Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

400 Mile Range Prize

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought there was something about the trip having to end up @ Fremont or something -- I thought it was a prescribed target pair of start and stop cities. Perhaps I'm misremembering it.

Does it have to actually be a GPS-proven distance, or does a dyno run of 400 miles count? ;)

That's what I remember too. Something about starting in LA but can't find it.

That's what I remember too. Something about starting in LA but can't find it.

He tweeted it. Here you go!

Elon 400 mile prize.png

I'm sure they'll give the "prize" to anyone completing 400 miles on a single charge even if it's not the LA-SF trip Elon mentioned on his tweet.
This would be big publicity for TM no matter where it's done.

Yeah,,, If it happened in Florida, CA, Texas, Montana and 6 places inbetween it would add much more local credibility to the car's capabilities.

On my theoretical "drive the car home from the factory" trip, I had planned to drive west from Denver to Kansas City on US-36, which is straight, downhill, downwind, and lightly traveled. For safety sakes, it would be best for the Model S to be trailed by a vehicle with yellow flashing lights (like those used when moving over-width loads), but I'm sure that you could do 400 miles at 35mph on this route. From the Denver East / Strasburg KOA to Washington, KS is exactly 400 miles.

Driving around town this morning I noticed that my projected range was >20 miles higher than rated range and that as I drove neither number seemed to be falling in line with my mileage. I tried beng "extra careful" with my driving habits for 5 or 6 miles to see how low I could get the average power consumption while still keeping up with traffic. With A/C and music on I got the average down to 186Wh/mile which seems to indicate that 400 is achievable.

photo1.JPG

photo.JPG

Last edited:
Over on another thread devoted to this topic I proposed a route from Alma, CO, to Hays, KS. My entry is near the bottom of this first page.

Best Route for 400 mile Challenge

Based on recent experience with driving the S on mountain roads in Colorado, I now believe that it's much more important to pick a route that includes an absolute minimum of climbing (i.e., as flat as possible) than to try a route that is significantly downhill overall but includes climbs as well as descents. You just don't get back enough of the energy expended in climbs during the descents. I drove a 48 mile route that descended 4000' overall, but I still expended about 143 Wh/mile. Granted, I did it at higher speeds than a hypermiler would, but the bulk of it was done between 30 mph and 45 mph.

Hack-charging on a generator - Page 8

Last edited:
Nigel, I've played that game also of trying to my average under 300 or under 200 -- the easiest is when I'm with traveling with the wind and driving behind a truck going slow (around 50mph). If I had two days to spare (because I'd need to go 400 miles in one direction) I'm pretty confident I could do the 400 miles on a charge, but unless the prize is another S I really can't spare the time!