Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

.40 is out via ev-fw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll take me a while to upload the video thanks to ADSL but I can report that unfortunately this version on the winding road test has regressed compared to the 36 version I had previously - 36 was a surprise because despite some wonky choices and behavioural fails, it did not abort once. There were many aborts throughout the run this time, including aborts in places where it had never previously failed. At least for this particular test case, I can say there is no sign of autosteer improvement and it has possibly gotten worse. Admittedly I'd prefer it to abort and let the driver take over if it really didn't know what it was doing instead of driving me across the other side of the road, but this release managed to do both.

• Helpful
Reactions: daktari
It'll take me a while to upload the video thanks to ADSL but I can report that unfortunately this version on the winding road test has regressed compared to the 36 version I had previously - 36 was a surprise because despite some wonky choices and behavioural fails, it did not abort once. There were many aborts throughout the run this time, including aborts in places where it had never previously failed. At least for this particular test case, I can say there is no sign of autosteer improvement and it has possibly gotten worse. Admittedly I'd prefer it to abort and let the driver take over if it really didn't know what it was doing instead of driving me across the other side of the road, but this release managed to do both.

It appears it's not going wide, and we are still in Alpha mode. But thanks for the report, look forward to watching the video later when you get a chance to upload it.

I got it. It now takes every only and exit whereas it would take only 1/3 of them previously. It does handle a lot of different situations differently...only been half a day so far but its the same as usual -- a couple steps forward, some sideways, and a couple backward.

Car detection is all over the place. It does more Matrix style reassignments (Popping back and forth across the IC). It shows the lead car and the one in front a lot more consistently and can see the car in front of the lead car for a lot further. Lane changes are still smooth and it detects cars more reliably. It identifies stopped unseen cars better but I had one instance where it "saw it" and then the car lost that car (it was not moving!) and my car lurched towards it. I had to slam the brakes but I noticed the car was still in the IC, AP was just ignoring it.

So, as with all updates, its starting over from scratch and learning the new limitations and contours. Hopefully Tesla will actually improve AP rather than shifting its abilities around.

EDIT: To clarify I got 2017.40.1 e29b97f

Reactions: buttershrimp
I got it. It now takes every only and exit whereas it would take only 1/3 of them previously. It does handle a lot of different situations differently...only been half a day so far but its the same as usual -- a couple steps forward, some sideways, and a couple backward.

So, as with all updates, its starting over from scratch and learning the new limitations and contours. Hopefully Tesla will actually improve AP rather than shifting its abilities around.

EDIT: To clarify I got 2017.40.1 e29b97f

Ugh. I can hardly wait for the update. NOT.

We'll folks, buckle your seat belts as I must clarify my earlier statement, this is most definitely going wide, the button got pushed last night.
Looks like it, as I reported elsewhere, first one with numbers like this in a long time. Perhaps because of the new features?

upload_2017-10-17_11-32-56.png

Looks like it, as I reported elsewhere, first one with numbers like this in a long time. Perhaps because of the new features?

View attachment 254476

This kind of looks like the 2017.34 deployment -- even after it started going wide, it took another 2 weeks for my car to get the update...

Even when things go "wide", now it seems to do so in 2 or 3 waves of 1/3 the population each. (TeslaFi shows it as 20.7% of their AP2 fleet so far)

This kind of looks like the 2017.34 deployment -- even after it started going wide, it took another 2 weeks for my car to get the update...

Even when things go "wide", now it seems to do so in 2 or 3 waves of 1/3 the population each. (TeslaFi shows it as 20.7% of their AP2 fleet so far)

In my tracking sheet I'm aware of at least 5 waves, I happy to live in wave 3.

Is there any need to calibrate after installing any new version? I.E. Like drive 30 miles? When I got my car on 9/28 auto steer was disabled for a bit. In my case it was about 28 miles. But I was told that it could take from 50 - 150 miles. I installed 2017.40 and auto steer was available right away so maybe not but just wondering.

Another commute and it performed better than the first one last evening. Only ducked into one exit (briefly). Otherwise it was pretty good. We'll see how it holds up. Curves were better. It had issues separating out cars in adjacent lanes from ones in my lane (Matrix bounce between them). That wasn't an issue in my previous build. It does a great job of seeing the car ahead of the lead car and displaying it on the IC. Lane changes and steering are more abrupt but quick isn't necessarily bad but you've gotta be on your toes.

Is there any need to calibrate after installing any new version? I.E. Like drive 30 miles? When I got my car on 9/28 auto steer was disabled for a bit. In my case it was about 28 miles. But I was told that it could take from 50 - 150 miles. I installed 2017.40 and auto steer was available right away so maybe not but just wondering.
As far as I'm aware the calibration process happens only once and it's purely to enable autopilot which is completely disabled prior to calibrating. The only time I've heard of further calibration happening is when people have had hardware replaced such as the camera or ultrasonic sensors and the service centre has forced a re-calibration. Now while it is true that Tesla have talked about fleet learning, I believe it's only adding to their global data from the entire fleet and there has never been any sign of per-vehicle continuous learning (yet!?). If they did such a thing, no doubt they'd announce it a year or more before the feature actually was available, if at all. It's something I'd love to be proven wrong on though but I see no sign of that :(

We'll folks, buckle your seat belts as I must clarify my earlier statement, this is most definitely going wide, the button got pushed last night.
As I suggested, perhaps the wifi security issue is making this more of a security release than anything else.

And here's my video:

Quality of the forward camera on my phone seems a little less than the rear camera so I might revert back to the rear camera on the next version even if it is a little harder to start and stop it.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g
Well my .40.1 test at night time on a winding road may be bad but the highway experience was exactly the opposite. It is the smoothest I have ever experienced on AP2 with much more stability in lanes and much less steering wheel adjustment through the gentle turns on a highway. Changing lanes was also spot on every time I tried it - quick and smooth with no unnecessary steering wheel adjustments midstream.I even tried lane change with only small gaps between the cars in the lane next to me and it slotted in nicely and slowed down to meet the speed of the car in front. The manual -does- say we should only use it on the highway so perhaps they've just been giving that attention (which makes perfect sense.) Good stuff. Hopefully my experience will be the same on further highway trips.

Mini review of 2017.40.1 e29b97f. Here are things I’m reviewing and the issues I'm still having with AP2 as of the below version.

Bolded items have changed since the previous version (2017.34 2448cfc).

2017.40.1 e29b97f
  • Lane changes. SEE NOTES
  • Trying to turn right toward off-ramps.
  • Ping ponging left and right within a consistent lane.
  • Hunting left and right when lanes change width or when lanes merge. IMPROVED
  • Hunting left and right when lane lines momentarily disappear.
  • Lane line confusion when driving over seams in road or discolorations in road surface. IMPROVED
  • Handling large high speed interchange curves.
  • Handling medium sized interchange curves.
  • Handling tight interchange curves.
  • Hesitating when changing lanes on a curve towards a vehicle.
  • Phantom braking for roadside or overhead signs.
  • Capable of showing two cars in front of you.
  • Capable of showing cars in adjacent lanes.
  • Capable of showing different types of cars.
  • Capable of showing speed limit signs.
  • Stopped car detection.
  • No shuddering “jerky braking” at low speeds.
Advanced autopilot capabilities:
  • Handling freeway interchange decisions.
  • Automatic lane changing.
Notes:
The biggest improvement I've noticed after 80+ miles of driving today is AP2's stability when lanes change width, lose lines on one side, when lanes merge together, and overall correct recognition of the correct lane lines.

Previously, autosteer would ping pong left and right, sometimes in unsettling ways, but now it remains stable and locks onto either the left or right side lane line and smoothly moves over to it if necessary. It reminds me of how AP1 felt when one of the lane lines disappeared or was hard to see. It remains on heading and doesn’t “freak out”.

I was also able to use a freeway lane today where I previously avoided using autosteer. There’s a seam in the concrete that previously confused AP2 causing it to ping pong around between the real lane lines and the seam in the concrete. It would occasionally jump too far to the left towards the divider for comfort and I would turn off autosteer. I didn’t have that problem today at all and was able to use autopilot down the entire stretch of the 91 freeway. Could also possibly be better conditions than usual.

One last note is that lane changes seem to be a bit less quick and confident. Some slight acceleration/braking hesitation when changing lanes and had a couple that just didn’t finish at all and I had to take over to finish it.