Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 kWh Delivery Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't get close enough to the blue custom painted Model S to see if it was metallic or not, but it was certainly very bright. I would guess it is similar to the BMW M5 or Subaru WRX blue. Our tour guide said it was getting special florescent green brake calipers and some other custom items so it will really stand out.

I bet that one belongs to Chris Porritt. He's the newest VP (came over from Aston Martin). Since he designs exotic cars, it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted an exotic color.

A new beautiful blue MS was delivered a day early. It arrived about 12:45 this afternoon in perfect condition. I haven't found anything wrong with it. Everything works as it should. Garage door programming was no problem, blue tooth to both my wife's and my phones connected easily. I am very happy. I'll try to get the windows tinted tomorrow.

Getting mine tomorrow. Since we are all getting ours very soon or very recently, does anyone know if we have to wait some period of time for the paint to fully cure before washing and waxing? Last time I got a car right off the factory line I was told to wait a few weeks before applying exterior care.

The factory paint is already cured and baked. You can wash and detail anytime. If you ever get a repaint for any reason, you'll have to wait for the paint to cure as air drying takes 4-6 weeks.

Just back home from picking up my 40 at the Tigard OR Service Center.
40kWh, pano, air, tech, 19", tan leather, obeche wood gloss, std sound, blue, vin last digits 10252

Programmed home link and it is now sitting in my garage charging.

Driving like a little old lady at the moment, but I a sure that will change...

Just picked mine up on Saturday and so far I have been getting very close to the "rated range" (144 miles and once 147 miles) Seems like this is going to do very nicely for me because my commute isn't that long and I fully expected the original 40 to have a range of around 120 when in standard charge mode. Now because of the 60 pack it's no problem to charge in what would have been considered range mode before.

Our car was delivered yesterday and we are beat. Spent 6 hours doing tours and test drives . . . Luckily, we did not get the new owner "Tesla ticket" for speeding because we certainly did a bit of that! Only one issue, we have a warning light and message: "Service Tire Pressure System". Called service this AM and it sounds like it is not uncommon and they will schedule an appointment to correct it. It appears that the range with the "40 kWh" limitation is about 144 miles. (At least that's what it said when I checked on the car at 3:00 AM. When I got up this morning it was showing 141 miles, still plugged in. Maybe my wife slipped out for a quick spin sometime after my 3 AM status check!) Will go in later this week for a full frontal wrap (on the car) including windshield. We are definitely "Happy Campers"...

My car was being test driven on Saturday. Hoping it's been loaded on a truck by now, but still haven't heard anything from my DS. No idea how long it takes to get it to AZ, but let's just say I googled "how many hours can a truck driver legally drive per day".

I am sure you are beyond excited... :biggrin: Contact with the DS has been frustrating for many and have been trying myself to find out who our DS is but have not heard anything after leaving a couple voicemails and e-mails.

Yours will probably be here tomorrow unless it started yesterday/Sat. Good luck and hope the delivery goes smoothly!

My car was being test driven on Saturday. Hoping it's been loaded on a truck by now, but still haven't heard anything from my DS. No idea how long it takes to get it to AZ, but let's just say I googled "how many hours can a truck driver legally drive per day".

Has anyone had a chance to test the range on the 40 yet? I will be getting mine on Weds, and will try to test this coming long weekend.
When I first got the car, it had 144. I did a probably two mile laps; I didn't baby it. I then drove home (47 miles) averaging 70ish, and I got home with 95 miles left. Today, I took basically the same commute (40 miles) and had 92 miles left. The difference might be due to a steep grade. I think the grade helped me with the mileage on the way home. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with the prediction.

I received a statement from my DS - due to all of the questions TM has received about the software limitation, they are now providing the following answer to customers:

"In regards to the limited 60kwh battery: You will have a 60kwh battery and the charge bar will show the full capacity of that battery on your instrument cluster. The charge bar will show the battery charged up to 72% when it is at a ‘full’ charge for the 40kwh battery and the remainder will be shown in grey. The car will come with a sticker that will state the EPA rated range for the software limited 60kwh battery that you will have. The ideal rating for the 40kwh battery is 160 miles (tested at 55mph). I wouldn’t worry about the battery not fully charging as batteries, in general, do not like being fully discharged or fully charged so this will be a very comfortable and healthy state for your battery."

It's not really more than we've discovered via those who've already received their cars, but this is probably what TM will be telling those who ask from now on.

Here is a data point for the 40's range.
I drove 109 miles today and ended up with 13 rated miles left. It showed 144 miles when I left at 6:50 this morning and 13 when I got home around 9. The AC was on the entire time I was in the car and maybe 15 minutes with me out. The trip shows 315 kW/mi.

Gocken2, What happens when you charge with extended range mode turned on before charging? The car turns this off automaticly after 3 days if this feature is turned on. I wonder if you would get the full 160 range estimate on the gauge?

Here is a data point for the 40's range.
I drove 109 miles today and ended up with 13 rated miles left. It showed 144 miles when I left at 6:50 this morning and 13 when I got home around 9. The AC was on the entire time I was in the car and maybe 15 minutes with me out. The trip shows 315 kW/mi.

Gocken2, What happens when you charge with extended range mode turned on before charging? The car turns this off automaticly after 3 days if this feature is turned on. I wonder if you would get the full 160 range estimate on the gauge?

There is no extended range. The 40's have 4.5 so there is a slider for the % charge. The 40's only go up to 72% max and that was what my car was set at. The range says between 144 and 147 rated miles when the charge completes. The 160 miles is ideal.

Just got an email from our CEO saying that we are installing EV charging stations that are free to use.

Getting the upgraded "40" with pricing before the increase, check. Buying the stock when I put down my reservation, double check. Charging for free, oh yeah.

At this rate the car is practically free. :)

When I first got the car, it had 144. I did a probably two mile laps; I didn't baby it. I then drove home (47 miles) averaging 70ish, and I got home with 95 miles left. Today, I took basically the same commute (40 miles) and had 92 miles left. The difference might be due to a steep grade. I think the grade helped me with the mileage on the way home. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with the prediction.

What it shows on the instrument panel is rated range, which is a fixed percentage of the EPA's ideal of what you should get for the amount of kWh charge remaining on your battery. The energy app shows projections based on your actual energy use while driving. This is a much better prediction of the actual range you have left. I wish there was a way to show the projection from the energy app on the instrument panel instead of the rated range.

For the other folks receiving their 40kWh cars, what SW version is loaded? Is it 4.4 or 4.5? Sounds like the most recent deliveries are with 4.5. Did anyone else get 4.4?

- - - Updated - - -

There is no extended range. The 40's have 4.5 so there is a slider for the % charge. The 40's only go up to 72% max and that was what my car was set at. The range says between 144 and 147 rated miles when the charge completes. The 160 miles is ideal.

To confirm: with SW v4.5 on the 40s, there is no range mode? One just slides the bar up to 72% max. Makes sense given the larger battery size. I'm still in 4.4 so I'm wondering what to expect.

For the other folks receiving their 40kWh cars, what SW version is loaded? Is it 4.4 or 4.5? Sounds like the most recent deliveries are with 4.5. Did anyone else get 4.4?

- - - Updated - - -

To confirm: with SW v4.5 on the 40s, there is no range mode? One just slides the bar up to 72% max. Makes sense given the larger battery size. I'm still in 4.4 so I'm wondering what to expect.

I think all the 40's are on 4.5 since they needed a software update to limit battery capacity. We took delivery of our 40kw last night and there is only the slider bar. I don't see any reason to not leave it at max 72% (40kw limit) for charging. It's an easy load on the battery and should last a long long time before we see any range reduction. No need to worry about doing a range charge. There is still a range mode where it will limit AC and heater power draw, which can be useful.

My P85 is still on 4.4. Our DS mentioned that the handle extension will come in the software update to 4.5 for those who do not already have the slight handle extension on opening the doors.

I picked-up my "40" yesterday, and it had v4.5. I agree with @shokunin on all fronts: (i) that all 40s will likely be delivered with v4.5 or later since the 72% software limitation didn't exist prior to v4.5, (ii) max range charge no longer exists nor is required on the 40s, and (iii) range mode does still exist (limits climate control usage to increase range).