TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

40kwh ordering

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by stealthnhawk, Jan 22, 2013.

1. stealthnhawk

stealthnhawk Member

Just wondering, would anyone have actual number of people ordering 40kwh version?
    Can someone help start an excel list for it similar to the red color tracking? Thanks

2. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

You might be able to extrapolate the number from this poll:
    Poll: For P/R reservations, which battery/motor did you finalize ?

But you've been on this forum far longer than I have so you may have already seen this . . .

3. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

I don't think the polls are too accurate here of the overall reservations. We seem to be more concentrated on the 85/60's packs here on the forums. Not too many here on the forums going with the 40kw. IMO, 40kw is a great car for the price, even without adding any options.

4. Dave5609

Dave5609 Member

Agree! The 40kwh battery is a great option for anyone that doesn't need the range. The 60kwh is looking to deliver a better kwh/mile ratio than the 85 and I'm hoping the 40 continues this trend..believe this is a result of the lower curb weight. Really looking forward to seeing the EPA data on the 40..mostly because this means we're getting close..and after 4 years of waiting for this car (I'm #R75), I'm ready for that delivery button!!!

5. htsai14752

htsai14752 Member

Based on calculations it seems like the S40 will be really slow. Even more than my ice car because of the weight/power ratio.

6. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Might not happen if the 40 is using lower energy density cells than the 60 and 85, not sure if there is concrete data on this yet.

7. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

I bet the S40 will still be plenty fun to drive (and the reported 0-60 of 6.5 seconds is still pretty respectable). I have a 200 hp 3,300 lb car with a 5-speed manual transmission and despite the power to weight ratio it feels MUCH faster than my wife's 280 hp 3,700 lb sedan with an automatic transmission. Instant throttle response and not having to wait for the automatic transmission to decide to downshift when you stomp on the gas peddle makes a BIG difference. I also bet the S40 will get more of its 235 hp to the ground than a 235 hp ICE car since the S40 has such a simple drive train.

- - - Updated - - -

The Tesla salesperson I spoke with said there was a weight difference of "a few hundred pounds" between each size battery. This is consistent with ddruz's post here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12879-60-kwh-vs-85-khw/page5 that states:

"The curb weight of the 60kWh Model S is listed at 4464lb. As for the battery cells, the 60kWh uses the same cell type as the 85kWh battery, but less of them.
    "

If anyone wants to play the S40 curb weight lottery, I'll go out on a limb and guess 4,318 lbs (this is simply an extrapolation of the 4647 lbs 85 kWh and 4464 lbs 60 kWh curb weights)

8. htsai14752

htsai14752 Member

If it's true that Tesla uses ballast packs to distribute the weight of the vehicle then the curb weight of the car will be the same as the 85 kWh pack. I've also read that the batteries used in the 40kWh are different than the ones used on the 85. The 40 kWh batteries might be of larger size and weight. Anyways I came up with a 19.77 lb/hp ratio for the 40 kWh if it truly is the same weight as the 85. This is compared to the 11.17 lb/hp for a p85. I wish I could get a p85 but it's not practical for my needs and I can't justify the price either. It's 40 kWh or bust for me.

9. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

We know the cells in the 60 and 85 are the same cells, and we know the 60 weighs less than the 85. We don't yet know what the 40 weighs.

10. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Slow is all relative. My wife will be switching from a Honda Odyssey to the MS 40kw. It'll be faster than the Honda for sure. Spec wise the 40kw seems comparable to say a MB E350, but the instant torque and lack of transmission will make the car feel faster than it is.

We'll hear more once the 40's start shipping in March.