Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40.X and steering Wheel weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are many people who are adamantly against the usage of wheel weights, I get it but that’s not the point of this thread...

Anyone on 40.X with a wheel weight noticing autopilot disengagements with no warning or the weight not working at all? I'm hearing lots of different things. I'm on 28.X and really afraid to upgrade now...I literally just got the wheel weight and I been hearing this.

IMG_0221.PNG

Last edited:
I know there are many people who are adamantly against the usage of wheel weights, I get it but that’s not the point of this thread...

Anyone on 40.X with a wheel weight noticing autopilot disengagements with no warning or the weight not working at all? I'm hearing lots of different things. I'm on 28.X and really afraid to upgrade now...I literally just got the wheel weight and I been hearing this.

View attachment 873721
Good. People shouldn’t be using wheel weights to defeat the system.

The guy who runs it is a bit of a fantasist. I’ve seen him claim in the past Tesla were trialing some features on the fleet of cars in Brazil before wider release, but what fleet of cars in Brazil? When called out he said it was a typo.. hmmm… Of course the odd story could be true, but how do you rely on any of it?

My take is he’s putting stuff out there, much of which is hard to prove or refute but will get people talking about it, ultimately for followers and advertising revenue on his website. He’s tried various dubious tactics on here too before being banned.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Sounds believable.

Detecting that the torque on the steering wheel varies over time seems straightforward enough, and with FSD v11 officially starting the march towards release as of yesterday, it makes sense they would add monitoring-defeating detection for the big Beta rollout.

It suggests that FSD v11 is or will be based on the 2022.40 codebase.

Reactions: 240vPlug
Good. People shouldn’t be using wheel weights to defeat the system.
This should be the answer except Tesla makes it harder than it needs to be to use AP. Other systems such as Blue Cruise watch your eyes so you can drive hands free. Why can't Tesla do the same with their cabin camera? It's kind of funny seeing the "most advanced" self driving system require your hands to be on the wheel the entire time while using it.

Lol.. Ok BUT has anyone actually tried this? I haven't updated and want to see if anyone on is on 2022.40.X is having issue. I'm loving using this on my 2022.28.X version.
No. (moderator edit: this snarky response and insult was surprisingly about how expensive the car was. Maybe concern for endangering others was implied)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MRLR and jfazio13

View attachment 873721

I had lots of problems with 2022.36.* , including sudden big red wheel lockouts with no warning, but I find the nag improvements in 2022.40.4.1 to be fantastic, the best I've ever experienced so far, including pre .36 versions. This is only a couple of days of experience, but I noticed it right away.

The nag frequency, at least for me, has gone down substantially, and much less force is needed to register to the computer that a human is there. My usual way of driving is to touch the steering wheel lightly and let it turn on its own through my fingers, the bare minimum of friction or resistance is now enough to preclude nags, whereas before it needed annoyingly bigger jerks on the wheel and it often nagged at the very worst time, right at the beginning of a Navigate On Autopilot lane change. Now, with my usual driving there are almost no nags ever. I'm very pleased with this new version.

I am looking straight ahead so if it is starting to use the in-car camera to reduce the nag frequency or nag amplitude needed, I applaud them. Same low-nag performance with and without weight. With the new tuning, I'm not sure I'll want/need a weight for trips any more. (I was never doing anything unsafe anyway, only used weight because the nags and wheel jerk it wanted were undesirable and distracting)

It sure does look like they started hacking on the nag algorithm recently (after a long period of stagnation) and went too far in one direction with some versions and with lots of feedback they've taken it way back over to a consumer-friendly less naggy tuning.

Last edited:
I had lots of problems with 2022.36.* , including sudden big red wheel lockouts with no warning, but I find the nag improvements in 2022.40.4.1 to be fantastic, the best I've ever experienced so far, including pre .36 versions. This is only a couple of days of experience, but I noticed it right away.

The nag frequency, at least for me, has gone down substantially, and much less force is needed to register to the computer that a human is there. My usual way of driving is to touch the steering wheel lightly and let it turn on its own through my fingers, the bare minimum of friction or resistance is now enough to preclude nags, whereas before it needed annoyingly bigger jerks on the wheel and it often nagged at the very worst time, right at the beginning of a Navigate On Autopilot lane change. Now, with my usual driving there are almost no nags ever. I'm very pleased with this new version.

I am looking straight ahead so if it is starting to use the in-car camera to reduce the nag frequency or nag amplitude needed, I applaud them. Same low-nag performance with and without weight. With the new tuning, I'm not sure I'll want/need a weight for trips any more. (I was never doing anything unsafe anyway, only used weight because the nags and wheel jerk it wanted were undesirable and distracting)

It sure does look like they started hacking on the nag algorithm recently (after a long period of stagnation) and went too far in one direction with some versions and with lots of feedback they've taken it way back over to a consumer-friendly less naggy tuning.
THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO!!! so you don't use the weight any longer. I just got the weight and driving is a breeze. I still pay 100% attention as it still scares me lol BUT it's nice to not get that nag at all! I'm torn between updating and holding off a bit longer...

THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO!!! so you don't use the weight any longer. I just got the weight and driving is a breeze. I still pay 100% attention as it still scares me lol BUT it's nice to not get that nag at all! I'm torn between updating and holding off a bit longer...

Well it's only been two days and I haven't made any lengthy trips yet. But de-nagging is easy now.

If you update, skip .36 and go to .40.4.1!

Reactions: JohnB007
Update: .40.4.1 continues to work great with and without weight.

I suspect that there wasn't ever actually any intentional weight detection algorithm, and all effects being seen was a side-effect of hacking on the algorithm, at first, tuned poorly and with bugs, and now, tuned well.