TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

40 Kwh EPA

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by chicagotsla, Apr 5, 2013.

1. chicagotsla

chicagotsla Member

Will they ever test the 40K's EPA range? Don't they have to even if they are giving us the 60K, limiting us to a 40K battery?

I presume they need to do this before starting deliveries.

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Good question. I think they have to do the EPA 5-cycle test with the software-limited 60 and put the results on the sticker before being able to sell it.

3. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Couldn't they just make a sticker and use 2/3's of the number? I mean the cars are identical in every way except for the software.

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I don't see why they can't just copy the 60kWh numbers. Now that the cars are mechanically (electrically) the same. Having to retest would be like testing two Focuses, one with the lux Sync package and the other without. Even though they have the same engine and drive train.

5. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Maybe, but, they may get into choppy waters if customers complain that the range doesn't match what the sticker says (despite knowing that to be a fact). Sort of like the fudged mpg number scandal that Hyundai/Kia got into hot water for, recently.

6. chicagotsla

chicagotsla Member

I agree, so either they are bound by law to test the EPA for the 40's (don't know if this is the case), or they just bypass that, claim the 160 miles, and allow the 40's to "secretly" gain more KwH (42-44kwh) to ensure they get the 160 rated.

Thoughts?