Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

400A main panel recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the SC12L200S is ~$300 more than the SC816F200PS even though it has no distribution, though I'm not sure if it's really an apples to apples comparison otherwise. But price isn't my top priority anyway here.

I'll ask my electrician if he can put in a no distribution panel instead and see what he says.

Are there any particular main breaker only panels that you can recommend?
1644453631823.png

This shows that SC12L200S panel with 6 spaces to be a Main Lug Only panel which I do not recommend for a service panel.

• Funny
Reactions: victir
This shows that SC12L200S panel with 6 spaces to be a Main Lug Only panel which I do not recommend for a service panel.
It's almost as if I don't know what I'm talking about...
You are actually better to go with the panel your electrician recommended and put the HOM2200BB on the distribution bus, using the 100% rule.
I'm certainly ok with that. Nor do I mind paying more for a meter breaker only panel like the CQRA200 Wayne pointed to. I just want to do things right.

To recap:
Stick with the SC816F200PS chosen by my electrician, put a HOM2200BB on the distribution bus for the subpanel and put nothing else in there to meet the 100% rule. That should be effectively the same as having a meter breaker only panel and should allow for easy upgrade to PV/batteries in the future by putting something like a Backup Gateway (or whatever) between the meter and the subpanel.

Is that all correct? I don't want to garble this up and relay poor information to my electrician...

It's almost as if I don't know what I'm talking about...

I'm certainly ok with that. Nor do I mind paying more for a meter breaker only panel like the CQRA200 Wayne pointed to. I just want to do things right.

To recap:
Stick with the SC816F200PS chosen by my electrician, put a HOM2200BB on the distribution bus for the subpanel and put nothing else in there to meet the 100% rule. That should be effectively the same as having a meter breaker only panel and should allow for easy upgrade to PV/batteries in the future by putting something like a Backup Gateway (or whatever) between the meter and the subpanel.

Is that all correct? I don't want to garble this up and relay poor information to my electrician...
You got it, that leaves all your options open, it's quite a flexible panel.
Just looking again, and the panel selected is solar ready with a 225A bus, so you have a small headroom to put a non-backup circuit or 2 in the main panel up to 25A on each phase.

Hm, why is that? With a backup switch are those loads also non-backup?
With the backup switch, there is no need to reconfigure the service panel and relocate loads. All the loads and all the generation sources land right into the main panel. This is why you may need more slots for a design with the backup switch, though you could always add another subpanel from the breaker or subfeed lugs to capture these additional loads.

With the backup switch, there is no need to reconfigure the service panel and relocate loads. All the loads and all the generation sources land right into the main panel.
Not following you, the Backup Switch (vs the Gateway) makes it easy to backup up all the loads on the service, but it doesn't change any of the interconnection limitations in (2017) 705.12(B). So I don't see how it has any bearing on any of the prior discussion.

Cheers, Wayne

With the backup switch, there is no need to reconfigure the service panel and relocate loads. All the loads and all the generation sources land right into the main panel. This is why you may need more slots for a design with the backup switch, though you could always add another subpanel from the breaker or subfeed lugs to capture these additional loads.
Ok, but all my loads are already in a subpanel, would I need to move them to the main panel if I got the backup switch?

Ok, but all my loads are already in a subpanel, would I need to move them to the main panel if I got the backup switch?
The subfeed that feeds the subpanel where your loads are located, needs to land in the main panel. This is effectively the same as landing directly in the main panel.

Sorry I didn't catch that most of your loads were already in a subpanel not near the MSP.

Not following you, the Backup Switch (vs the Gateway) makes it easy to backup up all the loads on the service, but it doesn't change any of the interconnection limitations in (2017) 705.12(B). So I don't see how it has any bearing on any of the prior discussion.

Cheers, Wayne
What I was trying to say was that when a backup switch is used in the MSP, the MSP loads to be backed up can stay just as they are, assuming whole home backup.

When using the GW2 approach, you have to reconfigure the MSP to relocate backup loads to another panel unless the MSP is already a main breaker only combo panel, or a separate meter socket only with separate main distribution panel.

What I was trying to say was that when a backup switch is used in the MSP, the MSP loads to be backed up can stay just as they are, assuming whole home backup.
Only if the generation can be landed in that MSP in compliance with 705.12(B).

So for the case of a 200A bus MSP (Main Service Panel) with a 200A main breaker, that only allows 32A (continuous) of on-grid inverter current to land in the MSP. Which works for one PW+, or one PW plus up to 8A of PV inverter. If you want to interconnect more, you either need a larger MSP bus or a smaller main breaker.

Cheers, Wayne

Only if the generation can be landed in that MSP in compliance with 705.12(B).

So for the case of a 200A bus MSP (Main Service Panel) with a 200A main breaker, that only allows 32A (continuous) of on-grid inverter current to land in the MSP. Which works for one PW+, or one PW plus up to 8A of PV inverter. If you want to interconnect more, you either need a larger MSP bus or a smaller main breaker.

Cheers, Wayne
I dont disagree with anything you said.

I suspect by the time this comes to fruition the 2020 NEC is adopted and with it PCS control over the backfeed.

PG&E will not run a 200A service to a 400A meter/main. And everything solar/powewrall related is easier if your service disconnect enclosure does not contain any branch breakers (distribution section).

So I would suggest selecting a 200A meter/main only (no distribution). Then install a 200A feeder to a panel with a 200A main breaker, with either a 225A or larger bus. With a physical layout where a large enclosure (like a Backup Gateway) could easily be installed in between the meter/main and the subpanel, intercepting the feeder.

A bus larger than 225A is probably unnecessary, as a 225A bus will allow you to interconnect up to 70A of inverters (after 125% factor) via the 120% rule, without downsizing the main breaker And if you need to install more, that could be done via a feeder interconnection by intercepting the feeder between the meter/main and the subpanel. That's the reason for putting a main breaker in the subpanel, to facilitate a future feeder interconnection.

Cheers, Wayne
I’m not PG&E but this is exactly how Tesla installed my Powerwalls with whole house backup. There are times when my car is charging, the clothes dryer is running, the oven is going, and the AC is going full blast. This is more than 110 A and there’s plenty more capacity left on the panel. I’m on a 100 kVA subsurface transformer shared with 10 other homes but at this point the bottleneck would be the distribution transformer and not the panel.