Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40.X and steering Wheel weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are probably detecting a constant force, without the variance you would have with a hand. Might could counter this with weights that could shift internally within an enclosure. They could jerk and move with the wheel, providing a varying amount of force.

The rules state that you have to have your hands on the wheel to use Tesla's ADAS features.
Too bad they don't follow their own rules then.

If you place both hands on the wheel you get constantly nagged, but if you use one-hand you no longer get the nags. My dad complains when I drive him around now that I need to keep both hands on the wheel, but I told him that the smartest car company in the world has been training me to only use one hand so it must be the safest way to drive. :D

Define “rule”.

Because in teslas website right now, I clearly see Tesla demonstrating its car on FSD with NO hands on the wheel at ANY time.
Alexa, define rule.

"one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity or sphere"

Ie: all the written language stated in the car and warnings that appear when you use ADAS functions in a Tesla.

Did you try this crap when you were a kid with your parents?

Alexa, define rule.

"one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity or sphere"

Ie: all the written language stated in the car and warnings that appear when you use ADAS functions in a Tesla.

Did you try this crap when you were a kid with your parents?
So based on Teslas video currently demonstrating FSD on their website, they are breaking their own “rules”?

Careful how you answer..😀

• Disagree
Reactions: Dewg
So here is another post on this. I still haven’t upgraded to 40.X

Tesla now detects Autopilot cheating devices

The issue is how long can I stay on 28.X. This really sucks!
Don't believe everything on the internet. I'm not convinced they're reliably detecting weights.

I do think they are using the interior camera more, and if it doesn't see what it wants to often enough, the interval and sensitivity of the torque nag changes. There can be false events from those.

If i use a homemade weight (on left side) (while still lightly touching the wheel) and look ahead continuously there are little or no nags. Looking away the nags increase, weight or not.

The interior cam isn't that well tuned yet though.

Don't believe everything on the internet. I'm not convinced they're reliably detecting weights.

I do think they are using the interior camera more, and if it doesn't see what it wants to often enough, the interval and sensitivity of the torque nag changes. There can be false events from those.

If i use a homemade weight (on left side) (while still lightly touching the wheel) and look ahead continuously there are little or no nags. Looking away the nags increase, weight or not.

Yes ignore all the testimonials from people on 36.X and 40.X saying they’re getting disengagements as well as the articles written about it.

Reactions: ChimpledPot
Yes ignore all the testimonials from people on 36.X and 40.X saying they’re getting disengagements as well as the articles written about it.

Of course there are disengagements--the question is the origin of them. I had a bad experience with 36.X and a good one with 40.X though I did have a false lockout yesterday (with two hands on wheel).

The webosphere articles usually seem to be rumors picked up from the forums or Twitter so unless it's sourced to an engineer in Tesla I don't think they're independent pieces of information.

I’m on 36.20 fsd and I just got two strikes today. It’s funny, I always said I’d never do the weight thing, then 10.12 came along and was handing out false strikes like a job, so I bought one to try to not get kicked off fsd beta. Worked flawlessly; I actually just said to my wife today that I feel like the weight makes the system safer, as I don’t have to babysit the system and can focus solely on the road. Alas, we drove a little over an hour away, and there and back I got booted without any visual or auditory warning. Both times, looking straight ahead. Different scenarios, but both occurred after almost exactly an hour on the road. I can only assume it decided the pressure was too even after an hour, maybe? Or maybe not, and we’re just back to handing out “for fun” strikes. Either way, hooray. On the second one, I reset and removed the weight for the remaining 10 minutes and can honestly say I found it distracting to attend the nags.

I agree without an official/verified Tesla engineer chiming in, we won't know for sure.

That being said, I believe there is enough anecdotal evidence to strongly suggest they did indeed add something that does not like the steering wheel counterweight at the very least.

There's also this:

On Thanksgiving we had a 2 hour trip to visit family. On the way to I had alerts and 2 strikes. I have paid for FSD but am not using it currently. Am only using regular AutoPilot. I had not trusted FSD beta. First, I have used a weight (an ankle weight on the right side of the yoke) because I do not have to babysit the screen in front of me (refresh 2022 Model X). It allows me to concentrate on the road.

On the return trip home I made this discovery. If I merely hang 3 fingers on the left side of the yoke and keeping the weight attached I had zero nags for the enter 2 hour trip home.

Having said this and with the a few comments stating that the algorithm has been improved, I am now considering taking off the weight and merely using my left hand on the left side of the yoke. But, this also might be reason to move the weight to the left hand side of the yoke as a trial as well, per a couple of comments about left hand weights having no or few nags.

I must emphasize that I simply do not trust AutoPilot nor FSD beta and I seek any method which improves the safety factor not having to divide my concentration between the front screen and the road. I applaud any real improvement which allows me to have a hand on the wheel/yoke that detects very small movements in the wheel/yoke instead of having to move the steering in the ways we have been used to in the past while AutoPilot was engaged. This, in addition to eliminating splitting concentration would get me to losing the weight I have been using. Further testing is now warranted.

If I merely hang 3 fingers on the left side of the yoke and keeping the weight attached I had zero nags for the enter 2 hour trip home.

Having said this and with the a few comments stating that the algorithm has been improved, I am now considering taking off the weight and merely using my left hand on the left side of the yoke.
I believe you answered your own dilemma. that’s all they Want you to do. Put your hand on the wheel!

I very seldom get nags as long as I keep at least one hand on the yoke with very slight pressure. My go-to hand position is actually both hands palm down on the flat-bottom part of the yoke, and with this technique I very rarely get the nag. My old MS had the wheel (vs yoke), and I found it a bit harder to hold onto the wheel enough to prevent the nag, though. I like the yoke.

Reactions: Three60guy
I very seldom get nags as long as I keep at least one hand on the yoke with very slight pressure. My go-to hand position is actually both hands palm down on the flat-bottom part of the yoke, and with this technique I very rarely get the nag. My old MS had the wheel (vs yoke), and I found it a bit harder to hold onto the wheel enough to prevent the nag, though. I like the yoke.
Thanks for the feedback.

Never said I was opposed to using my hand on the wheel/yoke. If you recall, I was opposed to having to divide my concentration while driving in this mode. That issue still exists.

Well let me be a bit argumentative here for a second. Are you saying that with every other vehicle you have even driven, you never regularly looked to check you speed? How would that be any different than checking the screen to watch for the nags? Just normal city driving you are being distracted by way more than a simple nag notification while on a highway. Paying attention to every road sign to make sure you are doing what you are supposed to be doing in the area you are in, or not going into an area you shouldn't(one way, do not enter), watching for lights turning yellow/red, pedestrians...etc...all of which are taking your eyes off the road directly in front of you.

Well let me be a bit argumentative here for a second. Are you saying that with every other vehicle you have even driven, you never regularly looked to check you speed? How would that be any different than checking the screen to watch for the nags? Just normal city driving you are being distracted by way more than a simple nag notification while on a highway. Paying attention to every road sign to make sure you are doing what you are supposed to be doing in the area you are in, or not going into an area you shouldn't(one way, do not enter), watching for lights turning yellow/red, pedestrians...etc...all of which are taking your eyes off the road directly in front of you.
Regularly check speed with cruise control active? No.
City driving, yes.