TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

40kwh Model S canceled

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by gobagheera, Mar 31, 2013.

1. gobagheera

gobagheera Member

According to @Justin_Hyde tweet, 40s have been canceled. The people who reserved 40kwh will get 60s that will be limited to 40kwh.

2. Man_Utd

Man_Utd Member

3. Marcus Adolfsson

Thought it was an April 1st thing, but guess not.

Tesla Model S Sales Exceed Target | Press Releases | Tesla Motors

4. ohmslaw

ohmslaw Member

5. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Well isn't this an interesting development...

Put on your hip waders 'cause there's going to be a sh*t storm over this one.

6. wts13

wts13 Member

If it turns out that people can hack their 40kw's into 60kw's, I'll be hella pissed :p

What does the last paragraph mean? Is Supercharging now included in the price of the 60kw (meaning that people like me who paid extra will be refunded) or is it merely software limited like the 40kw pack if you don't pay for it?

7. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

So put another way... There is a $10,000 incentive (per unit) in hacking a piece of software code in a car that's selling very well in Silicon Valley. Okidokey then...

- - - Updated - - -

I think you're right. This will be NYT all over again...

- - - Updated - - -

I think it means they never bothered with any hardware differences between Supercharge enabled/disabled 60kwh cars, just a software tweak. So now any 60kwh car can be supercharge enabled by $2000 and some secret software setting. (Speculating... but that's what it sounds like.)

8. ohmslaw

ohmslaw Member

The hardware is there, but if you want to use it you need to pay and they'll turn it on.

9. joepruitt

joepruitt Seattle Sig Red #497

Big bonuses for all 40 and 60kw customers out there!

10. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

4% want the 40Kwh... ok, I guess that makes some sense. Existing orders get filled with something that gives the range of the 40 but prolly actually has many miles after the 0 miles left mark.

Supercharger 'hardware' always seemed like a magical thing to me. Never could figure out what exactly they were talking about. So just going with all cars get supercharger 'hardware' and you pay extra for the privilege on a 60Kwh battery is a small step to just including access for everybody anyway. But they've prolly already cashed some checks with the extra cost, so they can't go back without sending out some refunds.

11. wts13

wts13 Member

I'm sorry...but...this software limited business rubs me the wrong way. If the hardware is there, I should damn well be able to use it. My $0.03.

12. ohmslaw

ohmslaw Member

Then you should be willing to pay for it.

13. ohaq

ohaq Model S #P9,326

I think all 60s will have the hardware but still have to pay 2000 to be able to use the chargers i.e. have the functionality enabled. I wonder what about the 40 ones they will limit the range but can they use superchargers? or even pay 2000 to have it enabled.

14. Trnsl8r

15. GOLD.s

GOLD.s Member

Wow if you bought a 40 you gotta a hell of a deal. You basically can get the extended range later on if you end up needing it. Plus I doubt you will have any battery wear like the other packs because its still a much larger battery pack. Consider yourselves very lucky IMHO.

16. Trnsl8r

To be fair about the supercharger access, it's not just about flipping a switch in the hardware, there is also the usage of the superchargers (wear, tear, and electrons). If supercharger access is not worth anything to you, you saved $2k. It's another way of looking at it.

17. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

The idea is not to piss off the people who paid $10k extra for the 60kWh pack and $2k for supercharging. You essentially get a free boost to your resale value since your car is now easily upgradeable to one level higher and you also get a boost in performance and longevity of the pack. There's really nothing to complain about if you reserved a 40kWh version.

The interesting thing is that we now know the price of the 40kWh version is enough to cover the cost of the extra 20kWh worth of batteries.

Side point, if this was an April fools joke this would be one heck of an April fools joke.

18. ohmslaw

ohmslaw Member

Agree. But I wouldn't be surprised if some disputes about the software turn up. Someone who runs out of juice and is dead on the road might wonder exactly how the software does its math :)

19. Man_Utd

Man_Utd Member

How would the 60kwh people feel that the 40kwh cars got the same thing but paid 10k less. I'm just thankful that they didn't limit the 0-60. And on top of that, you now have a supercharger.

20. ohaq

ohaq Model S #P9,326

WIth the 40s does it mean that the battery would never be fully charged? What they should do is that you get the full range but after 160 miles the car max speed is only 10-20 mph so that we can get to a charging station, instead of getting it towed away.