Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40.X and steering Wheel weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I removed the weight and resorted to holding the wheel. I‘m fine with it. Hope I can go back one day, but I’m not playing whack a mole with buttons and random tugs. Weight was making paying attention easier, if I have to do all this extra sugar than I’m fine with holding the wheel. Seems like you don’t need to apply as much torque as in the past.

We may all not use same type of weight which causes mixed results. Tugging randomly didn’t stop detection for me.

Can a S3XY button be progeammed to +/- the volume automatically every minute?
There was a person on Reddit using a flipper zero to achieve these results.

I’m assuming he either paired the flipper zero to act as a button and scripted the button press with a certain frequency or somehow emulates the button press with the flipper zero. He didn’t provide details.

I think this would technically be safer than using a weight

There was a person on Reddit using a flipper zero to achieve these results.

I’m assuming he either paired the flipper zero to act as a button and scripted the button press with a certain frequency or somehow emulates the button press with the flipper zero. He didn’t provide details.

I think this would technically be safer than using a weight
Link to the thread?

Thanks!

THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO!!! so you don't use the weight any longer. I just got the weight and driving is a breeze. I still pay 100% attention as it still scares me lol BUT it's nice to not get that nag at all! I'm torn between updating and holding off a bit longer...
I quit using that weight because the new algorithm absolutely does detect its presence.

I'm hearing the new update doesn't detect now? 23.2.X Can anyone confirm?
I don't know about 2023.2.x, but on 2022.44.30.10 (FSD Beta 10.69.25.2) we got our first punishment since the first version that had this technology. This weekend after less than 10 mins of AP driving the "defeat device detected" message appeared & autosteer was taken away for the remainder of the drive. However, this one did not give us an FSD Beta strike like the very first one did back months ago. Other days it's been way more than 10 mins without a punishment message, so I'm thinking that perhaps other steering wheel inputs (changing volume or skip track) & other AP stalk inputs (like adjusting following distance) may be taken into account. On this drive I didn't do much of the AP adjustments & there was no audio playing. I'm not sure if the AP stalk adjustments go into avoiding the punishment, but I'd guess that perhaps the steering wheel adjustments of volume etc might based on our limited experience so far. At least it didn't immediately add an FSD Beta strike since we only get 3 on our S without a cabin camera.

Reactions: Be123
On AP, I got my first detection over the weekend, but it was a warning. Didnt impact anything.

On the return trip, I put the weight on AFTER starting/moving/driving the car(that defeats the code that measures steering resistance at the start). . I then gave the wheel a random tug about every second song that came on. Never got the warning again in 3 hours of highway driving

Just got 2022.44.30.10 (FSD Beta 10.69.25.2) installed yesterday. Coming from 10.69.25.1.

I had 3 strikes.

Now I have 0. That’s nice!

I didn’t have to drive much today, but I put my left side weight on after engaging to drive, it did flash blue at me once to hold the wheel when it was doing a crazy back and forth lane change with an exit coming up (I was trying to press cancel on the screen). But as soon as I saw the blue I braked to avoid a potential strike. I will try to drive it longer on the highway to see if it notices the weight, and/or if random tugging works.

Reactions: 2101Guy and KArnold
On AP, I got my first detection over the weekend, but it was a warning. Didnt impact anything.

On the return trip, I put the weight on AFTER starting/moving/driving the car(that defeats the code that measures steering resistance at the start). . I then gave the wheel a random tug about every second song that came on. Never got the warning again in 3 hours of highway driving
So you put the weight up AFTER the car started driving? and you were fine? I just love putting on the weight and just letting it go on AP. I don't wanna get nagged or canceled out. I use the AP like 90% of the time. I have the magnet weight which one do you have? Also is this the latest version?

Just got 2022.44.30.10 (FSD Beta 10.69.25.2) installed yesterday. Coming from 10.69.25.1.

I had 3 strikes.

Now I have 0. That’s nice!

I didn’t have to drive much today, but I put my left side weight on after engaging to drive, it did flash blue at me once to hold the wheel when it was doing a crazy back and forth lane change with an exit coming up (I was trying to press cancel on the screen). But as soon as I saw the blue I braked to avoid a potential strike. I will try to drive it longer on the highway to see if it notices the weight, and/or if random tugging works.
Do you only have 1 weight or 2 on both sides? Did you have any issues with the pervious updates?

So you put the weight up AFTER the car started driving? and you were fine? I just love putting on the weight and just letting it go on AP. I don't wanna get nagged or canceled out. I use the AP like 90% of the time. I have the magnet weight which one do you have? Also is this the latest version?
when I put the weight on BEFORE driving, the warning about the weight being present came up quickly after I enabled AP.

When I started driving and THEN put the weight on there was huge difference in it (not) being able to easily detect the weight. Apparently the softwae does a check when you first start/start driving that sets the baseline for weight detection. adding the weight afterwards messes up that software check

when I put the weight on BEFORE driving, the warning about the weight being present came up quickly after I enabled AP.

When I started driving and THEN put the weight on there was huge difference in it (not) being able to easily detect the weight. Apparently the softwae does a check when you first start/start driving that sets the baseline for weight detection. adding the weight afterwards messes up that software check
Interesting, the design we use cannot be on when the wheel is turning, so it's only used after engaging AP on the freeway.

Don't worry, regulators have spoken and we're hands free starting tomorrow!!

FB_IMG_1676654679318.jpg

Yay!! No more wheel weights! 🤦

You my friend are a genius!! Do you have the magnetic one? Like the one I have? Also are you on the newest newest software?
225AEFE4-9ED1-4702-9DCF-E5AF3B033FBB.jpeg

I'm using the weight all the time now. It is always attached. But my hands are on the wheels all the time also.

I haven't gotten the blue warning in months now.

I no longer have to focus on adding just right amount of torque to prevent the blue warning. Rather, I have the hands on all the time, so that I have the fastest possible reaction time in case FSD does dumb things.

I'm still not comfy enough with the current FSD to take my hands off completely for more than 10 secs, and FSD is on 90% of my drives.

I'm using the weight all the time now. It is always attached. But my hands are on the wheels all the time also.

I haven't gotten the blue warning in months now.

I no longer have to focus on adding just right amount of torque to prevent the blue warning. Rather, I have the hands on all the time, so that I have the fastest possible reaction time in case FSD does dumb things.

I'm still not comfy enough with the current FSD to take my hands off completely for more than 10 secs, and FSD is on 90% of my drives.
What software version are you on John? Do you have the magnetic weight? Like the one in my picture?

Reactions: Mr_Joe