Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

400+ Wh/Mi after front drive unit replaced...any ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a new inventory car with 90 miles on it, 2018 MS 100D. After 2k miles and multiple tows to the SC they decided to replace my front drive unit. Since then I've noticed significant increase in energy consumption. I recently had other issues and brought car back to SC, they also updated my HW to 3. Since then I am seeing even higher energy consumption in the mid 400s. I have 21" Arachnids which I know decrease efficiency but it shouldn't be this high in my opinion.

I drive extremely conservative, rarely floor it (I know many people will say bash me for this). I live in Southern California so weather is typically warm year round. I can barely get 150 miles off a full charge. I dont use the HVAC much and drive mostly streets. I've even tried range mode and chill mode for extended amounts of time and still see high numbers in the high 300s.

When my car was at the SC recently I had a 75D loaner and it was waaay more efficient, I drove the same places to compare such as work, the gym etc. It would be in the low to mid 200s.

SC is saying everything is fine with my car and battery is in good health but I feel like something is wrong, its extremely frustrating to pay more for 100D and range yet the 75D loaner is getting more range.

Anyone have any ideas? My neighbor has a MX 100D and gets lower wh/mi and he says he drives aggressive..

Does the 100D feel like it accelerates as fast as the 75D loaner? It should or feel even faster, and if not then perhaps the brake pads are somehow being slightly applied and forcing the motors to work harder. If efficiency is unreasonably high then there must be extra resistance or consumption somewhere. Perhaps a bad thermostat causing constant battery cooling or heating?

That is not right and agree with others ideas. I would hound the SC to drive the car for a couple days and explain how it is consuming 25% more than rated. I get that wh/mi only in 20 degree NE wintertime. Above 50 degrees my 75D gets 185-225 driving as you describe.