Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

45 Minute QuickCharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of those chargers likely costs $200 to $300 to build and from $300 to $2000 to install (YMMV). They could give them away free to the right locations and let the local business take care of collecting from the customer. I imagine that, depending upon the business, either a flat fee of $5 to $10 or no fee would apply. I actually thought about purchasing an extra charger (as shown in the options) and giving it to a B&B where I stay regularly.

Just as an exercise - if Tesla gave everyone who bought their cars 1 free year ( or 12000 miles worth ) of electricity:
On a year Tesla sold 20,000 cars at an average price of $70,000 each, that would be $1.4 billion of revenue.
If those cars drove 12000 miles per year and averaged wall to wheels 3miles/per kWh and Tesla paid $0.11 per kWh that would be $8.8 million.
Or about 0.6% of revenue.

Before they could deliver all those kWh, they would probably have to install at a reasonable minimum 400 superchargers ( assuming each one of them had a car charging 25% of the time, thats 6 hours of use each day, 365 days per year )
I think it is more likely that they would have to install 1000 superchargers to provide that much electiricity due to demand clumping ( everybody wants to charge saturday or sunday at noon, but very few tuesday at 2pm ), and plug blocking ( your car is done but you havent disconnected yet ).
How long do you think it will take for them to install 1000 superchargers?

How long do you think it will take for them to install 1000 superchargers?

It depends on how they go about it and how much of a priority they make it. If they just give the job to one person, I likely won't have to worry about locations. If they give it to 100 people, it could be done within a year.

FWIW, the Tesla representative asked me what routes I usually drove on trips.

One of those chargers likely costs $200 to $300 to build and from $300 to $2000 to install (YMMV). They could give them away free to the right locations and let the local business take care of collecting from the customer. I imagine that, depending upon the business, either a flat fee of $5 to $10 or no fee would apply. I actually thought about purchasing an extra charger (as shown in the options) and giving it to a B&B where I stay regularly.

No way a supercharger costs a few hundred dollars!

Even for Level II, the 75A version of the J1772 cable costs $500.

No way a supercharger costs a few hundred dollars!

Even for Level II, the 75A version of the J1772 cable costs $500.

Assuming he meant an HPC, not a supercharger I really believe that the plan of buying an HPC and providing it to the place you want to frequent is going to be the best way to get the charging infrastructure that you need over the next couple of years.
But in the case of a hotel or B&B, you don't really the speed of 20kW, so just donate an RV park Nema 14-50 enclosure, you can get them at Home Depot for $27.

Assuming he meant an HPC, not a supercharger I really believe that the plan of buying an HPC and providing it to the place you want to frequent is going to be the best way to get the charging infrastructure that you need over the next couple of years.
But in the case of a hotel or B&B, you don't really the speed of 20kW, so just donate an RV park Nema 14-50 enclosure, you can get them at Home Depot for $27.

Right, I was thinking of the HPC, sorry about the confusion.

The 20kW speed might be needed if there were two Teslas staying there, or if you just barely made it and wanted to go out again. My assumption is that it will be a long time before there is a supercharger network where I often go.

Plus a couple hundred $$ to pay for the electrician to install the 50A breaker and run the appropriate wire.

66.7% of the locations that I either donated to or was involved in the donation of charging equipment, they paid for the install. ( I paid for the 3rd ) I have made every attempt to frequent those businesses so they make their money back. YMMV.

It depends on how they go about it and how much of a priority they make it. If they just give the job to one person, I likely won't have to worry about locations. If they give it to 100 people, it could be done within a year.

FWIW, the Tesla representative asked me what routes I usually drove on trips.

They asked me that too; I think they were all told to ask that question. I said westbound, because going east I can get to Philly or NY within 300 miles, there are already public chargers up and down the eastern seaboard, and I can take public transportation in the Eastern seaboard cities anyway; but westbound, I have to drive (no good alternatives) and there are no chargers of any sort.

I m wondering if Tesla will have a supercharger operating at the Freemont test drives. That would be a very cool demo, and a way to make the throughput practical.
Bumping this old topic with your post.

Not at the October event, but they did SuperCharge at the test drive event.

See this pictures:
* IMG_2178 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
* IMG_2181 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
* IMG_2177 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
* IMG_2158 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
* IMG_2157 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

From this post: Get Amped Tour, Fremont, 6/23-24

The white rack is the SuperCharger, but pure a technical demo, not anything it will represent in the future.

Beefy cable btw, also fun to see how the connector did change :)

My question is, if they white box is not a refrigerator, then why is there an umbrella and chair by it? Pictures of where the charging cable is attached, would solve the mystery.