Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

400v Controller upgrade - GS Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am preparing to make this change, and thanks for the instructions. I do have some questions though

1. Inhibit the car
>> I assume I disconnect the car from power?
>> what are the risk of doing this? I will need to ship the 400v controller from Australia to Europe and back. Should I be afraid the battery will run out and potentially brick the car? Or is that not going to happen in 3-4 weeks?

2. Take the protective plastic cover off for easier access to the bolts.
3. There is only 3 bolts to unscrew and 7 plugs.
4. Disconnect the Black cable first; I assumed this was the power, then the Bonnet cable for the hood close indicator. Car will beep; I guess it's the power or signal of 400v controller disconnecting from VMS
5.White plugs unhook and slide out but do not come out; they slider out to a certain point allowing the Orange plug to be released.
6. When you received back I hooked up in reverse order; Plugs first, then Black power cable last.
7. Success
>> Is there a "uninhibit" function? or does this happen automatically?

Inhibit the car = Inhibiting the APS via the diagnostic menu. I think it's in the "Controls" sub-menu? You need to Uninhibit in the same menu.

I am preparing to make this change, and thanks for the instructions. I do have some questions though

1. Inhibit the car
>> I assume I disconnect the car from power?
>> what are the risk of doing this? I will need to ship the 400v controller from Australia to Europe and back. Should I be afraid the battery will run out and potentially brick the car? Or is that not going to happen in 3-4 weeks?

2. Take the protective plastic cover off for easier access to the bolts.
3. There is only 3 bolts to unscrew and 7 plugs.
4. Disconnect the Black cable first; I assumed this was the power, then the Bonnet cable for the hood close indicator. Car will beep; I guess it's the power or signal of 400v controller disconnecting from VMS
5.White plugs unhook and slide out but do not come out; they slider out to a certain point allowing the Orange plug to be released.
6. When you received back I hooked up in reverse order; Plugs first, then Black power cable last.
7. Success
>> Is there a "uninhibit" function? or does this happen automatically?

In total my car was in inhibit state for 3 weeks which I charged to 171-172 miles; when the package came back in 3 weeks my car had 144 miles range remaining so lost about 27 miles in duration.

When you inhibit the roadster the phantom drain is as slow as a model S if you leave it sitting; the average phantom drain shutting down or inhibiting abs for 3 weeks is normal for 27 mile loss.

When you un-inhibit the car you push the vds screen and you will be in the same control settings menu you put the car in inhibit state. You will see "unhibit" and 12v operations will come back on.

Last edited:
I just mailed mine to GS Technology for the upgrade; knowing that a part crucial to my car is going to be flown across the world and back makes me a little nervous, but I'm looking forward to having my climate control back. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Their website is a little weak….. who did you speak to and do you know if they speak only german or french and english as well….?
will want to do the same and as i live in switzerland it should be a little quicker i guess. :)

Their website is a little weak….. who did you speak to and do you know if they speak only german or french and english as well….?
will want to do the same and as i live in switzerland it should be a little quicker i guess. :)

Contact info

Martin - [email protected]

I forgot to update; I also had the painted car 400v controller upgraded about 9 months back as well; I was receiving a bsm or powertrain fault errors during summer time since battery was too hot or around 102F when trying to start the car; I had to power down via diagnostic menu and reboot car in order to make it start - since the upgrade I have received no errors since; just the occasional TPMS fault and "Key in Switch door ajar"

This time the 400v controller got to them from Florida in under 3 days; Shipped on Tuesday they received on Friday and sent back Monday or Tuesday; and was back at my location by Friday so only took a week for this controller to get upgraded.

IMG_4645.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

Last edited:
Contact info

I forgot to update; I also had the painted car 400v controller upgraded about 9 months back as well; I was receiving a bsm or powertrain fault errors during summer time since battery was too hot or around 102F when trying to start the car; I had to power down via diagnostic menu and reboot car in order to make it start - since the upgrade I have received no errors since; just the occasional TPMS fault and "Key in Switch door ajar"

This time the 400v controller got to them from Florida in under 3 days; Shipped on Tuesday they received on Friday and sent back Monday or Tuesday; and was back at my location by Friday so only took a week for this controller to get upgraded.

thanks for the heads up will call on them to explore the possibilities.

Reactions: jason.tv
Contact info

I just got my 400V controller back from GS Tech, and my heater and heated seats now work perfectly! Big thanks to GS Tech for getting my 400V controller repaired, updated, and sent back so quickly. Now to tackle why the A/C isn't blowing cold...
Current cost?
Shipping method?
Thanks!

I used USPS Priority Mail International Express to get it there for $68, which took 23 days (they actually lost the package for a week). Cost me about $1,542 for the upgrade + shipping back to the US (which I think was something like $250, however, it only took a few days to get back to me).

I used USPS Priority Mail International Express to get it there for $68, which took 23 days (they actually lost the package for a week). Cost me about $1,542 for the upgrade + shipping back to the US (which I think was something like $250, however, it only took a few days to get back to me).

holy!! I'd rather pay the $200-$250 shipping at fedex and get there in 3 days.

Yeah, I strongly urge everyone else to NOT use USPS for shipping to Switzerland LOL.

Well, after a study of the HVAC system documentation that I dredged up on this wonderful forum, I determined that the AC system was either empty or overfilled. Turns out it was the former, and a fresh recharge got everything to kick over. Stoked!

Now I just need to get a new rear TESLA emblem and passenger-middle vent flap, and she'll be 100%!

Reactions: Bunnak and drewski