Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40A Clean Install vs. 80/100A Conduit Install?

Which install option would you run with?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my concern too. The second electrician did take a look - I told him safety was a real concern - and he said it checked out. He didn't specify what gauge it was though.

If it were actually 10 gauge on a now 40A breaker, what sort of risks does that potentially entail (to our house and the car)?

No risk if you set the HPWC to 30A charging...per the NEC chart. :cool:

NEC wire amps.PNG

I went for the 100a circuit and recommend you do so too. Between the charger upgrade, the cost of the HPWC, and the difference in electrician quotes from a 14-50 circuit, the incremental cost is about $2500 (yes, electricians in my area are expensive). Why did I do it?

1 - Future-proofing. Whenever I've made a decision to buy the lesser option, regardless of what I'm buying, I inevitably regret it. I expect my move to EV from ICE to be permanent, so that gives me some piece of mind.

2 - Amortized over several years the monthly cost is trivial, and you'll spend nearly that every month at Starbucks or in some other inconsequential way. This is a long-term investment, and I'm not moving from my house.

3 - I would have easily spent that on the European trip to pick up my ICE car alternative, a BMW 6 under BMW's wonderful European Delivery Program (would have been my 5th, and definitely something I'll miss). Viewed that way, it's free.

4 - I won't get the tax credit since I'm in AMT every year, but I can amortize the business percentage of this cost, which is about 65%.

Go for it.

• Informative
Reactions: dss33
One would like to think if two different electricians looked at it and they understand what you are going to use it for, then the wire must be fine. Also, true if it is 10AWG and you limited the car to only drawing 30--then you most likely should be fine. Unless you have a surge or three years down the road someone forgets and sets the car higher--so on and so forth. This is not a risk that I would take, if you find out it has the proper size wire--than of course there is no issue.