Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$4000 Door Ding.... Video attached, you have to watch until the end

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup and for some strange reason people still park next to you. I once parked on essentially an empty lot totally out of the way and a minivan pulls up right next to me when there are dozens of empty spots all around us. It's like they need another car as reference to park.

I was in the car so before they could even open the door I backed up and parked one spot over.

What terrifies me more than anything are places that require valet parking. Hopefully with all this COVID stuff, valet parking as a concept will cease to exist.

Exactly! Someone always parks near me no matter how far away I am.

That lady didn't even bother to control the door. That was no wind. Not only does she not car about damage to other vehicles, she doesn't care about her own Lexus SUV. The only credit I give her is that she's more inside her parking space (OP seems awfully close to the line edges), but still her fault all the way. Someone left a dimple on my door too but I wasn't able to figure out who was responsible. At least OP was able to get it paid for and repaired, but now it has to be repainted. How bad was the dent really? I agree with above and wonder why not PDR?

Examples of what happens when I try to park the furthest away:

SmartSelect_20200630-184116_Message+.jpg
SmartSelect_20200630-183950_Message+.jpg

Yeah, she's used to doing that obviously. Well, it's time to pay up! Can't blame you at all.

As for parking alone and having someone park next to me? It's comical. Human nature I guess, or someone wants to have a closer look. At least they were considerate enough to leave lots of space in between.

That lady didn't even bother to control the door. That was no wind. Not only does she not car about damage to other vehicles, she doesn't care about her own Lexus SUV. The only credit I give her is that she's more inside her parking space (OP seems awfully close to the line edges), but still her fault all the way. Someone left a dimple on my door too but I wasn't able to figure out who was responsible. At least OP was able to get it paid for and repaired, but now it has to be repainted. How bad was the dent really? I agree with above and wonder why not PDR?

View attachment 558857 View attachment 558858

Yeah I have other similar experiences where I park totally out of the way and sometimes I return to find someone went out of their way to park next to me.

Sorry to hear about the dimple :( Did you use PDR for that?

Part of me is trying very hard to convince the rest of me that I should just stop worrying about this stuff and just enjoy the car and stop obsessing about my car and where I park so much. I can then just set aside some money every year to fix any dents or whatever and stop worrying so much knowing once a year everything will get fixed either via insurance or out of pocket for minor things.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Yeah I have other similar experiences where I park totally out of the way and sometimes I return to find someone went out of their way to park next to me.

Sorry to hear about the dimple :( Did you use PDR for that?

Part of me is trying very hard to convince the rest of me that I should just stop worrying about this stuff and just enjoy the car and stop obsessing about my car and where I park so much. I can then just set aside some money every year to fix any dents or whatever and stop worrying so much knowing once a year everything will get fixed either via insurance or out of pocket for minor things.

No, I haven't fixed it yet. I am only reminded of the dimple once in a while when it catches my eye. PDR worked wonders on a crease someone put on my Lexus LS 460 but I'm a little paranoid with PDR on the aluminum Tesla and don't want to risk making things worse.

No, I haven't fixed it yet. I am only reminded of the dimple once in a while when it catches my eye. PDR worked wonders on a crease someone put on my Lexus LS 460 but I'm a little paranoid with PDR on the aluminum Tesla and don't want to risk making things worse.
PDR works fine. Just make sure they have worked on Tesla’s before given aluminum is different. And of course they need to have access somehow, which is challenging on some panels.

Reactions: croman

This is the bane of my existence. I'll never understand these people or the other end of the spectrum where they'll spend 12 minutes doing a 75 point turn to get into a spot, where they could go 4 spots further up and drive straight into a spot with 3 spaces either side of them. Surely there's some medication or ointment for these people. /Bill Burr rant over

i looked at the video again. To be clear, responsibility is 100% on her. However...

If the OP had parked as far away from the yellow line as she had parked her truck? Appears her door would have not reached his car...

Kinda like why I also never take off immediately when I get a green light at a 4 way intersection....
If someone runs the light and hits me? 100% their fault...

However...

Reactions: PhilDavid

If I had the time, I might wait and ask very, very nicely why they did that. I would be very friendly and non-confrontational, but my curiosity would get to me. Fortunately, I've never, ever had that happen to me even though I park way out and on the end.

More on topic, I have a large scrape down the passenger door, right in the middle, down to the metal. Two shops I've taken it to both said they would need to repaint the entire door, and possibly the adjoining panels to get the paint to match. (Apparently the multi-layer red is a pain to do.) Both came in at around $1600 on the high end of the estimates. $4000 sounds very high to me by comparison.