Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 kWh Delivery Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all the 40's are on 4.5 since they needed a software update to limit battery capacity. We took delivery of our 40kw last night and there is only the slider bar. I don't see any reason to not leave it at max 72% (40kw limit) for charging. It's an easy load on the battery and should last a long long time before we see any range reduction. No need to worry about doing a range charge. There is still a range mode where it will limit AC and heater power draw, which can be useful.

My P85 is still on 4.4. Our DS mentioned that the handle extension will come in the software update to 4.5 for those who do not already have the slight handle extension on opening the doors.

We got our 40 last Friday with 4.5 and today it notified me to apply an update. That was quick! From reading on the forums all kinds of problems people have had after updating, I'm going to hold off and see what people who are braver than I report about the update before I apply it.

We got our 40 last Friday with 4.5 and today it notified me to apply an update. That was quick! From reading on the forums all kinds of problems people have had after updating, I'm going to hold off and see what people who are braver than I report about the update before I apply it.

What problems have people had with the 4.5 update? So far it had been questions about what percentage to charge to.

What problems have people had with the 4.5 update? So far it had been questions about what percentage to charge to.

I meant some of the previous updates. Nothing personal intended; I'm a software engineer and I know the risk of updating is to get new problems in exchange for old problems being fixed or new features being introduced. I don't jump on updates for my computers or phones for the same reason. You can find people with new unexpected problems for practically every update on any kind of device.

I meant some of the previous updates. Nothing personal intended; I'm a software engineer and I know the risk of updating is to get new problems in exchange for old problems being fixed or new features being introduced. I don't jump on updates for my computers or phones for the same reason. You can find people with new unexpected problems for practically every update on any kind of device.

I see. I totally agree. I was asking the question since I thought you may had heard of some problems with 4.5 that are new.

I jump on the updates but with the understanding they something may happen.

I asked becasue my 40 was delivered 9-May loaded with version 4.4. After a full charge the dispaly shows 189 miles of range! In other words there is no SW range limit that I can tell. I've been expecting that will change when 4.5 is pushed out. Or did Tesla gift me the 60 :)? I do have 60 badging on the rear.

As everyone knows, v4.4 does not have a slider bar just a standard/range charge selector. It would be nice to confirm that there is essentialy no standard/range selection mode with 4.5 SW and a 40 (i.e. a select position at around 61%). I know there is a range conservation feature (reduced A/C etc) but that is different. Even if there was, I agree with SUN-day Driver that there seems to be no reason not to keep the slider at 72%.

I guess I'll ultimatly findout when I get 4.5.

I asked becasue my 40 was delivered 9-May loaded with version 4.4. After a full charge the dispaly shows 189 miles of range! In other words there is no SW range limit that I can tell. I've been expecting that will change when 4.5 is pushed out. Or did Tesla gift me the 60 :)? I do have 60 badging on the rear.

As everyone knows, v4.4 does not have a slider bar just a standard/range charge selector. It would be nice to confirm that there is essentialy no standard/range selection mode with 4.5 SW and a 40 (i.e. a select position at around 61%). I know there is a range conservation feature (reduced A/C etc) but that is different. Even if there was, I agree with SUN-day Driver that there seems to be no reason not to keep the slider at 72%.

Check your VIN and see if you have the right car! If so this sounds like an oversight and if I were you I wouldn't update or change a thing!

As mentioned before on 4.5 there is just the slider. On my 40 it only goes between 50% and 72% (I don't understand why on a 40 they limit the bottom to 50% instead of the 30% that the non-40 cars go down to, given this is a percentage of the full 60 kWh battery and hence the upper limit of 72%). There is no other control for charging. On the iPhone app there are still standard and range buttons, but when I try to switch to range charging the button snaps back to standard, so no cheating by using the pre-40 app is possible.

Here is a pic of the 4.5 screen before the update tonight.
20130522_225032.jpg

Sounds like you got the super bonus oops upgrade I was hoping for. I would also say check the VIN, if for nothing else than to decode it and see if it reads as a 60.

Nice! At may 9 you must have been one of the first, maybe they hadn't fixed the limiting software yet. My car will have the range of a 60 also... because I broke down and upgraded right before it went to the factory. :)

Sounds like you got the super bonus oops upgrade I was hoping for. I would also say check the VIN, if for nothing else than to decode it and see if it reads as a 60.

I know @boilerbots states a "C" references the 40 but I don't really know what he is referring to. Certainly, I don't have a "C" anywhere in my VIN. Don't know why the VIN should matter though. Perhaps the "C" is just a random result of manafacture grouping?

In any case my gig will be up soon... I got an email from Tesla stating that they will push the SW limitation to my car soon (after I accept version 4.5). Refusing to upgrade is not really an option since it is clear that there is still significant development and SW fixes that are needed. I'm thinking the vampire load in particular. It my case it's appears to be more than my daily milage! Besides, I want to do the right thing.

It was nice while I had it, but in the end the limitation won't affect me. I've had the car two weeks and put less than ~100 miles on it. I do feel special though since they were obviously confused at the factory and put the 60 badging on. I do think I was one of the first if not the first 40 and the SW was just not ready (though they supposidly delayed my delivery to the 9th to incorporate it). It's a long story why -- certainly there are others who reseved before Jan 2012 -- but in a nutshell there was some confusion whether I had upgraded to the 60 when, in fact, that did not happen.

There is a VIN decoding thread and the first post is updated with out to read your VIN. The 8th character for me is "C" which means Base 40kw.

- - - Updated - - -

My car is ready more than a week early! I kept asking for the best pick-up possible and they said my car would roll out from the factory on the 29th. Tuesday my iphone app connected for the first time so I emailed my DS and was told that the my car was finished.

I wanted to pick-up today at the factory but they don't have any time slots available so I am going Friday at 9AM.

This is so great to get my car before Memorial day, my parents are visiting from out of state and are going to get to see the factory with me.

I had to swing my Home Depot for an electrical outlet. I built my garage with 6-50 outlets for my shop equipment. Now I need a 14-50 for the Tesla. I already got lots of 50+ amp outlets just not a mating outlet.

My 8th digit is a G. Now that I read the VIN decoding thread its odd that they even used a C since the physical hardware for a C does not exist - it's simply a SW change. The fact that I will get the SW limitation once I download 4.5 will confirm that there is no physical difference. On the other hand, if someone physically had to do something to my car to invoke the 40 limitation I could see a reason for the different designation.

Good luck on your pick up. A lot do do in a short time. My situation was a little easier: I had upgraded my panel and installed the 14-50 outlet last summer. When I originally ordered over a year ago I had no idea the 40s would take so long. But there here now :)

@brianman, I have an A in digit 7: 5YJSA1AG... according to the decoding VIN thread, I'd think all 40's would have an "A" there since it is said to represent charger type. A "C" at digit 7 indicates a "10kw charger with DC fast charge" (which I read as supercharging) but base 40s and 60s supposedly don't have fast charge capability. Now that we know supercharging is an add on option for those with a 60 (either base or upgraded 40), it appears the VIN decoding may not be reliable. In my case, I've been told by Tesla that I will be SW limited even though I am not limited under 4.4 right now. Welcome to the world of a SW dominated Auto industry. I really hope this does not go the way of other electronics: "oh, you want adaptive cruse control, that is going to be an extra $$ per month."

@brianman, I have an A in digit 7: 5YJSA1AG... according to the decoding VIN thread, I'd think all 40's would have an "A" there since it is said to represent charger type. A "C" at digit 7 indicates a "10kw charger with DC fast charge" (which I read as supercharging) but base 40s and 60s supposedly don't have fast charge capability.
Thanks for the info, NTD. Based on what we heard about "hardware will be in the car for fast charge, just not enabled" I expected they might have used "C" rather than "A" to reflect the hardware capabilities -- for the charging; and similarly G for the physical battery rather than what's enabled. Apparently not, though.

Thanks for the info, NTD. Based on what we heard about "hardware will be in the car for fast charge, just not enabled" I expected they might have used "C" rather than "A" to reflect the hardware capabilities -- for the charging; and similarly G for the physical battery rather than what's enabled. Apparently not, though.

Right, they seem to be using it to mean "as originally delivered" instead of indicating the actual capability of the hardware. This will make it very confusing if someone upgrades from a 40 to a 60 and has to explain to potential buyers why the VIN indicates 40 but the seller says its a 60.