Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40kwh Model S canceled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a 40kwh reservation holder, I am emotionally drained. This announcement does nothing for me. When is Tesla building my car? I am more ticked off about the communication process regarding the 40kwh owners. This is twice I have had to find out about the drama of 40kwh issues via press releases or quarterly statements. I would have expected news like this in the form of a targeted email. I will probably still hold out and wait for the car, but as for the other 18 people in my office who are watching this soap opera, they will most likley never be Tesla customers.
I think what they've done makes things right for existing 40kWh reservation holders. (Though I don't think they well allow any more in the future.)
It's true that they no longer have an excuse to delay those cars.

Also since Tesla is a public company, there are rules about how this kind of information is released. So the targeted email likely wouldn't be kosher with the SEC.

As a 40kwh reservation holder, I am emotionally drained. This announcement does nothing for me. When is Tesla building my car? I am more ticked off about the communication process regarding the 40kwh owners. This is twice I have had to find out about the drama of 40kwh issues via press releases or quarterly statements. I would have expected news like this in the form of a targeted email. I will probably still hold out and wait for the car, but as for the other 18 people in my office who are watching this soap opera, they will most likley never be Tesla customers.

What do you expect from a publicly traded company? Hate the SEC, not the Tesla process.

I never rec'd an email, and funny thing was, I spoke with a rep this AM, and they did not mention the bump in price if you choose to wait. Not that well handled by Tesla IMO. I appreciate the ability to upgrade in the future, and am happy about this happening, but still - need to communicate with the customers better.

Just now received an email on this issue. I would have expected it 5 minutes after the press release.

Getting out the same day is reasonable to me. I'd be willing to bet that most Tesla customers aren't watching every single piece of information that comes out of the company quite as closely as we here at TMC are.

The upgrade to 60kwh later can be $10k now or $11k later. Supercharger $2K now or $2.5k later.

Can you provide the full text of the email? Enquiring minds want to know.

I never rec'd an email, and funny thing was, I spoke with a rep this AM, and they did not mention the bump in price if you choose to wait. Not that well handled by Tesla IMO. I appreciate the ability to upgrade in the future, and am happy about this happening, but still - need to communicate with the customers better.

The news was released on Easter Sunday night. It's quite conceivable that not every Tesla employee has been made aware of the changes by the time you called this morning. It's not even 11am there yet. Patience is still a virtue.

The new info from this email:

"Your current Model S order will now be automatically updated to include the software limited 60kwh battery. If you would like to upgrade to full 60kwh range now, before your car goes into production, you can do so for $10,000. If you choose not to upgrade now, you have the option to upgrade to full 60kwh range at a later date for $11,000.

If you choose to upgrade your battery, you can then also purchase the Supercharger upgrade and receive unlimited, free long distance travel for life. Supercharging can be added before production for $2,000 or at a later date for $2500.

We have one other piece of good news to share, your car will be produced sooner as a result of this change. Therfore, it is important that we know right away if you would like to upgrade your battery to full 60kwh range and add Supercharging. ....."

The big question is this.... will the "40kwh" pack shutdown when it runs out of 40kwh as if it only had 40kwh or would it limp around at very limited power so you can get to the nearest charge station. Could be a "safety" feature :)

Just now received an email on this issue. I would have expected it 5 minutes after the press release.

The upgrade to 60kwh later can be $10k now or $11k later. Supercharger $2K now or $2.5k later.

I can confirm. I called to find out what was going on and was told the same thing. 40kwh owners will have the option to upgrade to 60kwh for $11K at a later date. Similarly, 40kwh or 60kwh owners (without supercharger) will have the option to upgrade to a supercharger for $2.5k at a later date.

I'm long time 40kwhreservation holder (~1.5 years) but upgraded a week or so ago to the 60 becasue I was told that would ensure an earlier delivery. My question was whether I could revert back to my 40kwh reservation. They don't know at this point... seems they are getting inundated with calls. Since I only drive ~75 miles per week, the 40kwh pack is clearly sufficient. Having the future option to upgrade makes it a slam dunk for me.

Last edited:
I talked to the rep in CA and he says the 40kw will only be available for a very limited time. I still don't understand the cost of $11k to upgrade later (software setting?) I know they are trying to make everyone happy but really?

Also no supercharger, you basically have to pay 11k for the 60kw then $2500 to get the supercharger after delivery.

I talked to the rep in CA and he says the 40kw will only be available for a very limited time. I still don't understand the cost of $11k to upgrade later (software setting?) I know they are trying to make everyone happy but really?

Also no supercharger, you basically have to pay 11k for the 60kw then $2500 to get the supercharger after delivery.

Which is the same amount you'd have to pay for a supercharger and 60kw before delivery.

I don't read it that way. What I see is TM acknowledging the '60kWh middle adopter' penalty and trying to make things right by bumping the aftermarket upgrade prices. Which means the middle adopters got their extra 20kWh and Supercharger capability for a substantial discount compared to 40kWh owners who upgrade after the sale.

I think the $1,000 & $500 incremental charges sound reasonable. You are actually getting a time value from the $ you saved now. Obviously Tesla should charge an "admin fee" / "interest" if you would like to enable the features later. Otherwise, they would have collected the $10K+2K up front.