Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40.X and steering Wheel weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You my friend are a genius!! Do you have the magnetic one? Like the one I have? Also are you on the newest newest software? View attachment 908675
I have the S, and the only weight that is a perfect "fit" is the one for $199 on ebay. Not paying THAT. I have the coiled one for like, $30. It is not pretty, but effective. I failed to add..in addition to adding the weight on AFTER I've started driving and AFTER I've activated AP, I also either adjust the volume via scroll wheel or do a random tug once every 5-6 mins. Randomly. Combo of THAT is allowing me to not get any nags at all. Keep in mind Im only doing that on longer highway trips on the interstate as thats really the only time I use AP anyways for the most part. Other times I simply prefer driving the car myself

I have the S, and the only weight that is a perfect "fit" is the one for $199 on ebay. Not paying THAT. I have the coiled one for like, $30. It is not pretty, but effective. I failed to add..in addition to adding the weight on AFTER I've started driving and AFTER I've activated AP, I also either adjust the volume via scroll wheel or do a random tug once every 5-6 mins. Randomly. Combo of THAT is allowing me to not get any nags at all. Keep in mind Im only doing that on longer highway trips on the interstate as thats really the only time I use AP anyways for the most part. Other times I simply prefer driving the car mysel
I have the latest FSD *.2 version. And it looks the same as what I use, except I use it on my left side.

Can you both try something? Before you start driving can you apply pressure with the weight and your hands then take it off and test AP? I want to see if the system will get confused or not if there is weight before driving and after engaging AP. I still haven’t updated. Really don’t wanna lose this thing I have. But I gotta update sooner or later. Ughhh

We have a model Y performance and a model X Plaid. Both have weights by AP-PAPA which is the expensive one but fits perfectly and is ergonomic. With the change in the software detecting "defeat devices" I got a few strikes that I previously never had. But I've modified my driving a bit and am back to enjoying things without any nags or issues. I'm on the latest FSD beta firmware.

I never take my weights off. Nowadays I just hold the wheel with both hands at the bottom. I never have to torque it (never get nags to torque) but I do let it feel my hand "resistance" during lane changes and 90 degree turns. This results in the car behaving properly and me not having to torque the wheel causing the car to literally shake in a lane to get it to comply.

I never feel unsafe with the weight on either. FSD and autopilot are inherently very safe. I do obviously pay attention 100% of the time and I know when FSD will fail so I disengage from time to time but I have done many 20-30 min drives without any big interventions besides changing lanes with the stalks or adjusting speed. The weight makes AP and FSD an absolute joy to use. Before I got the weight AP was a nuisance because of the constant torquing required.

Reactions: macd1995
Yesterday we got our 3rd instance of being kicked out of AP unannounced. The first time was on the 1st software version to include this code, the 2nd & 3rd times were recently on 2022.44.30.10 (FSD Beta 10.69.25.2). The 1st & 3rd times the AP kickout also was a FSD Beta strike, the 2nd time did not cause an FSD Beta strike. Does anyone have any insight into that variation? We are down to only 1 FSD Beta strike left since we only get 3 on our car that fortunately doesn't have a cabin camera.

We have a model Y performance and a model X Plaid. Both have weights by AP-PAPA which is the expensive one but fits perfectly and is ergonomic. With the change in the software detecting "defeat devices" I got a few strikes that I previously never had. But I've modified my driving a bit and am back to enjoying things without any nags or issues. I'm on the latest FSD beta firmware.

I never take my weights off. Nowadays I just hold the wheel with both hands at the bottom. I never have to torque it (never get nags to torque) but I do let it feel my hand "resistance" during lane changes and 90 degree turns. This results in the car behaving properly and me not having to torque the wheel causing the car to literally shake in a lane to get it to comply.

I never feel unsafe with the weight on either. FSD and autopilot are inherently very safe. I do obviously pay attention 100% of the time and I know when FSD will fail so I disengage from time to time but I have done many 20-30 min drives without any big interventions besides changing lanes with the stalks or adjusting speed. The weight makes AP and FSD an absolute joy to use. Before I got the weight AP was a nuisance because of the constant torquing required.
Very interesting. So what’s the purpose of the weight then? It mist defeats the purpose of having it if you have to keep your hands on the wheel… right?

Very interesting. So what’s the purpose of the weight then? It mist defeats the purpose of having it if you have to keep your hands on the wheel… right?
I've thought about this myself. I bought the weights before these new rules and strikes became a reality so I did drive "hands-off" at times. Now I could take it off but I do get some security that I never get nags and I can take my hands off for short amounts of time to mess with the screen or get something from my console and the car doesn't usually change behavior.

I think I did notice that I needed to torque quite aggressively for the nags to go away initially when buying the weight and it instantly disappeared with the weight. Now I just have to hold it lightly and I never get a nag. So basically Tesla may have succeeded in getting me to be hands on but I still feel it's worthwhile to keep on for the small reasons above.

In my case, the reason for having it on all the time is because I'm having easier time keeping blue warnings away. My intention was never to take the hands off the wheel completely, but it was annoying (for me) to constantly put some torque on the wheel all the time.

I do take both hands off for 10 secs when I need to put on a clip-on sunglass. Very hard to put those on with one hand.

Haven't had a blue warning in months now. Just like kriskros91, I only hold the wheel gently.

I don't use weights, but I can't help think that simply putting a weight on top or bottom (or slightly off) of the steering wheel would cause significant differences/changes in sensed weight amounts as the car steered itself, fooling the sensors versus putting a weight on the left or right sides like I see photos of where the weight sensed would stay mostly constant.

Sorry for digging up an old thread, stumbled into this one by accident and got to wondering.

-Paul

• Disagree
Reactions: ChimpledPot
FYI, I took the weight off completely for about a week now. Although blue warning comes on a bit earlier than without, it is quite acceptable now. If I look straight, it actually let's me drive for quite a while. Also, removing blue warning takes less force, which is nice too.

One thing I didn't like about weight is how it affects the torque when I turn the wheel - not very uniform nor natural. Also it occasionally gets in the way during sharp curve turning.

I do think weight will become redundant soon at this rate. :)

Reactions: ChimpledPot