neutral and one ground. My garage is detached and metal EMT conduit runs underground to garage. Is the recommended ground wire needed since EMT is buried exactly the same as any ground wire? Due to conduit size, I am limited to #10 wire and 30Amp breaker.

Tesla recommends 4 wire 240V installation for home chargers. Two hot, one neutral and one ground. My garage is detached and metal EMT conduit runs underground to garage. Is the recommended ground wire needed since EMT is buried exactly the same as any ground wire? Due to conduit size, I am limited to #10 wire and 30Amp breaker.
The Tesla wall connector only utilizes two hots and a ground. It does not utilize a neutral at all. If there was a neutral wire (like from a converted outlet) you would cap it off as it is not used.

The only reason to run a neutral wire at all would be if you intended to convert to an outlet in the future and remove the wall connector.

• Informative
Reactions: Whoze
Upvote 0
The Tesla wall connector only utilizes two hots and a ground. It does not utilize a neutral at all. If there was a neutral wire (like from a converted outlet) you would cap it off as it is not used.

The only reason to run a neutral wire at all would be if you intended to convert to an outlet in the future and remove the wall connector.
This is correct advice. I gotta assume OP already has the conduit in place with a single(probably 120V) circuit running through it.

Another thing for OP to note is that the ground wire for higher gauges doesn't need to be the same size as the hots. 6AWG hots typically only take a 10AWG ground, for instance.

OP might want to consider removing the current conductors from the conduit and placing all new conductors of a larger gauge through it, and putting a small subpanel in the garage. It would help to find out what conduit is currently in place and what is already running through it.

• Informative
Reactions: Whoze and dogmodes
Upvote 0
Tesla recommends 4 wire 240V installation for home chargers.
Who EXACTLY did you hear that from? Some type of outlets need the neutral wire; some don't. The wall connectors never do.
Still wouldn't need it. There are always outlet types that are 240V only and don't use a neutral wire.

Upvote 0