Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40amp 14-50 outlet vs Wall Connector Gen 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My electrician is not only a certified electrician but also a certified inspector. He usually does only commercial work but as a long time aquaintance he agreed to wire my garage. He installed a 14-50 receptacle behind a 40 amp breaker. Perfectly acceptable by code as long as it is marked as such.

My EV at that time was a 2020 Nissan Leaf. I used the supplied 30 amp travel charger. When I got my Tesla I wanted to use the wall charger and keep the travel charger in the car. I called him to see if he would be willing to come over and remove the 14-50 receptacle and hard wire the Tesla charger.

He had a better idea. Leave the receptacle in place. What if things change again? Just attach an appliance cord to the Tesla charger. He was aware of my capabilities and had no qualms about me doing it. I sent a picture of the finished product and got his approval. It took a little Dremel surgery to make the strain relief work. It would probably be OK for outdoor use but would no longer be certified as such. No problem as it is in the garage.

Here is the finished product.

IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
This installation does not meet code for two reasons:

1) The NEC does not allow for adding a power plug to equipment that is not provided with a power plug by the manufacturer.

2) Even if reason #1 was not an issue, having a power plug connection longer than 12 inches (including the power plug) is not compliant with the specification for electric vehicle service equipment.

Here is the ClipperCreek HCS-40 with the NEMA 14-50 power plug. Notice how short the power plug connector is on the HCS-40.

32A Level 2 EVSE HCS-40P with NEMA 14-50 | ClipperCreek

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
He had a better idea.
No, he actually didn't.
Just attach an appliance cord to the Tesla charger.
...which is violating code, because it does not comply with the installation instructions of the manufacturer.
also a certified inspector.
Then he should know better.
Leave the receptacle in place. What if things change again?
This doesn't even make sense. It is super easy to swap out whatever is on the end of these wires. Why would he think that leaving a 14-50 outlet specifically somehow makes it immune to whatever may change in the future? Hard wiring is more consistent and safer because of less weak connection points. And EV charging will always want the higher 240V. There won't be a need for the extra neutral and 120V that the outlet is providing.

Reactions: Big Earl