Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 Battery for Model 3 - when?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be surprised if CATL or LG were not lined up to supply the 4680s to the China Ys given the superior economics of them. But probably not worth waiting for, EV evolution is starting to get like PCs, something better comes along every 18months!

If they could get the Germans to sort out the suspension that really would be something to get excited about! Air suspension would be fine, but that would really just be hiding the fact they can’t get the conventional suspension to work!

When you think about the product lifecycle, by the dates talked about (say 2024/2025) the model 3 won’t be far off due a major revamp, and if you’re going to do a major revamp would you invest in the changes discussed before then or would you roll them into a new model? Tesla make lots of changes as they go as we all know, but designs do age and require updates, something Tesla hasn’t really done yet, even the 2021 Model S and X share far too much with the old model for me

Reactions: Kenners
I don’t believe Tesla has released any information on whether they will put 4680’s into the Model 3 yet. Seems the focus is on Model Y + 4680 + Structural Pack which is probably why you can’t find any information on it.

It’s possible they plan to do so down the line but I think they will prioritise the Y and CT first so that line could be a long one. There’s also no information on whether they will produce Model 3 at Giga Berlin-Brandenburg, but as I say, if they do, it will probably be a few years away.

I’m hoping Elon gives us a good battery update on Q4 earnings (something like “we’ve nailed down the production, we will produce 4680s in Germany at the beginning of Q2 and placing them into the Model Y” (or something like that) - that will be the best update he could give. Maybe then he will give more information about other products that Berlin will produce. Still lots of unanswered questions but think this will be a good year for Tesla.
I don’t believe Tesla has released any information on whether they will put 4680’s into the Model 3 yet. Seems the focus is on Model Y + 4680 + Structural Pack which is probably why you can’t find any information on it.

It’s possible they plan to do so down the line but I think they will prioritise the Y and CT first so that line could be a long one. There’s also no information on whether they will produce Model 3 at Giga Berlin-Brandenburg, but as I say, if they do, it will probably be a few years away.

I’m hoping Elon gives us a good battery update on Q4 earnings (something like “we’ve nailed down the production, we will produce 4680s in Germany at the beginning of Q2 and placing them into the Model Y” (or something like that) - that will be the best update he could give. Maybe then he will give more information about other products that Berlin will produce. Still lots of unanswered questions but think this will be a good year for Tesla.
In the new model 3 manual they’re showing the structural battery pack, I’m thinking in the Fremont plant they might start putting the 4680 batteries into the model 3 structural battery pack, it has been documented that Fremont had a ton of the 4680 batteries on site, Shipped some to austin but maybe the rest will go into model 3’s being assembled at the Fremont plant to stay ahead of the curve, Increasing competition in the market, Tesla is always ahead of The curve.

I was under the impression that the Plaid uses smaller batteries to allow for faster acceleration and charging as it allows for configurations that have more in parallel.

I wonder if they will do the M3P with 4680s for this reason?

I might have made it all up in my head ofc.

It will be years before the Model 3 gets the 4680. Tesla/Panasonic is not going to throw out the 2170 production lines until there is a significant benefit for replacing them. All 4680s will be going to Cybertruck, Semi, and Model Y for a while.