TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

40/60kWh and SuperCharger

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Eeyago, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Eeyago

Eeyago Member

Anyone with a 40 or 60 (non-supercharger) attempt to connect to a supercharging station to see what happens? I'm curious to know if nothing happens at all, get a warning, or maybe get some type of standard charge. Thoughts or brave souls?

2. Lump

Lump Active Member

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago, member JohnnyS answered "It will not work at all. The superchargers bypass the on board inverter and supply DC power directly to the battery. Normal house current is AC. Since the car does not have the software to know what to do with the DC power, I suspect you will get nothing."

3. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Didn't elon say all cars come with super charger built in ? That means its software locked

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

5. Eeyago

Eeyago Member

Thanks guys for the reply! +1 Discoducky
    It sure would be nice to just pay the $2k for the software upgrade for the 40 instead of the other extreme route.