Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40.X and steering Wheel weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My hand is on the wheel all the time, but when it makes more aggressive turns, I do take my hand off completely, but both hands up on the wheel, ready to take over anytime. When the turn is complete, my left hand is back at the 7-8 oclock position.

Basically, I don't trust FSD to the point where I let it do aggressive turns with both my hands on my lab. It's a beta code after all. It's good right now, but no way I'm going to trust it 100%.

So far, zero red wheels for months for me, and my overall drive experience is much more relaxing compare to pre-Tesla for long drives.

Okay can we get back to the topic of 40.X and the weight? I still haven't upgraded and I'm going crazy!! I been using the weight on the wheel with ZERO NAGS or Kicking me out of AP. I do not have FSD software yet. Only AP which is enough for me.

Okay can we get back to the topic of 40.X and the weight? I still haven't upgraded and I'm going crazy!! I been using the weight on the wheel with ZERO NAGS or Kicking me out of AP. I do not have FSD software yet. Only AP which is enough for me.
If you want to continue using a wheel weight, you will need to forego upgrades for the foreseeable future.

Decide on your priorities.

If you want to continue using a wheel weight, you will need to forego upgrades for the foreseeable future.

Decide on your priorities.
I'm pretty sure a good size group would choose to forgo future updates, at least until more significant updates are available. History shows the normal track could do this for a while. I'm sure not on FSDb, I'd bet. 🤔

Also, a great example of perceived ramifications of installation of car updates as soon as they appear. Let so many others find these surprises while you sit on it for a couple of weeks. It will very likely be found and posted on this forum. Again, FSDb is different in that it has a vocal pre-release group.

It seems like with the current software build, if you are driving with the autopilot buddy on navigate on autopilot and don’t do anything to touch the wheel or turn signals for like 8 minutes, it will kick you out of autopilot and give you a strike (no blue warning or anything saying touch the wheel before that). I was on the road for like 8 hours today and got 2 FSD beta strikes while driving on navigate on autopilot.

Don’t be afraid to update, but just know you can’t go 10 minutes with zero wheel contact. Slightly tug on the wheel every couple minutes with a weight on and you won’t get any disengagement. It won’t be 100% hands free but you shouldn’t be doing that anyway

Reactions: 2101Guy
Just a little clarification between a MY and a MS (yoke). The model Y does benefit from a weight as the sensitivity of hands on the wheel is much to be desired in comparison to the S. Mine by the way is on the left side and has never been an issue with any update plus I have a computer camera block on the interior camera.

I can barely put any weigh on the yoke (usually my right hand just resting on it) and never get a warning. In fact I find it almost unnecessary to use a weight on the S. The Y on the other hand needs quite a bit more input which is annoying most of the time.

I just drove about 30 miles on the highway this morning and was able to go 20 minutes easily with my weight and no disengagements with a simple nudge every couple minutes. I find it harder to do much more than that anyway simply because I find it necessary to change lanes occasionally due to on ramps, slow traffic, etc.

Reactions: MRLR
TESLA SOFTWARE UPDATE 2022.44.25.1

New software was just released today and it includes Apple Music!! (which I have) Has anyone tested the weight on the new software update to see if they see any difference? I really really wanna update now. But still waiting patiently..

I don't have FSD only AP. So mostly steering and aut lane and speed. But damn it's seriously the most enjoyable and relaxing ride I have everyday. I rarely drive anymore... besides just lane changing. I don't want to lose that... but also I can't be on 28.2 version forever. I don't know what to do!!

To answer OPs question.

In short DO NOT UPDATE!

Disclaimer
“The following is a fictional story and any resemblance to real events is pure coincidence.“

I have updated last weekend to the latest “holiday” update.

So far, I have driven my regular commute (30miles about an hour) twice.

Monday it popped up, regular blue nag and said defeat device detected or whatever, but was perfectly fine and let me finish my commute hands free as previously.

This morning I got a red steering wheel right away and was told the auto pilot is disabled for rest of this drive.

Been driving for 11k miles with weight since day one.

Sometime in October updates I noticed it would ask me at least once to touch the wheel on way to work. It wouldn’t before.

It’s on the right.

I don't have FSD only AP. So mostly steering and aut lane and speed. But damn it's seriously the most enjoyable and relaxing ride I have everyday. I rarely drive anymore... besides just lane changing. I don't want to lose that... but also I can't be on 28.2 version forever. I don't know what to do!!
It is the best part.

The software updates have demonstrated incremental improvements. The impact of removing the nags was a game changer. I wouldn’t have upgraded if i knew they would be issuing no warning strikes. I hope they fix the code to at least warn first.

Got bumped off again no warning. Even after I shook the wheel less than a minute before. I made it further this time, however. Seems like low speed straight road is what gets up, like a morning traffic over the bridge.