TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

4000 mile road trip

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by David99, May 23, 2018.

1. David99

David99 Active Member

I made a little video about our annual road trip which is 2000 miles each way. I think I've driven it 10 times now. 4 years ago, when I first got my Model S, there used to be only one route and you had to hit every Supercharger to make it. Now there are 4 different routes and more than enough Superchargers so you actually have choices where to stop or skip. Way to go Tesla!

160k miles and counting, never broke down once in those 4 years!

• Like x 9
  2. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

your daughter's enthusiasm was all the comedy I needed for this video haha

• Like x 3
  3. David99

David99 Active Member

They hate the trip but they are fun once we are on the road. :)

4. arcus

arcus Active Member

Nice one! Sorry if I missed it, but when was your roadtrip? I see some snow when you were passing Utah.

5. David99

David99 Active Member

It was over Christmas. I know it's almost half a year later but I never took the time to edit it together. I record videos all the time but only a few make it LOL
    We are driving up again end of June. Should be much easier. Cold weather really sucks extra energy for the heater and the girls like to crank the heater way up. That adds a good amount of time to the charging stops. This time my energy consumption was 400 Wh/mile. 2 years ago when I drove back in the summer I used only 310 Wh/mile.

• Informative x 1
  6. arcus

arcus Active Member

I hear ya! We are about to hit the road again next weekend, but I am barely starting to write on my blog about our last year's escapade :)

7. alloverx

alloverx Member

Nice video editing. Love the PJs; presumably they wont be worn this time :)
    How do you decide who rides in the truck versus the car?

8. David99

David99 Active Member

The girls decided who wants to ride where. For the most part of the trip we drove together so it made no difference in time. One of our cats was in the truck with us. I think that made them prefer the Tesla LOL

9. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

This gives me confidence not to worry about millage on the car. Still on that old ICE mentality when it comes to milage. Taking some time to get out of it with this being my first electric car in general.

Great video. Great editing!

• Like x 1
  10. David99

David99 Active Member

Thanks so much! I'm working on my 4 year review video. Definitely the least amount of running cost out of any car I have owned. Everything is holding up pretty well after those 160k miles. With the engine and transmission being out of the equation, the parts that suffer the most wear and tear are gone. Honestly I'm most impressed with how well the battery is holding up. Tesla got that right.