Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 K's Upgrade to 60?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we've had our 40's for a few days, do you plan on forking over the $12,500 for the extended range and super charger access? I'm thinking about it!

I've had my 40 for a week now. I plan on waiting to see how it works out for a while, then make the upgrade decision. If I find I'm always saying "well, if I only had the extra range" or once they finally roll out their planned network of superchargers, and I find that they will work for my long-distance travel with a 60, then I will likely upgrade; otherwise, I will stick with my original plan... the Model S as our 95% of the time car and our second car (ICE) as our long-distance or 5+ passenger vehicle.

All that being said, won't it be $13,500 for the upgrade with supercharger access? ($11,000 for battery plus $2,500 for supercharger access) I still think these upgrade prices should decrease the longer we wait.

I read these forums and see people with the 85 talk about their 5 mile commute and they can't decide how many days to wait between battery charges. My commute is 40 miles round trip and I can get triple that range so I don't see any reason to upgrade. This weekend I drove my wife around shopping and we did 90 miles, still no sweat.

I am disappointed that Tesla cancelled the 40 option for the others that now won't buy a Tesla because it is just too expensive.

Now that we've had our 40's for a few days, do you plan on forking over the $12,500 for the extended range and super charger access? I'm thinking about it!

I forked over 10k to upgrade right as the factory started building my car. In the final analysis, made sense to drop 10k +3% tax now instead of 11k and 4% tax later.

I am also the first to upgrade a 40 to 60 post-factory and it took all of 15 minutes, no issues. :smile:

I am disappointed that Tesla cancelled the 40 option for the others that now won't buy a Tesla because it is just too expensive.

I completely agree. Often my Tesla time ends with "...but you can't get this version anymore."

I am also the first to upgrade a 40 to 60 post-factory and it took all of 15 minutes, no issues. :smile:

Very good to hear that it was quick and painless!

Don't see myself upgrading - since the 40 has no battery degradation issues with getting charged to the limit, the 60 only has about 40 more miles of range than a 40. That's not really worth $11k.

About the only reason I would upgrade is for supercharger access, but none of those up here (yet), and I have an ICE for doing any long distance trips.

I won't be upgrading. I can buy a lot of plane tickets to San Diego for $13500. It would be nice to take the MS to Northern AZ instead of the Hybrid, but not that nice. I don't road trip anywhere else because I don't have the time.

The 145 rated charge gets me about 100 driving aggressively and using the pre-cooling for a half hour or more. I'd bet that ends up closer to 120 when I calm down. I drove 100 miles in 1 day once last year (not including a road trip to SD).

I agree 100%, it kind of sucks now that I can't sell my coworkers on one. No way they're paying $70k for a car (out the door including tax credit, sales tax and delivery). I've already experienced my fair share of "How much did that cost you?" or "What do those run?". I'm alternating between "too much" and "a lot".

Thought this was interesting, got the below in the mail yesterday (right after I got my recall notice :()

yPMTNPb.jpg

Thought this was interesting, got the below in the mail yesterday (right after I got my recall notice :()

Well the cost to Tesla of changing a 40kWh to a 60kWh without supercharging is very close to $0. And considering they will have to continue to support 40kWh vehicles with every software upgrade, I wouldn't be supprised if Tesla continues to have these 'Sales' as it will only come out better for them.

Heck I could see with the release with 9.X (random number) software (probably about 3-4 years down the line) that 40kWh cars will magically get upgraded to 60kWh vehicles. SC access will probably always be an upcharge. As that could potentially incur costst for Tesla.

Right now I think maintaining the 40kWh designation is only costing Tesla money.

I received the upgrade e-mail as well, but no recall e-mail. When did you take delivery? I took delivery on 5/21 which is right in their stated recall window. I may have to place a call once I return from vacation in France.

I do find it a little funny that they are offering the same pricing as always. Haven't we already made the $10k decision twice by now? I guess they figured once we took delivery, we may change our minds.

After driving my 40 for about a month now, I don't think the $10k is worth it for the additional mileage. I also agree that down the line, they will cut the price lower and lower. It's free money to them at this point. The current "sale" is to juice their #'s. And BTW, I think they'll kill it this Q, TSLA $120 easy!

If they announce a larger supercharger network that makes sense for me, I'll pay up for the opp.

- - - Updated - - -

No upgrade for me... happy with the 40, and definitely not worth the extra $10k for us. Now, if it was $2.5k...

+1

Let's say there are 200 40's on the road, 200 X $2.5k = $500k....pays for a supercharging location.

After driving my 40 for about a month now, I don't think the $10k is worth it for the additional mileage. I also agree that down the line, they will cut the price lower and lower. It's free money to them at this point. The current "sale" is to juice their #'s. And BTW, I think they'll kill it this Q, TSLA $120 easy!

If they announce a larger supercharger network that makes sense for me, I'll pay up for the opp.

- - - Updated - - -

+1

Let's say there are 200 40's on the road, 200 X $2.5k = $500k....pays for a supercharging location.

Base Supercharger is around $150k, SC's with solar around $300K.

I received the upgrade e-mail as well, but no recall e-mail. When did you take delivery? I took delivery on 5/21 which is right in their stated recall window. I may have to place a call once I return from vacation in France.

Took Delivery on 5/25. I got an email yesterday and then a phone call from Seattle Service Center later in the day to inform me.

Oh and yeah, I'm not upgrading either. In the month I've had it, I've gone below 90 rated range maybe twice in a days worth of driving. I have charging stations at work, and available at most of the retail places I go. It's just not worth $10k

I doubt they'll cut the price in the future. Aftermarket revenue is going to be (IMO) one of the top reasons for Tesla's huge success. Other automakers can't sell you jack after the sale except another car to replace the one that's worn out. That's why they make umpteen "levels" of cars for you to "step up" to. Tesla however will sell you 13.5K of upgrades that are *SOFTWARE ONLY*. Not to mention all the upgrades they will come up with that actually require a collection of atoms to install.

To put it another way. You have a 60kwh battery for 40kwh price. As time goes on, the pack will slowly degrade and, yes, you will want that 60kwh upgrade even less than you do now. That is, until there is nationwide supercharging. Then you might just spring the 13.5k to make it happen. Or maybe Tesla will cut you a deal, but the deal will be more like 10K than 2K.

I doubt they'll cut the price in the future. Aftermarket revenue is going to be (IMO) one of the top reasons for Tesla's huge success. Other automakers can't sell you jack after the sale except another car to replace the one that's worn out. That's why they make umpteen "levels" of cars for you to "step up" to. Tesla however will sell you 13.5K of upgrades that are *SOFTWARE ONLY*. Not to mention all the upgrades they will come up with that actually require a collection of atoms to install.

To put it another way. You have a 60kwh battery for 40kwh price. As time goes on, the pack will slowly degrade and, yes, you will want that 60kwh upgrade even less than you do now. That is, until there is nationwide supercharging. Then you might just spring the 13.5k to make it happen. Or maybe Tesla will cut you a deal, but the deal will be more like 10K than 2K.

Well I wonder what the economics will be in a few years with the battery swappers, and what the degradation rate of the batteries are?

It won't apply much to a 40, but let's say 3 years from now you buy a new 60, and immediately stop by a swapper on the way home, and exchange the battery for a 3-year old 85...

Would you have to pay anything in on that?

yPMTNPb.jpg
Wonder if Tesla at some point would just want to clear out all the 40s from the roads. Like they did on the 1.0 Roadsters (there are none). And if they did would they continue to raise the price to move up to a 60 (or at least threaten to) or would they slowly drop the price in increments (like above) till the have cleared out most of the owners. There may be some that actually WANT to keep the 40 for battery life but Tesla might just change them on owners saying they will not service a 40 anymore.