TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

40A charger replacement

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by TexasEV, Apr 24, 2017.

1. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

My 4 year old Model S won't charge. Service center is checking the logs and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm still on my original UMC so it could be that, but if the charger needs to be replaced I'm wondering if anyone with a bad 40A charger had theirs replaced with the new 48A one.

2. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Hmm, I am fairly sure that's not possible. It's a different part and different shape than the old one, so I don't think they made it so it could be swapped in, but I haven't heard anything specific either way.

• Helpful x 1
  3. tpham07

tpham07 Member

i believe for the same reason the 80A dual charger is not compatible with the new refresh models that sport the 48A charger, the 48A charger is not compatible with cars that can take the 80A dual charger.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Yes, when I dropped the car off they told me if it needs a new charger it can only be replaced with the 40A one.