TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

40 kwh not availible in Europe?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Laumb, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Tesla Motors site was down for maintenance just this morning.
    I've noticed that the 40kwh battery is not an option on the site anymore.

Even the text has been changed to "The Model S will be offered with two battery alternatives".
    Sorry the text is in Norwegian, but thats the way my Teslamotors.com is set up.

Anyone thinking it will be gone for good - or maybe be added at a later time?
    My first guess is that they don't think the range of a 40kwh pack will be sufficient here - but then again, it will make the entry price a lot higher...
    Tesla.jpg

2. Chregu

Chregu Member

Same here on the swiss webpage:
    the picture shows only the 60kWh and the 85kWh battery, but in the text are three different batteries mentioned...?

we'll see...

3. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

They're worried that the 40 won't have enough juice to run the heater as much as you guys need to! ;)

Seriously though, I think that they're trying to minimize the number of 40kWh packs they sell and simply not offering them at all seems like a pretty good way to accomplish that.

4. Adm

Adm Active Member

Wow, I really hope not... Spot P171EU will very likely open up in that case. Feeling a little sick to the stomach thinking I spent 2.5 years waiting for this car only to find out the car will be $10k more expensive only months before it comes to Europe. Model S was streching the budget as it was, but unless I win some lottery or business takes a serious unexpected turn for the better I am out.

Guess I better contact Tesla for conformation and find out for sure.

5. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Interesting. My guess is the economics don't work out enough to justify shipping it to Europe. That's very sad. We need an entry regarding this on George's board.

6. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

adm, consider getting back in line for a US version then?

7. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

I guessed it too
    In the reservation tally i only heard 1 or 2 speak about the 40, some more about 60kw, but mostly 85kw
    I think in Europe Tesla wants to keep it simple!

Maybe, tesla should import the rav4ev into europe ;-)

8. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Same on the German version of the website. Although they contradict themselves on the facts page by saying the S will be available as 60 and 85 kWh, but referring to the 40 kWh pack further on in the text. Shoddy update job I suppose.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

If there's not much demand for it, then it doesn't make much sense to go through the expense of offering it. In the US, it seems that they've done their best to disincentivize it. I'm not even sure a 40kWh Model S exists yet.

10. Adm

Adm Active Member

If the car doesn't have 3-phase charging or some other form of fast charging (CHAdeMO adapter) it looses much of its attraction to me. I am not sure if Tesla would support an American car in Europe either.

I'll wait for an official response.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Doesn't (at least a prototype) have to exist for them to put out the quarter mile numbers?

12. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Perhaps you've hit on the reason for the 40 being dropped from Europe! Tesla has told us that the reason that the 40 cannot use the supercharger is a technical limitation of the batteries being able to handle the input. Perhaps they're similarly ill suited to handle three phase charging?

Just a thought.

13. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

I expect the 3-phase charging to max out at 22kW (3x32A), so that is pretty similar to the 20kW you get with twin chargers.

Still, I never heard anybody besides adm talk about buying the 40kWh pack.

No offence to anybody, but imho the 40kWh is like putting a 1.6 engine in a 5-series.

I guess that due to all the weight the Model S gained in the last few years they came to realize that the 40kWh isn't actually up to the job.

They can't back out anymore in the US, but they think they can in the EU.

Sent from my phone, so my apologies for typos.

14. Adm

Adm Active Member

None taken Widodh.

Even with the 40kWh battery Model S would have been the fastest car I've owned so far. The range would have been good enough as I usually drive no more than 60mi/day.

An old poll here on TMC showed 15% of Model S buyers will chose the 40kWh battery. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/5690-Poll-on-battery-size

A more recent poll shows 6%, but that's from people who have finalized. Since all Sig's are 85kWh and most early adopters have deep pockets I am not surprised that the larger batteries are high favorites, but how about the next 20k reservations? It's not uncommon that OEM's first offer higher spec'd cars before producing the entry level cars, but I'd be disappointed if I'd have to wait longer possibly maybe even for Gen III.

I can understand that Tesla would chose to go this way if it would keep them from achieving their projected margins, but ... I really hope for an email from Tesla to make my day.

15. SteveH

SteveH Member

IMO it's a mistake for Tesla to move away from the 40. Especially for GenIII they are going to need a small option battery pack to keep the intro price down and the 40 still gets better range than the other EVs on the market. I suspect that there are many others like Adm who are more than happy with it. Why not keep all options available to make sure you fully penetrate the market?

16. Adm

Adm Active Member

If Tesla feels the demand on the North American market is strong enough, they could decide to ditch the 40kWh for other markets. This way they only have to ship the high end (read high margin) cars and thus have a good overall margin. Tesla is looking for good publishable numbers in the short and middle term.

I've sent an email yesterday and I am impatiently waiting for a response.

17. Adm

Adm Active Member

Just got off the phone with Tesla.

Tesla claims 99% of the clients in the USA finalizes with the 60kWh or 85kWh. He wasn't sure what Tesla was going to do yet. From what I've heard I get the impression Tesla is testing the waters to ditch the 40kWh in Europe. I could be wrong and overly pessimistic about getting a Model S with a 40kWh battery, but...
    I guess there is no harm in keeping my money a little longer, but in my head I am already thinking about alternatives.
    Leaf? Puke! Volt? Where is my tinto? What's left? Sigh... I like the Renault Zoë, but it's hardly an alternative if you've considered a Model S..

18. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I've also always planned for the 40kW battery, but I suppose it depends on the pricing. If the pricing of the 60kW is agressive enough I might stretch to a 60kW pack. The 40kW car is like 20 times as expensive as my current car, so going up to 23 times as expensive should be make such a difference anyway :) And I might actually "need" the range of the 60kW. Though last time I spoke with Tesla during my test-drive here in Oslo, they said the 40kW shoudl be in Europe too, just slightly after the 60kW.

Cobos

19. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I wonder how accurate that number is. While science and engineering types might actually mean 99% when they say it, I find sales and marking folks often toss around "99%" when they simply mean "most." Of course the US 40kWh customers are still some months from production, so it is likely that few have finalized yet. Though, I expect reasonable demand for that car once it does enter production. People considering the 40 kWh battery car are probably less likely to give Tesla a $5000 zero interest loan.

20. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

I would not be surprised if they also lost allot of 40 kWh purchases with the service plan pricing announcement. I know that was the straw that broke the camels back for me and caused me to cancel my reservation. I would be willing to bet that the average person buying the 40 is really stretching to but a Model S, and as a result, needing to pre-pay (to bring the pricing down to a reasonable level) for 4 years of service up front (in a format that cannot be rolled into the loan, so it cuts directly into the down payment) pushed the car out of reach. I cant be the only 40 kWh reservation that canceled at that point.