TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

400 mile range battery hint on Tesla's main page

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by KevinThornberry, Jun 15, 2016.

1. KevinThornberry

If you look at the dashboard picture on the Model S main page, it shows a battery indicator on the bottom left of the screen indicating 242 miles remaining on charge. This indicator is not more than 60% full which would equate to a total range of over 400 miles when charged to 100%.

Link for Page: Model S | Tesla Motors

Link for Picture:
    https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/images/model-s/autopilot...

Kinda awesome if it's what they are currently testing out internally, or maybe it's a plant to stir debate.

If this has been discussed in the past, i've missed it.

Thought it was worth a share-

2. wart

wart Member

"Ideal miles" rather than "rated miles" maybe?

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

This.

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

That's assuming it's set to show EPA "Rated" and not "Ideal" Range.

5. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Or that's just a Photoshop composite put together by the web/marketing team. It's not a hint or a plant.

6. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Don't need that much range. Would you care if our cars had a 1,200 mile range? Clearly not. There is a threshold beyond which we don't care. For me, it's 300 miles real-world range, which would be about 370 rated miles in my 85D. Right now, my 270 RM translates into roughly 205-225 real miles.

- K

• Like x 2
  7. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Unless you are traveling. Then the size of the battery is not so much about how far you can go but more of how fast you can charge. If a car had a battery supporting 500 miles it would mean on a trip with the current super charging spacing one would be able to charge in the bottom quarter of the battery reducing charge time significantly.

• Like x 1
  8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I wouldn't mind 1200-mile range from the same-sized pack. Would certainly reduce SC visits. Of course, by that time we'd have 800A charging as well.

Meanwhile, back here on Earth, a 400-mile battery would be the minimum necessary for all sorts of use in the more rural areas. And heaven forbid there's hauling involved.

There are a lot of different types of vehicles on the road today. When long-haul truckers put Tesla batteries in their Kenworths, you'll know they're big enough and change fast enough.

Until then, these are just baby steps.

• Like x 1