Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 year old Model S: what does the future hold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model S is getting close to 4 years old . I love the car and plan on keeping it, but I find myself wondering about long-term reliability. Are there any longer term/high mileage owners out there that with any experiences that they would like share?

I have a 2014 MS 60 with 38K miles, BTW.

A related question is, will Tesla cut back on attention to older Model S/X, given their limited resources and the pending necessary focus on Model 3 support (not to mention the demands for development of the semi, Model Y and Roadster). One of my concerns about keeping a Model S is how soon it will effectively become a technological "orphan," more or less abandoned by Tesla insofar as software support is concerned. I hope my fear is unfounded...

I have a similar car: 2014 S60 model but with 83k miles now almost four years later. I've had 3 door handles replaced, and drivetrain and battery replaced. All were under warranty except for one door handle.

I've never kept a car this long before, but still find myself excited every morning when I get back in for a drive. Outside of those early repair issues, my car looks and runs like new. I plan to keep it for some time longer before replacing it with another Tesla. Hope this helps.

A related question is, will Tesla cut back on attention to older Model S/X, given their limited resources and the pending necessary focus on Model 3 support (not to mention the demands for development of the semi, Model Y and Roadster). One of my concerns about keeping a Model S is how soon it will effectively become a technological "orphan," more or less abandoned by Tesla insofar as software support is concerned. I hope my fear is unfounded...
The non-AP cars already pretty much are. There haven't been substantial software improvements outside of a few, somewhat poorly implemented new things (like easy entry) in years. That being said since the current S/Xs still run the same hardware on the CID any changes that effect the new cars will go back to all of them assuming they don't require hardware that wasn't on the early cars.(like the Chill mode).

2014 S85 with 66k miles on her. Replaced 12v battery and drive train, both under warranty. Only thing I really worry about is that I think all of us '14's are on 3G wireless service. Is there a chance as 5G starts getting online that 3G will no longer work, or does it have to remain available?

Yeah, I used to get really excited with software updates and now they're mostly meh. But like @rocketdallas said I look forward to getting into it every morning and driving. Yesterday, due to some forgotten gear I ended up doing 3 full loops around the Richmond, VA area taking kids to/from school and sports and you know what? I didn't seem to mind because of what I'm driving...

Reactions: rocketdallas
Still a NOOB owner of my 2017MS, but over the past 20 years, I've only purchased/owned used cars; BMW, LEXUS, Buick, Chevy and those vehicles NEVER received any sort of update/support SANS mandated recall programs. Consistently handling the basic ICE maintenance routines, all cars lasted well past 100k miles. However, in the later years, spend on break fix always increases as rubber parts begin to break down.

So, when I think about my MS and reliability, I tend to consider the major systems which DIFFER from ICE cars. Similar systems, such as the suspension, door handles, windows etc. All should have similar reliability patterns...except where Tesla has done something substantially different; like the door handles :)

From what I have gathered in my initial research into some of these systems
Main Battery - Data linked in this forum indicates 20 year life of pack, but with capacity degradation over that time.
Brakes - Regenerative braking should substantially extend the life pads and rotors.
Powertrain - see fortune article

Another thing which sets the Tesla apart is with respect to all the various "electronic" systems. Unlike traditional manufactures, who must integrate disparate systems, Tesla has full control (and blame when it doesn't work).

Just came across this presentation, which is really quite interesting.

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman
My model S is getting close to 4 years old . I love the car and plan on keeping it, but I find myself wondering about long-term reliability. Are there any longer term/high mileage owners out there that with any experiences that they would like share?

I have a 2014 MS 60 with 38K miles, BTW.
I have a 9 year old Roadster with 50,000 and have no concerns taking it on a trip.

Still a NOOB owner of my 2017MS, but over the past 20 years, I've only purchased/owned used cars; BMW, LEXUS, Buick, Chevy and those vehicles NEVER received any sort of update/support SANS mandated recall programs. Consistently handling the basic ICE maintenance routines, all cars lasted well past 100k miles. However, in the later years, spend on break fix always increases as rubber parts begin to break down.

Good point. before I got my Tesla, I had never owned a new car in my entire life! I had always bought used cars, initially by necessity and eventually because I had adopted the philosophy that I did not want to pay the depreciation of a new car. But I always bought Mercedes Benzes. Initially I was attracted to their engineering and their focus on safety, and eventually I just stuck with the devil I knew.

Anyway, my experience was that most of my repair money over the years went for undercarriage components -- brakes, suspension and steering parts, and exhausts. My mechanics could always get parts, even when I had cars that were 15 years old or more. Daimler Benz provided excellent support for older cars, and there were many third parties providing parts and service. But there are so many Benzes on the road that it is a lucrative market.

Teslas have all of that same stuff, except of course the exhaust systems. So, I know that eventually there will be brake work, steering and suspension failures (already had one, actually), worn shocks, etc. As long as the parts are available, none of this stuff should require particularly specialized service, so I would hope that third party service will eventually become available. But parts availability is the big "IF." We have already seen that Tesla parts seem to take forever to obtain (especially body parts, apparently), and who knows if any third parties will ever see enough of a market to make them.

I guess it is a trade-off: Drive a new one still under warranty, for the least risk, but at the cost of high depreciation. Or keep driving an older one past the warranty limit, for more risk (and little or no updating) but lower costs.

I just purchased a 75D S and have a similar question. As my car gets older do I want the extended warranty? I hear some of these repairs are quite expensive once out of warranty. Does the price of the warranty change over time?

I bought it on my Volt and have never had to use it yet. For extend warranties in general I never purchase. I did for the Volt being new tech and have same concern about the S.

So my 2013 S 85 has 11K miles, still a baby when it comes to how much it's been used... can't comment on long term usage.

It's funny though, I have been playfully exploring trading in for a similar year P model. but with higher miles.... just can't find one with a decent value proposition though! :/ I just want more powa!

So my 2013 S 85 has 11K miles, still a baby when it comes to how much it's been used... can't comment on long term usage.

It's funny though, I have been playfully exploring trading in for a similar year P model. but with higher miles.... just can't find one with a decent value proposition though! :/ I just want more powa!

Here you go @BIG ACH, and it's in Florida!
Used Inventory | Tesla