Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

45 Minute quick charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi David - I didn't forget - I just think that CHAdeMO could be superceded rapidly by the J1772 DC standard. Really on no evidential basis - but I want 200kW!
I think CHAdeMO will become the de facto standard. Leaf (and iMiEV) will have it. So will the Toyota & Honda EVs (I think). Focus EV will have nothing. Millions will be spent putting public CHAdeMO chargers in western and other states.

J1772 DC standard hasn't even started. Nobody has made a prototype for SAE yet.

Or are there any approaches to unite both connectors into one (some sort of CHAdeMO1772)
The SAE are working on a new version of the J1772 connector with extra pins for DC;

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/earthobservationsSCC/IEEE_SAE_J1772_Update_10_02_08_Gery_Kissel.pdf

I think the US we will see both CHAdeMO and J1772 connectors for some time to come.... my guess is that this is now beyond the control of the standards committees and the market will decide which solution dominates in future.

Well the problem is that CHAdeMO doesn't carry AC so the only way to unite them is to put them next to each other like Nissan has done. There are going to be so many CHAdeMOs in the field by the time the Model S launches that not supporting it will be daft - even if the car can charge at higher rates, you are still not going to turn your nose up at 50kW if you come across one so you want to have the receptacle. However that means that you need to support AC level 2, CHAdeMO and whatever faster DC solution Tesla chooses for the 45 minute charge.

Maybe that bulbous black grille hides three charging ports :biggrin: ?

Elon Musk announced AC-charging up to 22kW and up to 277V. JB Straubel even promised 3-phase charging for europe.

Did you hear this in Milan? Since my dutch Tesla representative called me 2 days ago and said 3-phase was not sure yet for the Model S. He was in Milan too. He told me that the 1-phase vs 3-phase culture (US vs EU) was causing problems, in the US they did not see the benefit of 3-phase charging.

I really do hope 3-phase will be supported, I don't see charging 84kWh with just 230V 32A

I really do hope 3-phase will be supported, I don't see charging 84kWh with just 230V 32A

Well, it depends on your driving habits I guess. I can't spare more than 16A, maybe 20A for charging at home. For 1-phase that is 3.7-4.6KW. So a 24-hour charge may sometimes be required, but since we don't use the car for commuting and it frequently isn't used for 3-4 days it should be ok to charge with 16A.

On the road is a different matter, with no 3-phase 400V 63A support (44kW) we'd need more DC quick charge stations instead.

Well, it depends on your driving habits I guess. I can't spare more than 16A, maybe 20A for charging at home. For 1-phase that is 3.7-4.6KW. So a 24-hour charge may sometimes be required, but since we don't use the car for commuting and it frequently isn't used for 3-4 days it should be ok to charge with 16A.

On the road is a different matter, with no 3-phase 400V 63A support (44kW) we'd need more DC quick charge stations instead.
I regularly make a 440km roundtrip to Amsterdam. I can charge there, but it will be no exception that I drive about 500km on a day. While the Model S with the 480km pack (Under best curcumstances!) should be able to do that with minimal charging, having a bit spare in the pack would be nice.

A lot of roads in The Netherlands are going up from 120km/h to 130km/h, so that will cost me some extra energy.

The DC stations will have 3-phase available, they simply convert 3-phase AC to 1-phase DC. I really do not see the benefit of DC charging.

All dutch charging stations are going to support at least 3x16A, but some will support 3x32A or even 3x63A.

Do you have a source for that last sentence? That would be useful to pass on to TM.

Yes, I do (Dutch): Wat zijn de specificaties van de oplaadpunten van e-laad.nl?

E-Laad is placing 10.000 (before 2013) charging points in The Netherlands, where they chose 62196-2 (Mennekes) plug.

Although the link I posted is in Dutch, you should be able to understand it. The current points are all 3x16A, but in the near future they will start deploying 3x32A and even 3x63A, all based on the 62196-2 / Mennekes plug.

If you need anything on that website translated, just PM me!

Last edited:
This thread seems quit dead, since everything about the Quickcharge went into:

* What charge port connector?
* Tesla DC charging network

For new users to this forum who are searching for information: Tesla announced that they will use one single connector which should be able to handle 90kW DC charging, this should give a 80% SoC (State of Charge) in about 45 min.

The exact details of the DC charging are unknown. CHAdeMO (although unlikely) or SAE DC? That is something time will tell.

The DC charger would consist of 9 10kW chargers, which have to be devided over 3-phases to get to 90kW.

Status
Not open for further replies.