Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40.X and steering Wheel weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
40.4.1 has weight detection. It is not nearly as bad as 36.x, but it is still there.

36.x would kick me out with zero warnings.

40.4.1 gives one warning them kicks me out for the rest of the drive.
I’ve been using a weight for more than a year, zero incidents. Version 2022.36.20, FOUR red steering wheels in three days of travel! No warning. None since I stopped using the weight.

What’s the status of this with 2022.44.25.5 FSD Beta 10.69.25? We’re currently on 2022.36.20 FSD Beta 10.69.3.1. I don’t want to update if there will be more strike issues. We only get 3 on our S because of no cabin camera. Right now our car is waiting for wifi to download & I’m not allowing it to connect to wifi.

What’s the status of this with 2022.44.25.5 FSD Beta 10.69.25? We’re currently on 2022.36.20 FSD Beta 10.69.3.1. I don’t want to update if there will be more strike issues. We only get 3 on our S because of no cabin camera. Right now our car is waiting for wifi to download & I’m not allowing it to connect to wifi.
It’s the same if your following the rules plus .25 has some Very useful improvements.

I only use my weight on longer 20+ minute freeway drives. But I had no issues using it on a 2 hours drive with 2022.44.25.5 and a few 20-45 minute on 36.x versions.

Not sure which of these factors are tricking the detection:
  1. I rarely take my eyes off the road because I don’t actually trust autopilot.
  2. I naturally touch my wheel once every 5-10 minutes.
  3. I usually put my wheel weight on after autopilot is already engaged on the freeway.
  4. My wheel weight is homemade.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Not sure which of these factors are tricking the detection:
  1. I rarely take my eyes off the road because I don’t actually trust autopilot.
same
  1. I naturally touch my wheel once every 5-10 minutes.
Did it 2-3 min apart
  1. I usually put my wheel weight on after autopilot is already engaged on the freeway.
It stayed on since i put it on 11k miles ago. Will try that.
  1. My wheel weight is homemade.
Store bought. Where does your attach?

same

Did it 2-3 min apart

It stayed on since i put it on 11k miles ago. Will try that.

Store bought. Where does your attach?
Mines attached to the right side of the yoke and weights exactly 1.55 lbs.

I did some testing today and earned a strike by leaving the weight on after putting it in park and driving again. It seems the car checks for weight when put into drive. As long as you put in the weight after putting the car in drive, it doesn’t know. Easy.

Mines attached to the right side of the yoke and weights exactly 1.55 lbs.

I did some testing today and earned a strike by leaving the weight on after putting it in park and driving again. It seems the car checks for weight when put into drive. As long as you put in the weight after putting the car in drive, it doesn’t know. Easy.
My experience on 2022.36 would disagree. The car seems to check at other times, not just when putting it in drive.

I assume it’s going to use (internal) vision/cameras to achieve the goal of not using steering wheel torque.

And Teslas vision/camera-only based solutions technology have shown to work so well with teslas auto wipers and auto high beams…

Last edited:
It’s rare that I don’t use a weight on a longer drive. But I did a 45 min drive today with my hands actually on the wheel. Got a defeat device detected message halfway through the drive. It did not kick me off autopilot or give me any strikes. I put on my weight and it’s fine for the rest of the drive. The detection’s trash.

Reactions: MTOman
It’s rare that I don’t use a weight on a longer drive. But I did a 45 min drive today with my hands actually on the wheel. Got a defeat device detected message halfway through the drive. It did not kick me off autopilot or give me any strikes. I put on my weight and it’s fine for the rest of the drive. The detection’s trash.
Boy, I don't get it. I have FSDb (now running 2022.44.30.5) and use it frequently, and always NoA on road trips, holding the yoke. I have yet to receive a single weight alarm, let alone a strike. I don't understand why many folks seem to be having difficulty with it.

starting the car/starting the drive, and THEN adding the weight back on, combined with a slight random tug onthe wheel (or tap of the SXY button to change volume) once every 7-8 minutes...and ZERO issues with the new detection capability

I removed the weight and resorted to holding the wheel. I‘m fine with it. Hope I can go back one day, but I’m not playing whack a mole with buttons and random tugs. Weight was making paying attention easier, if I have to do all this extra sugar than I’m fine with holding the wheel. Seems like you don’t need to apply as much torque as in the past.

We may all not use same type of weight which causes mixed results. Tugging randomly didn’t stop detection for me.

Can a S3XY button be progeammed to +/- the volume automatically every minute?