TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

40 KWH acceleration?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by RodF, Jan 19, 2013.

1. RodF

RodF Member

Subjective question - I saw the differences between 0 to 60 ratings for the 40 and 65 KWH options. Has anyone driven both, and if so was there a vast or noticeable difference in acceleration between the two for normal driving? I'm about to finish configuration of my car and need to decide between the two. Range is not an issue for me in Hawaii, so acceleration would be the only factor. Thanks.

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

It used to be listed as 6.9s 0-60, I think.

Other than that, I don't think anybody outside of Tesla has experience with a 40kWh yet.

3. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I don't think anyone has driven the 40 kWh version outside Tesla but if you don't drive more than 100 miles ever in a day and will never need Supercharging then loading up a 40 kWh with Tech package...etc might be the way to go. A 60 kWh with Supercharging access might be better resale value possibly but no one really knows.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#5 brianman, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    I suspect Jason's brain morphed {4.4, 5.6, 5.9, 6.5} into {4.4, 5.x, y.z, 6.9} at some point.

Speaking for myself, my brain morphed it to {4.4, >4.4, >>4.4, >>>4.4} the moment I heard Performance was an option for Signature vehicles. ;)

6. ClearwaterBchSteve

ClearwaterBchSteve P445 / VIN 1794

Even the base Model S (40KWh) is going to accelerate smoothly and quickly as compared to many other cars. Unless you plan to floor it at every green light to try and win races, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the smaller battery pack configurations. The car will still be significantly quicker than any existing EV or hybrid most likely.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Agreed, and signficantly quicker than most vehicles on the road generally.

8. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Ummm, maybe. I'm sure the acceleration will be smooth, but I was driving home after a long drive and range was below 40 miles, so the acceleration was limited. I punched it to pass at one point and was definitely disappointed by the results with limited power draw. Yes, the 40kWh will still be an amazing car, but it won't command the same Tesla grin.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I don't think we know enough yet to safely conclude that "60/85 kWh at < 40 miles" has similar driving characteristics to "40 kWh at > 40 miles".

10. GSP

GSP Member

I am surprised to hear that acceleration is limited when range is less than 40 miles. I don't recall reports of this on the Roadster, or other EVs with AC induction or brushless DC motors.

Is it possible that something else was limiting acceleration, like battery temperature?

GSP

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

You get the dashed meter showing limited acceleration when you pass over that threshold of rated range. I have a picture of it somewhere on the forum. I may go dig it up.

12. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

Rav4 restricts power at "Very Low Battery" (one of sixteen fuel bar segments illuminated), and further restricts Climate Control (except defrost) when all the fuel bar segments extinguish. Obviously, when the car enters "Turtle" mode, the power is so severely restricted that top speed on level terrain might only be 30-40mph.

None of these thresholds are indexed to the Guess-O-Meter range predictions, or battery temperature. The Nissan LEAF is very similar.

Rav4 goes 0-60mph in 7 seconds with the derated 273 foot/pound torque Model S inductive motor. It weighs slightly over 4000 pounds with a 50kWh battery, 41.8kWh of which is available and usable.

13. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Power starts getting limited <= 50 rates miles range left on the 85kW pack. It slowly decreases as you get closer to 0.

Roadster would limit power as you got close to 0, too. Not as early as the Model S, IIRC.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

In my original evaluation, it seemed to trigger at exactly 40 miles rated.

Today it triggered at 37 miles rated (I was watching).

So presumably there are some other factors (battery temp?) that go into the limiting decision rather than just SOC.

FYI

15. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Agree. On Thursday I was down to 32 miles rated and did not trigger the limitation. I did see the range bar change to yellowish for the first time.

16. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

I've noticed that other factors must be taken into account, (maybe pack temperature level which I can't see), as I've had the system limit power when I've had as many as 60+ miles left and also had it make it down into the 20s without limit. Generally speaking when the temperatures where warmer 70+ F, the pack would run lower without limit and with the temperatures lower, 10 degrees F, the reductions would start much much earlier.

Peter