Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 year annual service vs extended service agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for you all. If you were going to get one vs the other, would you rather get the pre paid 4 year annual service, or get the extended service agreement? This is for my 2017 Model S 100D that barring anything unusual I plan on driving for the next 6 - 10 years.

i would not buy the annual service as its overpriced.

in terms of the extended warranty, i would wait closer to when your 4 years is up.

it really depends. Tesla has revised many of the common bad parts. if that is the case. I dont think its worth paying the 4000-5000 for extended warranty.

some of those items such as
door handles($200 per handle i think)
mcu screen bubbling($1000 to replace)
drive unit(you already have 8yr warranty on this)

even if these things break, its less than the cost of extended warranty so its hard to justify the value

Reactions: Scoopa
Thanks, Tam. I was kind of thinking the same thing too, so I appreciate your suggestion.

Only if my fear of expensive repairs is true.

If the repairs are cheaper than the warranty fee as reported by @kev1n, then there's no logical reason to lose money with the warranty.

Built-in onboard Charger: $2,000-2,800 but it could be $20 fuse if you know how to fix it yourself.

It's winter and your car's too cold? It's $4,500 to fix it!

It's summer and your car is hot? It's a bargain summer price of $4k to repair the DC-DC converter to get your A/C cool again.

Noisy Instrument Cluster fan? It's $1,000 for peace and quiet!

Charge port replacement $600.

We put a LOT of miles on our 100D. We did not purchase the service plan as we have already done our first years service at 4 months of ownership. Just did give drive unit fluid change as everything else is time based not mileage based. The prepaid service made no sense as you HAVE to use them at 12,500 mile intervals.

We DID however purchase the extended warranty as we plan on keeping this car for a long time. (at least as long as there is still hope that HW2 will actually be capable of FSD)

• Informative
Reactions: Scoopa and boaterva
ESA for sure and I'm waiting till the end of my initial 4 years of ownership to sign up for that. I've been getting the "annual" service done now more at a 16-18 month cadence. After 4 years though, the ESA requires the annual/12.5k mile service done on time for compliance.

One of the more expensive things that could fail (as being posted about elsewhere on the forums) not called out above is the MCU+touchscreen that have set folks back $3,000 in one shot.

Reactions: Scoopa