Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

400v Controller upgrade - GS Technology

drewski

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2019
SF Bay Area
I am preparing to make this change, and thanks for the instructions. I do have some questions though

1. Inhibit the car
>> I assume I disconnect the car from power?
>> what are the risk of doing this? I will need to ship the 400v controller from Australia to Europe and back. Should I be afraid the battery will run out and potentially brick the car? Or is that not going to happen in 3-4 weeks?

2. Take the protective plastic cover off for easier access to the bolts.
3. There is only 3 bolts to unscrew and 7 plugs.
4. Disconnect the Black cable first; I assumed this was the power, then the Bonnet cable for the hood close indicator. Car will beep; I guess it's the power or signal of 400v controller disconnecting from VMS
5.White plugs unhook and slide out but do not come out; they slider out to a certain point allowing the Orange plug to be released.
6. When you received back I hooked up in reverse order; Plugs first, then Black power cable last.
7. Success
>> Is there a "uninhibit" function? or does this happen automatically?

Inhibit the car = Inhibiting the APS via the diagnostic menu. I think it's in the "Controls" sub-menu? You need to Uninhibit in the same menu.

jason.tv

Feb 13, 2020
Florida
I am preparing to make this change, and thanks for the instructions. I do have some questions though

1. Inhibit the car
>> I assume I disconnect the car from power?
>> what are the risk of doing this? I will need to ship the 400v controller from Australia to Europe and back. Should I be afraid the battery will run out and potentially brick the car? Or is that not going to happen in 3-4 weeks?

2. Take the protective plastic cover off for easier access to the bolts.
3. There is only 3 bolts to unscrew and 7 plugs.
4. Disconnect the Black cable first; I assumed this was the power, then the Bonnet cable for the hood close indicator. Car will beep; I guess it's the power or signal of 400v controller disconnecting from VMS
5.White plugs unhook and slide out but do not come out; they slider out to a certain point allowing the Orange plug to be released.
6. When you received back I hooked up in reverse order; Plugs first, then Black power cable last.
7. Success
>> Is there a "uninhibit" function? or does this happen automatically?

In total my car was in inhibit state for 3 weeks which I charged to 171-172 miles; when the package came back in 3 weeks my car had 144 miles range remaining so lost about 27 miles in duration.

When you inhibit the roadster the phantom drain is as slow as a model S if you leave it sitting; the average phantom drain shutting down or inhibiting abs for 3 weeks is normal for 27 mile loss.

When you un-inhibit the car you push the vds screen and you will be in the same control settings menu you put the car in inhibit state. You will see "unhibit" and 12v operations will come back on.

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC