Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

436 Wh/Mi average over 4K miles. Is something wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased car in December. 90D, 20" wheels.

Now have 4K miles, and the trip meter shows a 436Wh/Mi average over the last 4K miles. Car has taken an 800 mile road trip, a few 200 mile trips into the mountains, and then the rest is normal mixed city/highway stuff. It was a cold winter in Seattle, and I do usually have kids in the back with the heat on there too. Yesterday it was warmer out and just cruising on the highway for 30 miles at 70 MPH I noticed a 410Wh/Mi average over those 30 miles.

This seems high!? I see in the Wh tracker that mid-high 300's is more normal.

Any ideas?

• Love
Reactions: InsaneDriver
Now have 4K miles, and the trip meter shows a 436Wh/Mi average over the last 4K miles. It was a cold winter in Seattle, and I do usually have kids in the back with the heat on there too. Yesterday it was warmer out and just cruising on the highway for 30 miles at 70 MPH I noticed a 410Wh/Mi average over those 30 miles.

This seems high!? I see in the Wh tracker that mid-high 300's is more normal.

Any ideas?

Heated usage & Speed are the two major factors for me. I averaged between 400-500 during a NE winter, same type of driving as you and with the heater set to a comfortable 70 degrees.

As the weather got warmer (80 degrees) the heat went off and I was able to get ~250wh/mi doing local, ~320-350 doing a mix. If I'm moving faster (70+mph) then it goes back up near 400.

These electric cars, especially the X; are not a huge fan of consistent highway cruising. They are very aero sensitive, and do not get to take advantage of regen.

These electric cars, especially the X; are not a huge fan of consistent highway cruising. They are very aero sensitive, and do not get to take advantage of regen.

Highly suggest TACC behind pretty much any vehicle will increase range considerably. The larger the vehicle the better. 250wh/Mile at 65 when following. Drops to 400wh/Mile at 70 on the open road. Over 7000 miles I'm at about 399 but must of that was in freezing weather, for me 40 degrees seems perfect. The battery warms fast and doesn't get got enough to require cooling unless super charging.

@gearchruncher , a big portion of your consumption is likely the rear heater. I've measured startup spikes of 2.4 kW, and steady state of 1.7 kW. The heat output is poor in the back so you normally have to run it much higher than normal.
If your children are not in car seats, I recommend experimenting with seat heaters only in the back (if you have the cold wx package). I just went through a Colorado winter doing this and my boys were quite comfortable without the rear cabin heater.
Also, if you set the front air flow to include the dash vents, the 2nd row will get air flow through the center console duct. This is a way to get 2nd row heat without turning on the power-hogging rear heater.
Finally, on cold mornings, turn on Range Mode until the battery warms up. This prevents the battery heater turning on for short local trips.
Our winter average in a 75D was 330 Wh/mile.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
3000 miles in.
P100D, 22" wheels, 6 seater, driven in FL, AC always on, Rear AC off 90% of time, Range mode on 50% of time, drive it in sport mode 90% of time, only done a few launches, trying to baby it as much as I can. 80/20 City/Hwy driving. I usually run at 78mph on highway. 75% of driving is with 2 passengers.

Lifetime average = 442

I have a 20mile loop I do a few times a week that is a good mix of limited access 60mph roads and then plenty of stop lights (about 50/50). If I really baby it and maximize regenerative braking I can squeak out a 390-400 average. It takes real concentration to make that happen.

Plus side.. The 22s look awesome! High level of neighbor envy. That is worth something.

My wife Model S85 sitting on 21"s with 21,000 miles has a lifetime average of 335ish. We both have similar driving styles.