TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

40.50.1 update completely disabled all voice commands

Discussion in 'Model S' started by vapor trail, Dec 24, 2019.

1. vapor trail

vapor trail Member

No voice commands work after update. I've tried soft/hard reboots to no avail. Lot's of discussion about this also on M3 forums.

Anyone have better luck?

2. Fredneck

Fredneck Member

Mine didn't work so well before the update. Have you checked to make sure you have network connectivity? Without that voice commands won't work.

3. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

#3 ucmndd, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Voice clips are sent to the mothership for processing and conversion to text, similar to Siri or google assistant. I’m guessing the servers are completely overwhelmed by people trying out their new gift, so it’s working for nobody right now.

Because Tesla.

4. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

Yes. “call ____” was painful tonight (as painful as this can be, relatively)

5. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

Voice commands didn't work for me this afternoon, while still on 40.2.1. I guess Tesla servers are having an Obamacare moment.

• Funny x 1
  6. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

7. Ames

Ames Member

In the same boat here...voice commands are completely nerfed. It must be something to do with the server side. I noticed immediately after the update I was getting some of them to work. Also noted a change in behaviour - voice commands are only recognised if you don't press the button after you have finished talking.

Worked immediately after the update:
    - Make it warmer; worked...the car adjusted the temperature by 1.5 Celsius.
    - Make it colder; worked as above.
    - Turn on the passenger seat heater; worked and turned on the the correct heater;
    - Turn on seat heater; worked and turned on all 6 seats...lol
    - Send a text message to Alex; sent me a text message...

Didn't work immediately after the update:
    - Open Glove Box; command correctly transcribed but...command not understood.
    - Show rear camera; command correctly transcribed but...command not understood.
    - Set temperature to 22; it turned on the HVAC and left the temperature where it was.

The next morning...
    - nothing! Not a single command worked :-(

Oh well...

8. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Worked 100% for us Tuesday around 11 AM ET. Suspect everyone is off work and got the release and testing it. Wait for the rush to die down. Also people are trying out new words to see what works. This sort of load won’t be the norm. You would think it would have auto server expansion on AWS or something but who knows.

• Helpful x 1
  9. r1200gs4ok

r1200gs4ok Active Member

my voice commands work well......stop lights and stop signs appear.......have a little ping-ponging......street sighs and street markers appear.......NOA seems ok......set up iPhone 6 plus for messages but haven’t tried it yet because have not received any new ones but when I look at the screen I see messages show up.......seems to be working ok so. far......2019, Jun, HW 3 with FSD

10. RFernatt

RFernatt Solar/EV Owner/Enthusiast

Voice commands worked for me on WiFi earlier, but not on LTE during a test spin. Weird. I'm sure it will get sorted in a subsequent release.

11. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

No wonder it works so bad whenever I've tried it, it really shouldn't need to communicate back to base when you say "Call <name>".

12. r1200gs4ok

r1200gs4ok Active Member

yea...mines all good on my wife’s M3....2019, FSD, HW3, LR

13. BrownOuttaSpec

I am on 2019.40.2.3 AP1/MCU1. Tried voice command for navigation like i have done dozens of times in the past over LTE and it didn't pickup my voice either. You might be onto something about the servers being slammed.

14. jtrimingham

jtrimingham New Member

Mine was working perfectly before the update- now it only seems to “hear” my command maybe once out of ten tries! I hope it gets fixed or that the problem really is just an overloaded server!

15. vapor trail

vapor trail Member

Overloaded server is an interesting hypothesis. But is this really the known cause? If so, as Tesla's fleet keeps growing, and they increasingly offer/encourage more heavy use of voice commands, I hope the server infrastructure is addressed. Pretty sad to see system-wide crash after a single update is handed out to what I'm assuming is only a small fraction of all the Teslas currently on the road.

• Like x 1
  16. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

It's happening to those on the old SW too (but only after the update was pushed out). Server or something on the Server side of things is the likely culprit.

17. Chaserr

Chaserr Hyperactive Hyperdrive

Voice commands are handled server side. The update prompted a few hundred thousand Model 3 owners to test the new voice commands and Tesla probably still hasn't updated the voice server to handle more than the few thousand 2012-2013 owners they set it up to handle originally so voice is down.

18. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

New voice commands enhancements advertised by Tesla, update breaks all voice commands, welcome to Tesla :rolleyes:
    I am going to wait and see how many Model S owners with 'old' hardware install this new update and what works or doesn't work before even thinking about installing it.

• Like x 1
  19. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Judging by the numbers on Teslafi, this update doesn’t even exist yet for MCU 1.

20. GoBeavs

GoBeavs Member

2018 MCU1/AP 2.5 here...still on 2019.36.2.1. “Car software up to date” - advanced tab selected