Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40kwh Model S canceled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For half a decade Tesla said they would have a $50k dollar car. Looks like they just pushed that date back.

Wait, why is that? You can still buy a 40 for the same price. It's justa discounted/software limited 60. Am I reading it wrong?

You could. Don't think you can any more. So in a way you're both wrong. Or right, depends on how you look at it.

You might not be able to do so after today. As I said, it depends on if they are taking a loss (or close to it) on the 40kWh version given this change. If they are then they will obviously stop offering it for sale and just address the 4% that have ordered so far.

It's pretty clear they aren't taking new orders. Read the announcement - all references to the 40kWh are past tense. e.g. "those who orderED will receive..."

Hilarious. People mad Tesla didn't give the customer the choice about the ceiling material in their car before it 'appears' to have been changed (we still don't know exactly what or why) and declared they would have been fine about it if told up front and given a choice, so now Tesla gives news up front, and offers a choice, and still people aren't happy. Let's face it, some people can't ever be made happy.

Well I'm confused. I'm one of the folks waiting to get my reservation in, sometime in the next 60 days :/ and from what I just heard and see in this thread, the 40kwh is no more? Correct? The 40kwh is the one I'm interested in. So, I have to cough up 10k more??
From what I can tell, if you haven't locked in your 40kwh reservation (finalized, I assume) then you'll have the option removed and must get the 60kwh.

Perfectly understandable if you cancel at that point.

Software limiting is common. Laser copiers, microwaves, and all sorts of appliances have exactly the same components.
Yep. Ages ago, there was an IBM laser printer (don't remember the model, but I'm pretty sure it was before they were spun off as Lexmark) where it was identical to its faster version but there was either a different motherboard or ROM revision that physically limited the # of pages per minute it could output at max.

I believe in tests where heavy graphics were involved (in which you'd be way below the max ppm output rate anyway), the slower and faster model were identical in perf.

This was in PC Magazines ages ago.

I really do wonder if this press release is an early April Fool's joke...
I can see developing and supporting a 40kWh option costing more than that in R&D.
They already do have one, it's shipped to Toyota for the Rav4 EV.

However, I'd imagine that there's more other work and certification (e.g. crash testing, EPA 5-cycle test for range value, etc.) that would need to be done to ship a Model S with it, along w/the support (e.g. warranty, needing to produce/stock parts for another SKU, etc.) needed.

Also, perhaps Tesla doesn't feel their margins for the car overall are sufficient if they sold a 40 kwh model.

Last edited:
Well I'm confused. I'm one of the folks waiting to get my reservation in, sometime in the next 60 days :/ and from what I just heard and see in this thread, the 40kwh is no more? Correct? The 40kwh is the one I'm interested in. So, I have to cough up 10k more??

So far, it is still available to order on the web page. No telling when it might go away.

One of the problems with the 40 is that the longevity would be decreased due to the likely increased need to charge to 100% --- that is no longer an issue. Heck, the "40" will last the longest now, since it can be charged to "100%" yet it really will only be 66%, and hence have a much improved battery use pattern.

One of the problems with the 40 is that the longevity would be decreased due to the likely increased need to charge to 100% --- that is no longer an issue. Heck, the "40" will last the longest now, since it can be charged to "100%" yet it really will only be 66%, and hence have a much improved battery use pattern.
Well, hopefully the "40 kWh" cars will use the bottom of the charge instead of the top of the charge to limit utility to 40 kWh. Good news for 40 kWh owners and for 60 kWh owners who didn't order supercharging but are now regretting that decision.

I wonder if the "40 kWh" cars will also include supercharging hardware? And will all 60 kWh cars in the future also include supercharging hardware that can be enabled at a later date?

That's an interesting point, I wonder if Tesla will allow 40kWh owners to charge up to the 160 miles range (as EPA range is not yet available), it would be similar to a range charge but without the negative of faster degradation. And only 30 miles less then a standard charge on a 60kWh pack--good deal for the few who ordered the 40kWh.

Great move by Tesla!