Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40.50.1 update completely disabled all voice commands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voice clips are sent to the mothership for processing and conversion to text, similar to Siri or google assistant. I’m guessing the servers are completely overwhelmed by people trying out their new gift, so it’s working for nobody right now.

Because Tesla.

Last edited:
In the same boat here...voice commands are completely nerfed. It must be something to do with the server side. I noticed immediately after the update I was getting some of them to work. Also noted a change in behaviour - voice commands are only recognised if you don't press the button after you have finished talking.

Worked immediately after the update:
- Make it warmer; worked...the car adjusted the temperature by 1.5 Celsius.
- Make it colder; worked as above.
- Turn on the passenger seat heater; worked and turned on the the correct heater;
- Turn on seat heater; worked and turned on all 6 seats...lol
- Send a text message to Alex; sent me a text message...

Didn't work immediately after the update:
- Open Glove Box; command correctly transcribed but...command not understood.
- Show rear camera; command correctly transcribed but...command not understood.
- Set temperature to 22; it turned on the HVAC and left the temperature where it was.

The next morning...
- nothing! Not a single command worked :-(

Oh well...

Worked 100% for us Tuesday around 11 AM ET. Suspect everyone is off work and got the release and testing it. Wait for the rush to die down. Also people are trying out new words to see what works. This sort of load won’t be the norm. You would think it would have auto server expansion on AWS or something but who knows.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
my voice commands work well......stop lights and stop signs appear.......have a little ping-ponging......street sighs and street markers appear.......NOA seems ok......set up iPhone 6 plus for messages but haven’t tried it yet because have not received any new ones but when I look at the screen I see messages show up.......seems to be working ok so. far......2019, Jun, HW 3 with FSD

Overloaded server is an interesting hypothesis. But is this really the known cause? If so, as Tesla's fleet keeps growing, and they increasingly offer/encourage more heavy use of voice commands, I hope the server infrastructure is addressed. Pretty sad to see system-wide crash after a single update is handed out to what I'm assuming is only a small fraction of all the Teslas currently on the road.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Voice commands are handled server side. The update prompted a few hundred thousand Model 3 owners to test the new voice commands and Tesla probably still hasn't updated the voice server to handle more than the few thousand 2012-2013 owners they set it up to handle originally so voice is down.

New voice commands enhancements advertised by Tesla, update breaks all voice commands, welcome to Tesla :rolleyes:
I am going to wait and see how many Model S owners with 'old' hardware install this new update and what works or doesn't work before even thinking about installing it.

Reactions: 365gtb4
New voice commands enhancements advertised by Tesla, update breaks all voice commands, welcome to Tesla :rolleyes:
I am going to wait and see how many Model S owners with 'old' hardware install this new update and what works or doesn't work before even thinking about installing it.

Judging by the numbers on Teslafi, this update doesn’t even exist yet for MCU 1.