Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 miles gone like that?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I had my wife test drive a Y this Saturday at the SC. The range started at 270. the SA spent roughly 10 minutes, possibly less, 'splaining to her (as I stayed quiet which was hard for me). The AC was one. Off we went, mostly local streets, and a two or three lane road in each direction, with stop lights and some traffic, so I would expect decent regeneration.
I didn't check how many miles we actually went, but with traffic, and going on the local street for her to try out for a few minutes, I can't imagine we even went 20 miles. When we returned the car, it showed a range of 230.
I've read folks use percentage, etc.
This was also a new car, the AC was on during our intro, and maybe it needs to calibrate, but is it normal to lose so much from a near full charge?
on my ICE cars, usually the needle stays on full an extra long time, and then will come down.
I'm not sure if the Y does the opposite?
Basically not sure what happened. I wish I checked the actual miles, but it seems to me it really dropped for relatively low miles we went.
Thanks for any guidance!

It’s not the AC that’s primarily draining the battery.

It’s the short drive at low speeds.
thank you. i thought stop and go driving was actually "better" for the state of charge because of the regenerative braking (she barely used the brakes) - i would estimate we did 3 miles tops on the local back roads, probably close to 30 mph, and on the "highway" it was up to about 55 and down to...a crawl.
Route 22 in Springfield.
Thanks again for the reply.

If the car had been sitting in the sun prior to your test drive, it would have had to use a lot of energy (miles) to cool it down. That alone can consume quite a few miles.
Thank you - that was my thought - it was pretty warm out, and sunny. The roof was hot and radiating heat while we were standing still (felt fine when driving). Maybe it was a combination of the AC on max and sub-optimal driving.