Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 Amp Charge Rate Bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It probably remembers charging at that location at 48A. If you really want to only charge at 40A, try turning it down after the car is plugged in. But if your Wall Connector setting of 48A is appropriate for the circuit it’s on, there’s no reason to charge slower.

It probably remembers charging at that location at 48A. If you really want to only charge at 40A, try turning it down after the car is plugged in. But if your Wall Connector setting of 48A is appropriate for the circuit it’s on, there’s no reason to charge slower.
Sometimes I lower my amps so that I can charge during the day and use my solar without tapping into the grid or my Powerwalls. Last night, I forgot and lowered the amps before plugging in so it started charging at 48 amps at 9:30 this morning. I had to go out and change it to 32 amps so that my solar could handle it entirely. As the day goes on, I sometimes bump up the amps to 40 or 48. It will be nice when our cars are able to communicate with the gateway and adjust the amps automatically.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181121-154812_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20181121-154812_Tesla.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: SCW-Greg
Sometimes I lower my amps so that I can charge during the day and use my solar without tapping into the grid or my Powerwalls. Last night, I forgot and lowered the amps before plugging in so it started charging at 48 amps at 9:30 this morning. I had to go out and change it to 32 amps so that my solar could handle it entirely. As the day goes on, I sometimes bump up the amps to 40 or 48. It will be nice when our cars are able to communicate with the gateway and adjust the amps automatically.

Is there a financial incentive to do this? i.e. you get paid less by the utility for the power than what it costs to pull in power from the grid?

I am 1:1 metered, so I don't care. I plug in when I get home and I charge for about an hour to top off the car. My solar generates during the day to build up credits for me to use. Works great!

Is there a financial incentive to do this? i.e. you get paid less by the utility for the power than what it costs to pull in power from the grid?

I am 1:1 metered, so I don't care. I plug in when I get home and I charge for about an hour to top off the car. My solar generates during the day to build up credits for me to use. Works great!
If we would sell our production we would only earn 1.5 cents per kWh vs. the 8, 13 or 18 cents per kWh it would cost us to buy it from the utility, depending on the time of day.

Also, you could say it is more about principle than principal. My car has been nearly 100% solar powered since I bought it, except for when I have supercharged on road trips. I had free solar powered charging at work until I changed jobs a couple months back. Now I continue to charge my car via solar at home, even though it would probably be cheaper to charge from the grid. We charge up the Powerwalls and export some production back to the grid and on many days we are close to being 100% self-powered. The Powerwalls don't have enough capacity to charge all our cars. You can see two other cars are usually charged mostly from the grid, as you do. Usually we are able to offset grid usage later in the day.

I know several others who charge directly from their solar and would like the ability to adjust amps automatically. I remember someone tweeted Elon about it and he agreed it would be a nice feature to add. Hopefully we'll get it one of these days.

Reactions: eprosenx