Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40amp charging while traveling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC,

I have a November order MYLR7 that should be delivered in the next few months. I would like to have a 40amp charger to use while traveling with a 14-50. The UMC is only 32 amps. My plan was to buy the Tesla Corded Mobile connector on Tesla website and sell my new bundled UMC. But the Corded MC isn't available to order now.

There are 40amp chargers on Amazon such as this https://www.amazon.com/MUSTART-Port..._1_5?keywords=40+amp+ev&qid=1655219621&sr=8-5

However I'd prefer a genuine Tesla product if available. It appears the other option I have is buying an older used Tesla mobile connector on Ebay which allows 40 amps.

If the adapter only has a 14-50 plug I would use this adapter if I only have a 120v plug. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HFFN94/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any suggestions of how I can best get a 40 amp travel charging setup would be appreciated. Thank you.

I would ask what scenario you imagine that an extra 8a is going to make a serious difference? Using that cheap chinese EVSE or that 14-50 to 5-15 adapter you linked seem like non-starters to me. Buying a 5+ year old used UMC is better, but they retired that design for good reason. The adapters had a high failure rate, and there was no thermal monitoring of the plug.

Reactions: MacO512
I would ask what scenario you imagine that an extra 8a is going to make a serious difference? Using that cheap chinese EVSE or that 14-50 to 5-15 adapter you linked seem like non-starters to me. Buying a 5+ year old used UMC is better, but they retired that design for good reason. The adapters had a high failure rate, and there was no thermal monitoring of the plug.

I spend a lot of time in campgrounds that have 14-50 service, so pulling the vehicle in to charge at lunch for the most miles I could in a couple hours before I go back out. Having 40 amps on the charger is a 25% increase.

Yes I could get by fine with 32 amps. But if I can find a good 14-50 40amp charger option I'd rather have 25% extra range than not have it.

I spend a lot of time in campgrounds that have 14-50 service, so pulling the vehicle in to charge at lunch for the most miles I could in a couple hours before I go back out. Having 40 amps on the charger is a 25% increase.

Yes I could get by fine with 32 amps. But if I can find a good 14-50 40amp charger option I'd rather have 25% extra range than not have it.
Most of the good 40 amp EVSEs aren't portable. These EVSE are larger and designed to be permanently attached to the wall or post.

My go to for most any EVSE is ClipperCreek. Their HCS series, specifically the HCS-40P with the NEMA 14-50 plug is one option. The HCS series share a common housing (large) that employs passive cooling for the ClipperCreek circuit board, other components. (Note that the power plug on the HCS-40P is very short as CC strictly adheres to the EVSE standards including that the power cord (including the molded plug, not exceed 12 inches in length.)

Another option would be Grizzl-E. The Grizzl-E Classic is a 40 amp rated EVSE fitted with either a 6-50 or 14-50 power plug. Again, not small but less expensive that the CC HCS-40P and has a longer power plug cable. The Grizzl-E Mini is another option for a 40 amp rated EVSE. The mini has been "coming soon" since before Covid times.

Last edited:
Yes I ordered the $309 CCS adapter from Harum.io

I have a WC gen3 that will be installed at my home for 48amp charging.

Wall charger with 1450 pigtail is an interesting idea. Has anyone ever used this as a traveling setup? I guess if you monitored closely (such as sitting nearby, checking cable temps, only charging xxx minutes) you might even be able to safely pull more than 40 amps.

• Disagree
Reactions: jcanoe
Yes I ordered the $309 CCS adapter from Harum.io

I have a WC gen3 that will be installed at my home for 48amp charging.

Wall charger with 1450 pigtail is an interesting idea. Has anyone ever used this as a traveling setup? I guess if you monitored closely (such as sitting nearby, checking cable temps, only charging xxx minutes) you might even be able to safely pull more than 40 amps
In the early wall chargers, you set the dip switches that would determine the output. Whenever charging with AC, you can set the amperage in the car so you would not exceed what it should be. If the 1450 has a 60 amp breaker, which should be code, you are good at 48 A, because consistently, while charging, you should not exceed 80% of the breaker.

• Disagree
Reactions: vlee
In the early wall chargers, you set the dip switches that would determine the output. Whenever charging with AC, you can set the amperage in the car so you would not exceed what it should be. If the 1450 has a 60 amp breaker, which should be code, you are good at 48 A, because consistently, while charging, you should not exceed 80% of the breaker.
A 14-50 receptacle should never be used on a circuit with a 60 amp breaker. The 14-50 receptacle is only rated for a maximum of 50 amps.

A 14-50 receptacle should never be used on a circuit with a 60 amp breaker. The 14-50 receptacle is only rated for a maximum of 50 amps.
Correct - 14-50 Receptacles would be 50A breakers in the wild. (40A in some cases, not common enough to go into)

Anything with a 60A breaker would be hard wired - I don't believe the NEMA 14-60R is permitted anymore for vehicle charging.