Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$4200 for insurance?? If comfortable, please share what you pay?

Annual Tesla Insurance Premium

• Under $1000

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • $1000 - $2000

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • $2000 - $3000

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • $3000 - $4000

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Over $4000

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone with a p85+ want to chime in with their rates?

$1060 for the Tesla
4 cars
clean record
3 drivers, one is a teenaged boy (with no Tesla key, alas)
Amica

Just went through the gyration of comparing and changing insurance companies. If you have kids w/negative history, remove them from you policy as soon as possible or you really pay for it over and over.

I also learned that USAA is really several captive ins companies and you will be written on a one or the other depending on a) Active military/retired officer (USAA) b) Active military/retired enlisted (usaa-gic) c) military brat (usaa-cic) d) offspring of a military brat (garrison). All different rates. Best rates seem to go the a) and b) where USAA premiums are lower, not so much c) and d).

Shopping around can really pay if you have not done it in a while.

Last edited:
P85
1100/yr two drivers clean record (this amount also includes another ICE commuter but it's like $185 /yr)
im currently with State Farm but just did some shopping around as I'm about to hit my anniversary date and found much better coverage with progressive at around $900 for both cars /year.

I got got quotes for the same coverage 300/300/300 for both my cars as that what Washington requires and had anywhere from $900/year up to $3500 /year for the exact same coverage and some even less for more money. So I'm not sure why. I will say that progressive and State Farm have the loan lease payoff so that if you one more on your car it's worth they'll cover the difference.

i think someone mentioned stated value, be careful with this (I may have read this wrong) many companies will change an arm and a leg for this coverage and then in extremely fine print it will say something to the effect of it will pay stated value or FMV whichever is the lessor. I worked for a company that provided insurance they charge a ton of money for this supposed coverage and then people would total outs their loans would pay out, but if they paid for $90k and FMV was $75 they only got $75.

i think someone mentioned stated value, be careful with this (I may have read this wrong) many companies will change an arm and a leg for this coverage and then in extremely fine print it will say something to the effect of it will pay stated value or FMV whichever is the lessor. I worked for a company that provided insurance they charge a ton of money for this supposed coverage and then people would total outs their loans would pay out, but if they paid for $90k and FMV was $75 they only got $75.

Agreed value was brought up (and that's what you want if you want more than actual cash value). Nobody here probably wants stated value, but putting out the difference is probably worthwhile. Differences explained here:
Agreed Value vs. Stated Value

I'm currently with PEMCO.

I am with PEMCO as well (home, cars, umbrella) - they offer very good rates for multiple policies. There is no guaranteed replacement, not sure about agreed value. For anyone in OR or WA, PEMCO usually has pretty good rates for drivers with good records and won't even bother if you have too many points.

2 vehicles - 2014 VW Passat, 2014 S60
126/month
2 drivers, no accidents, 1 ticket

San Diego location, only driver, clean record, 53 years old
3 cars (2000 Honda Odyssey rarely used - only comp coverage, 2011 Nissan LEAF, 2013 Tesla Model S P85)
Total premium $650 for 6 months from Ameriprise (Costco) for full coverage, and $1,000 deductible
Tesla is $363 of that $650 for 6 months coverage

Have homeowners insurance through Ameriprise as well (~$1,000 per year)

Geico
300/500K limits
$500 comprehensive deductible
$1,000 collision deductible
SoCal
2 drivers, ages 33 and 28 (no accidents or tickets in past 5+ years)
2 vehicles - '11 BMW X5 and '14 P85
$2,067 per year for entire policy ($1,289 of that is for P85)

For accurate comparisons, all the above info is needed.

I'm at $3800/year but I have commercial insurance, 1 mil policy with 500 deductible. 2 accidents within the past 5 years (Equipment failure for one (someone tampered with my brakes) and city of milwaukee was to blame for the first one, but without spending more money then I have in court, it was "my fault", not crappy driving.....)

about $680/year with $1000 deductibles for everything and $250/500K limits
for comparison: one of other cars, 2012 X5d is ~$750/yr
2 drivers, M + F in late 30-ies, 3 cars + home + life
No accidents (knock on wood). No tickets in last ~5 years, lots of speeding tix older than 5 y.o.
State Farm

1. $4155/year
2. Same as above, it's my first and only car :biggrin:
3. One car
4. One driver
5. Amica Mutual
State: Michigan (no-fault insurance required)
Avg. daily mileage: 50 miles
Accidents/Tickets: None
Limits: 100k/300k
Deductibles: $1000
Broadened Collision (this is just over half the premium)

I shopped around and found a wide range of quotes. Amica was the second lowest, only beat by Geico which was just over $3000/year, but I've heard too many horror stories about Geico and didn't want to take the chance with such an expensive car, plus my dad had good things to say about Amica. Farmers was by far the most expensive, over $15000/year for similar coverage.

For comparison, when I was on my parent's Amica insurance with four drivers and two cars (1997 Honda Odyssey and 2013 Ford C-Max Energi), it was just under $4900/year with about half the coverage and deductibles and no accidents or tickets for a few years that I can recall.

Wow Pilot - that is truly amazing. Having lived in CA, I get their high premiums - high COL, crazy drivers, high density, lots of criminals (West LA in the 90s). I think I paid $1300 every 6 months for liability alone as a kid (1991) which would be $5k a year today per year.

From an outsider, the only issues with MI would be snow.

"Broadened Collision" - is that code word for rip off...

2 tips: Bargain with them, and ASK AN INDEPENDENT INSURANCE CARRIER TOO! They shop for the best deals for you.
Having said that, I just called around.
And believe me... it helps to tell your CURRENT carrier you are dropping them, which I was going to do. Geico originally quoted me $2,000 a year and barely had heard of a Tesla.
I called Progressive and they quoted me $1,200. I called Geico back and told them I'm dropping them. They were nice BOTH times BTW. But they did a little figuring and research into the electric vehicle... and now the quote for the Tesla dropped from $2,000 to $950!

But I have 2 cars, so my deal is, I'm paying $1,200 a year for my Tesla AND my Hyundai Genesis. Before I got the Tesla in June, the Genesis alone was $1,200 so WHAT THE HELL! I'm paying the same for 2 cars. Thats when they told me, if I end up selling the Genesis, the Tesla will be about $950 per year.

1. $4155/year
2. Same as above, it's my first and only car :biggrin:
3. One car
4. One driver
5. Amica Mutual
State: Michigan (no-fault insurance required)
Avg. daily mileage: 50 miles
Accidents/Tickets: None
Limits: 100k/300k
Deductibles: $1000
Broadened Collision (this is just over half the premium)

I shopped around and found a wide range of quotes. Amica was the second lowest, only beat by Geico which was just over $3000/year, but I've heard too many horror stories about Geico and didn't want to take the chance with such an expensive car, plus my dad had good things to say about Amica. Farmers was by far the most expensive, over $15000/year for similar coverage.

For comparison, when I was on my parent's Amica insurance with four drivers and two cars (1997 Honda Odyssey and 2013 Ford C-Max Energi), it was just under $4900/year with about half the coverage and deductibles and no accidents or tickets for a few years that I can recall.

Wow. I know ppl with DUI's on their record at half the rate you were quoted. Something seems very wrong there if your record is clean. $15k a year is like buying a brand new car every year. Albeit a cheap one but still.

"Broadened Collision" - is that code word for rip off...
It sure seems like it, but the coverage is too important to not have. I've attached the page describing it.

When I asked why insurance is so expensive, I was told it's because I live in Michigan. The no-fault insurance is a huge part of it, meaning my insurance will need to pay for my damages/injuries even if another insured motorist is entirely at fault, unless the at-fault motorist agrees to cover me. Because of this, I can't really compare with insurance in other states, so I'm curious to know about the insurance of other owners in Michigan.

Attachments

• Amica_Collision_Coverage.pdf
    11.8 KB · Views: 95
When I asked why insurance is so expensive, I was told it's because I live in Michigan. The no-fault insurance is a huge part of it, meaning my insurance will need to pay for my damages/injuries even if another insured motorist is entirely at fault, unless the at-fault motorist agrees to cover me. Because of this, I can't really compare with insurance in other states

New Jersey is also a no fault state with rates pretty much higher than anywhere else in the country due to the no-fault insurance. That said, again, with Progressive mine was between $800-$1100 per YEAR depending on the coverage/deductible. The $800/yr low side being $500 deductible for 100/300/100 or $1100/yr high side (I just switched to this) being $250 deductible for $500k umbrella. Even being a no-fault state, that insurance rate is still quite low.