Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40kwh customers shouldn't upgrade to 60....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The customers who were lucky enough to order the 40kwh version and who will get the 60 are blessed with luck.

If they had got a real 40kwh battery then the degradation of the battery will all have been borne by you the customer from its first charge onwards.

As it stands you will continue to enjoy a full and healthy 40kwh range for the duration of your ownership, because as the 60kwh battery degrades, it will be degrading from the 60 and Tesla motors is bearing the degradation there.

It will be years and years before the degradation gets the battery down to a true 40kwh capacity.

Imo you all should never upgrade since all you'll be doing is taking ownership of the degraded block of the battery so to speak.

Enjoy the bonus battery life that you have been given and the better performance. You guys are the real winners!

Respectfully, I am not sure this makes sense. With reasonable care, the degradation will only be a few percent after 3 to 4 to 5 years (after exactly 3 years, my Roadster has lost 3-4%).

If the buyer of one of these feels the need to travel further, the upgrade WILL make economic sense, I believe.

And we do not know how Tesla is managing the limit to 40 kWh. If they can disable the 20 kWh-worth of cells completely via software or simple hardware, they will degrade much more slowly, since they will not be cycled.

In essence, Tesla is making a bet that you are not correct-- that many people will upgrade. Otherwise the economics of shipping all those extra cells would not work out, relative to keeping both configurations. I would be inclined to believe that they know what they are doing-- since, well, they know what they are actually doing under the covers.

The customers who were lucky enough to order the 40kwh version and who will get the 60 are blessed with luck.

If they had got a real 40kwh battery then the degradation of the battery will all have been borne by you the customer from its first charge onwards.

As it stands you will continue to enjoy a full and healthy 40kwh range for the duration of your ownership, because as the 60kwh battery degrades, it will be degrading from the 60 and Tesla motors is bearing the degradation there.

It will be years and years before the degradation gets the battery down to a true 40kwh capacity.

Imo you all should never upgrade since all you'll be doing is taking ownership of the degraded block of the battery so to speak.

Enjoy the bonus battery life that you have been given and the better performance. You guys are the real winners!

I will upgrade once I95 superchargers are fully operational.

I would also question whether it is true that "As it stands you will continue to enjoy a full and healthy 40kwh range for the duration of your ownership, because as the 60kwh battery degrades, it will be degrading from the 60 and Tesla motors is bearing the degradation there."

We do not know how Tesla has modified the software to create the 40, but they could have easily just locked off the bottom 20 KWH via software. If that is true, the 40 would degrade the same as the 60.

Enjoy the bonus battery life that you have been given and the better performance.

I'm taking delivery of my 40kwh end of May/June. I changed from a 60 to a 40 as the only way to make my personal math work.

I do feel quite fortunate in the way Tesla handled the 40kwh cancellations and treated it's customers.

Since the announcement, I thought long and hard about unlocking the 60k battery now vs. paying the $1000 penalty later; i.e. it would be nice to have the range to to visit my parents...

However, I've decided not to upgrade. While there potentially could be a benefit in having an 'artificially' longer lifespan pack; I now feel there is also intrinsic value in owning a "40" as they're now somewhat rare. You can walk into any Tesla store and order a 60 or 85, but you can't get a 40... and you never will.

I do hope they put the "40" badge on the software locked "60's". I shall drive it with pride.

Last edited: